Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

So not a great weekend of trianing but knew it wasn't going to be leading up to it,

Fri 25th April

Cycle in and out of work and an easy 10km run in the evening, pace kept slow but grand run.

Sat 26th April

Bit of a busy day so turbo in the morning, 2 hours all sopent between 60-80% of FTP, tough enough but a lot better on the new turbo. Legs felt good right the way through.

Quick swim in the afternoon, bit of Pull and kick work and some steady 100's.

Sun 27th April

Hungover all day so no training, headed out on Sat night and knew I wouldn't be up to much Sunday. Good night out though.

Mon 28th April

Nothing again. called into work early and didn't get out until late, then had to collect the parents from the airport, so nothing done.

Tues 29th April

Finally a good session. Club spin in the park, good few from our club and a good few from Lucan cycling club turned up too. 1st lap steady and then the next three going hard on the hills and on one stretch on the flat. Went a bit smarter than usual and didn't blast up the hills from the bottom, waited until around half way up and then pushed it up. Legs felt good, although by the end they were pretty wrecked. One easy lap at the end with the gf to cool down. Never have had so many dangerous cars around me at one time though, I'd say at least 5 cars doing U turns right in front of us, rollerbladers deciding to try and skate out in the gaps between us. As well as on the very last lap having a woman in a small little car beep me to get out of her way while she was texting on her phone and another fella who thought it was his civic duty to tell me to get into the onpath cycle lane, even with the hundreds of walkers in it. The park is a dangerous place to cycle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Funnily enough, I ran in the PP about a fortnight ago and it struck me that even though there are lots of cycle paths it wasn't somewhere I would have fancied for a spin. People just seem to switch off their brains or something.

Great for a run though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

If you stick to the river side you'd be fine. I never go near the main road and only cycle on the road if i go. A bit of a tailwind heading towards town can have you at 50km/hr there and as fast as the cars are permitted to drive anyway. I cycle a lot in the park and love it. You can also get out of the city very easily through it down strawberry beds.

Was that a DWCC spin? Id be interested in hearing if they happen again. I've been in touch with a few about evening spins as the weekends aren't really suiting me these days (that and i'm not sure a lot of the racing crew are on the Saturday soins these days)

Wasn't a wheelers spin, tri club spin but people are more than welcome to come down. Had a good few from Lucan there this week and there is usuallly a fella on the velo revolution team there too. We meet at 6.45 on Tuesdays at the roundabout before Papal cross car park and do laps, first lap steady enough then the next 3 broke into fast sections and a cool down lap. Normally around 45km, a good spin too. Might be a bit faster than most of us Bambaata but if teh velo revolution lad comes down you could have a good spin, Bjorn shows his face every now and again too.

• Advertisement

Wed 30th April

Club running session in the phoenix park, wasn't sure if I woud make it to this with the weather but glad I did in the end. Bit of a warm up then into the main set, bit of a strange one too. Set was up and down a football pitch, fast up, recovery was width of goal posts and then fast back and same again. Altogether 4 loops per set and 1 min recovery between sets. 4 sets altogether. Took me a while to get the legs going but once I did I felt pretty good, legs a bit heavy from the Tues bike. Times were consistent and so were recoveries across the goal posts so pretty happy.

Thurs 1st May

Turbo before work. 1 hour 40mins spent pretty much half on endurance and half on tempo. Tough enough session and again tired legs, about 20 mins in I wasn't sure I would get through it but did in the end. Set a new 90 min power record too which is always good.

April has been a decent month, lot of biking, ok amount of running and not enough swimming. The week in Sardinia was always going to push things in the bike favour but the plan for next month is too try get the run back up and the swim has to increase.

Fri 2nd May

Busy day getting work sorted for the Bank Holiday Mon in work, only a cycle in and out of work.

Sat 3rd May

Prep day getting ready for the Tinahely Duathlon on Sunday. Took the TT bike out for a short spin, 26km done. Some fast 5km's, mostly easy though. Times were good for not a lot of effort and legs felt good.

Evening run, hilly run around the back of Bunclody, again only short and easy. 4.2km ran, legs bit heavy but ok.

Sun 4th May

Tinahely duathlon, the plan for this was to concentrate on the runs and keep the bike steady. Race was a 5km run, 20km cycle, 3km run. Plan was sub 20 5km but not too fast, steady bike and then a 12 min 3km. Warm up went well and was talking to Kurt about the race beforehand (nice to meet you!). Race started and I started well, some of the lads were flying and I let them go and concentrated on my own pace, first 2km were around 3.50 and then we turned onto the forest part. Really enjoyed this run and kept an eye on the heart rate and the pace around 4min kilometres. (19.42 for the 5km) Felt good getting into T1, bit messy in here but got out pretty smooth. Bike started well, started steady knowing that the first big hill through Tinahely. Passed a few before here and on this hill, was up to about 6/7th place. Few of the downhills the pace wasn't the best, surface was poor and was a bit wobbly on the bike. Got into Shilleagh and this is were the race fell apart a bit, took a wrong turn here (my own fault) and was 3km down the road before a car pulled over and told me I had gone wrong. Turned and back to the junction and onto the right road. The race was over now but pushed it a bit on the bike and overtook a good few heading to T2. Time was around 44 mins for 26km (reckon around 9/10 mins added on for the extra distance). T2 went well enough, bit of a cramp in calf leaving but nothing major. Eased into the run and lept the pace at 4 min kilometres, passed a few and then ended up in no mans land, no one in front nad no one pushing behind. Just kept the pace steady and doe the 3km in 12 mins. Think I came 27th overall. without the extra distance on the bike and pushing myself more on the last 3km I'd say I would be around 10/11 mins faster. Would have put me around 5/6th place. Even with my mistake in the race I'm happy enough, I paced it well and the runs which are usually my weakest bit were pretty steady today. Bike went well and only pushed it on for the last 10km when I got back to the course. Was pleased with where the times where for the effort. The race itself is very good and a good testing course, only bad point about the race would be the road surface in parts.

Mon 5th May

Took it handy during the day,had to work too so not much time to get anythingd one before work, legs a bit tired from the race but not as bad as usual. Club swim session in the evening. Long warm up then into the main set of 800m TT. Been a while since I done one of these and last PB was 12.58. When I have been getting to the pool regularly swimming has been going well but April was a poor month for swimming and March wasn't much better so wasn't sure how this would go. Went ok in the end, came in on 12.42 so a 17 second PB. First 400m in 6.17 and second in 6.25. Not a huge drop in pace but with a bit more swim fitness some easy time to knock off there. Some fast 25's after this and then a cool down.

Tues 6th May

An early morning swim session. Swim has to be improved this month. 400m warm up then into 3 X (100m pull, 100m kick, 100m swim). Main set of 4 X (4 X 100m, 1st off 2.00, 2nd off 1.55, 3rd off 1.50 and 4th off 1.45). All came in below the times and felt ok, didn't feel great in the water and times were around 1.36/37. Bit of a cool down after. Tonight will be a club cycle in the park and I'm bringing my runners to do a short 3km run off the bike.

Tuesday 6th May PM

Club cycle session in the park. Good turnout again, Bambaata even showed up for the start (nice to meet you). Usually there is a warm up lap and then into 3 hard laps, not tonight, straight into the hard laps and very early on my legs were feeling it. Then the rain started. Still got 5 laps done but by the end my legs were completely gone, nothing left in them at all. Park was much better than the previous week, apart from a girl on a bike cycling on the path cycling straight out in front of one of the lads and then hitting the ground. Not much we could do about it, she apologised and everything was alright. This fella seems to attract people like this though, last week a roller blader went straight out in front of him too, will be thinking about giving him a bit more room in future!

Good to meet you too. I had to really force myself to sit up and let ye go!! It goes against everything that feels natural but i would have ruined the intended session!! Fierce pace set there, ye were out of sight in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

joey100 wrote: »
    Park was much better than the previous week, apart from a girl on a bike cycling on the path cycling straight out in front of one of the lads and then hitting the ground. Not much we could do about it, she apologised and everything was alright. This fella seems to attract people like this though, last week a roller blader went straight out in front of him too, will be thinking about giving him a bit more room in future!

Jeysus, he sounds like a disaster!

• Advertisement

Wed 7th May

Cycle in and out of work.

Legs were really feeling it today but wanted to make the club run session. 3.6km warm up then into 6 X 800m with 150m recovery. Times were around 2.50 for the 800m so very pleased with that considering if was done on very tired legs. Really feeling it by the end. Legs were dead, altogether done around 10.5km.

Thurs 8th May

Got on the turbo this morning with great intentions. Done around 35 mins and just had to stop. Legs had nothing in them. Was just hurting. Will take it easy for rest of the day and then Friday is a handy enough day so should be good for the weekend again.

Fri 9th May

Not much today. Busy day in work and my da got a delivery of stones, mulch and top soil so the evening was spent bringing that down through the garage to the back garden. 20km cycle in and out of work.

Sat 10th May

I had been looking for a 10km run to do, haven't done one in a long time and wanted to get an idea where I was before the start of the season. Only real option was a park run with an extra 5km at the end. 1st 5km went well, paced it well and came through in 19.30 and was feeling strong. The second last kilometre struggled a bit but was able to up it a bit for the last kilometre. Through the 2nd 5km in 19.55. New PB of 39.25 and first time ever sub 40 mins.

Evening was to be a decent swim session but got to the pool and the chlorine was thick in it. Done a bit of sighting and a lot of kicking but had to get out early because of the smell and it burning my nose.

Sun 11th May

Was heading into the giro so only option was an early morning 2.5 hours on the turbo. Mainly focusing on endurance with a bit of tempo work too. Legs felt good, bit too fresh after what should have been a tough 10km race the day before. Got through fairly handy.

Got news on Sun evening that my Granny had passed away, she was old enough at 89 so wasn't completely unexpected but still hard to take. Training might be bit all over the place the next few days but will still get something done even just to clear my mind.

Mon 12th May

Out early in the morning for a run. Wasn't sure what I would be doing but wanted to cover around 15km and decided to run on feel and see how I got on. Surprised to see the pace at the end of 4.33 min kilometres for what felt like a fairly handy effort.

Evening session was on the bike, 1 hour on the turbo. This was going to be a tough session with 4 X 9 min intervals above 88% of FTP. Settled in well and was only tough for the last few mins of the one. 4 mins recovery between each. Power was at least 5 watts above the average power aimed for at each interval so pleased with how it went.

Sorry to hear about your granny!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

sorry to hear about your grandmother. been through the same with both of mine in the last 6 months. not the easiest of times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Grannies are special people...how wonderful you had her in your life! My best to you at this time of loss.

Thanks for the comments folks,

Tuesday 13th May

2 hours on the turbo, tough session. Majority of time spent between 75-85% of FTP, got through it ok though and legs feeling good.

Wed 14th May

Club run session. Warm up then into main set of 200m, 3o seconds rest, 400m, 1 min rest, 600m 1min 30 rest 800m 2 min rest and then back down. Tough session but enjoyed it and was pleased to see the times remain consistent. bit of a cool down after for a total of 11.2km.

Thurs 15th May

Turbo session before work. First hour had 3 intervals at above 90% of FTP for 8 mins each, first of these had a 6 min 75% effort before it and last had the same after it. Tough but good session and never felt in huge danger of not finishing. After this was a half hour with a bit fo a warm up then the main set fo 3 X 3.5 mins at around 105% of FTP. Again never in danger of not finishing and legs felt strong.

Have a group in work playing football golf later but don't think I can count that as training.

Fri 16th May

Easy run before work, just over 8km done at around 5.15min pace and felt nice and easy.

Cycle in and out of work.

Evening swim. Mix of 100's and 200's, form feels ok in the water, just lacking abit of sharpness. This should be sorted for Athy.

Sat 17th May

Club cycle in the morning. 60km done with the club with an average pace around 30kmph, good considering the wind. A good spin, pushed it up a few of the hills and enjoyed it. Cyled out to it and done a lap of our TT course at the end.

Sun 18th May

Our club training day for beginners. This is usually held in the aquatic centre but because of a double booking we moved it out to Lough Lene and used the tri an mhi sprint course. I was in the kayak for the swim incase any of the weaker swimmers needed a hand so no swim done. Handy enough 20km on the bike then after and straight into the run after this. Was thinking it would be an easy enough run but set of with one of the lads in the club who is a 35 min 10km runner and tried to stick with him as long as I could. Through the 5km in 19.15 and completed the marked 5.4km course in 20.41 so pretty pleased. A hilly run and on tired legs so happy with the time. Run has really come on and hopefully I can keep building on it now over the summer. Great training day even with the weather, good turn out from the club. Club TT's start on Tuesday evening, have volunteered to marshall at it but if I'm not I'll be pushing for under 31 mins for the 20km course.

Mon 19th May

Long run before work, got a great nights sleep on Sunday so legs felt pretty ok getting up. 16km ran at an average pace of 4.38 so happy with the pace, never felt hard either.

Tues 20th May

Handy enough day, club TT. 20km around Ballycoolin. Best time last year was a 31.16 so was hoping to go close to this. Conditions weren't great, bit windy and greasy surface in places but was feeling good on the bike. Bit of a warm up, but probably finished this too early and was waiting a while to go. Set of steady enough and built into it, time overall was 31.31. Not too far off my best and on a better day be a few easy seconds to take off. Would have been nice to beat my best time but reckon that will come later in the summer, didn't feel as wrecked after this one either. Would have been better set up to run off the bike on it. Bit of a cool down after.

Club summer TT league is 5 races, 3 around Ballycoolin (number 1,3,5) second race is a 17km from Dunboyne to Summerhill and the 4th is a hill climb up Sally gap around 10km long. Best 3 resuts count. Looking forward to the hill climb one, reckon it should suit me better than the flat ones. Summerhill one be interesting too, last time we done that circuit I had a horrible day and finished right down the list. Be interesting to see how I get on this time.

Wed 21st May

After the club TT on Tuesday night we were promised that the run session would be an easy one. Bit of a warm up then into the mian set of 10 X 400m intervals, up the Kyber. Set off a bit fast for the first two and suffered over the next 3, settled well after that and kept the times around 1.28, happy enough with that. 2 extra 400's done at the end waiting on others to finish but not as fast. Bit fo a cool down for a total of 15.2km.

Thurs 22nd May

Turbo before work. Hour and a half with 4 X 9 min intervals focusing on threshold work. Tough but more due to the legs being tired after 2 tough days but got through ok. Power was above were I wanted it and heart rate was kept steady.

Swim after the turbo. Lot of pull buoy work with some hypoxic breathing. Wanted a good long session to try make the most of my time in the water. Felt ok in the water, bit out of practice but getting better.

I have a stag this weekend in Carlingford but will hopefully be able to get some training done. Plan is for another pool swim tomorrow morning then head up early and hopefully get a sea swim and a run in. On Sat the rest are going mountain biking so I'll head off and do a brick session, planning another swim on Sunday and what ever else I can manage after the Sat night.

Fri 23rd May

3.1km swim in the pool and 12.4 on the treadmill before I headed to the stag. Felt a lot better in the water than I have in a while and was moving a bit faster too.

Sat 24th May

Surprised myself and actually got out and done something even with the hangover from Fri night. 62km on the TT bike, kept it nice and steady and although it was flat enough got through the 40km in around 1hr 8mins so pretty pleased with that. Straight into a 8km run after this and pace kept around 4.15 for relatively little effort until the end when my stomach decided it was now too hungover to keep exercising and the pace dropped a bit.

Sun 25th May

Nothing. Was dying all day and decided a bit of self pity and an easy day was in need.

Mon 26th May

Short swim just to get moving again and a short easy run. Still way off feeling 100% but with bit of luck a few good nights sleep will sort that out before Athy this Saturday.

• Advertisement

Tues 27th May

Decent enough nights sleep but still not hundred per cent. Bike session in the evening, laps of the park with the club. Not as manay there as previous weeks but all that means is less time spent drafting. Even though the body didn't feel great the legs were working well and seem to be reaching a patch of good form at just the right time before Athy. 42km done altogether with the 40 coming in around 1.12 so fast enough.

Wed 28th May

Skipped the run session in the park with the club, late home from work and still not feeling great so an easy enough 9km by myself. Legs felt ok, bit of a tickle in my throat but think it's down to hayfever so should be ok for Saturday.

Thurs 29th May

Easy day today, just an hour on the turbo easy spinning. Legs starting to feel normal again along with the body so will be good to go on Sat.

Plan for Sat, last year I done the Olympic in Athy in around 2.18. I would be hoping for a decent enough improvement this year. Swim and run should see improvements along with transitions and if I can keep the bike in and around the same I'd be happy (faster would be nice but I think I went too fast on bike last year and ruined my run). Below 2.15 would be great and with a bit of luck I should be on for that. Good turnout from the club heading down too but only 4 of us in the Olympic. Looking forward to it though, first race of the season and first open water swim of the season, everything should be grand!

Fri 30th May

Just an easy 5km run in the evening after work. Kept the pace easy and was just about stretching the legs for Saturdays race.

Sat 31st May

So up nice and early for my first race of the season, TriAthy Olympic. Looking forward to it because I done it last year and should give me a good guide how the winter went. Had been in a decent bit of form coming up to it too so was hoping to improve on last years time.

Swim 22.51 (46th Overall)

This was going to be a bit on an unknown this year. Had been going well up to christmas but after wasn't in the pool half as much as I should have been. But I had been going to coached sessions with interested and my 100,200,400 and 800m times were all down on last year. The flow didn't look too bad in the river but when we seen earlier waves get in and struggle against it I knew it was going to be tough. Positioned myself nice and close to the reeds on the left bank ad had a good start, found feet was going well. Struggled a bit after the first 400m or so, lack of time in the pool coming back to get me but settled into a nice rhythm and tried jumping from feet to feet using mix of people in my wave and back markers in others. Got out feeling ok and pleased with the time. Exactly 1 min faster than last year and tougher conditions.

T1 1.42

Nothing spectacular, wetsuit stuck around ankle a bit but that's it.

Bike 1.05.04 (34th Overall)

Have been working on holding myself back a bit on the bike, usually my strongest sport so push it on. Kept it nice and steady and the pace was good. Started picking people off fairly early on and was only passed by 2 who made it stick on the whole bike course. Never felt like I pushed it and was delighted with the time.Over 2 mins quicker than last year when I pushed hard and was well set up for the run this time around.

T2 1.39

Managed to walk up the wrong row of bikes but was only one away so a quick climb under a rack an I was grand.

Run 41.22 (31st Overall)

Kept the pace steady at the start and tried to build into it. Legs felt good and had no cramps. Again started picking people off early on and broke it down into 4 X 2.5km runs in my head. This really worked for me, only real dip in pace was when we reached the turn around and came back along the canal path on the grass instead of the track. Put this down to the grass and surface, once we were back to the track it went back to where I wanted it. Only 2 people passed me on the whole run, which was really strange for me, normally it's like a sea of people flooding past me on the run. This run was around 2.5 mins faster than last year and in the top 40 runs of the day.

Overall time 2.12.38 and 31st Overall

Was delighted with the time, was aiming for sub 2.15 and ended up around 5 and a half mins faster than last year. Everything was faster, even the transitions and most pleasing was my run. I've worked on it over the winter, sometimes at the expense of my swim but it's starting to really show now. Combined with a decent bike split my run is what got the time down. First race of the season down and a new swim, 10km in a triathlon and Olympic distance PB. Not a bad race overall.

On a completely different note, I was bored in work on Friday and entered a base2race competition to win an entry for Tri an Mhi middle distance race. It's a distance I'd like to do but was looking at the end of next season for my first one. I managed to win a free entry which means I have to now do the race next Saturday. I'll get through it but it will be my first half marathon ever, never even ran that far in training. Will be a bit of fun and I've no idea of a time in mind at all just to go out and enjoy myself.

Sun 1st June

Rest day, went straight from the race on Sat to a wedding and then down to the girlfriends parents on Sunday so didn't have much time anyway.

Mon 2nd June

Last season one of my big mistakes was taking too long to get back training after a race and spending too long getting ready for each race. With that in mind I headed out for a run today, just a long-ish steady run. 13.2km with pace kept comfortable, legs still bit dead from weekend.

Tomorrow morning I start swimming with the club, peter kern leads the sessions and I'm looking forward to it. Need to be in the water more so this should help that.

Tues 3rd June

First swim session with Peter Kern. Went well, first half an hour is working on conditioning and 2nd half on drills and stroke. Never done the drills before so they were interesting! Gave me plenty of feedback and alot to work on with my stroke. He reckons there is a min to knock off my Olympic time and I reckon just being fitter would knock off a fair bit too so all positive.

Evening session was club cycle in the park. Not many turned up and I was nearly on my way home with the weather. Took it handy enough, 3 and a half laps, the majority spent chasing Macanri around on his TT bike. Never pushed it too hard, but was still a tough enough session.

Legs are still feeling it a bit from the weekends race so made sure I got to bed early and managed to get jus over 11 hours sleep and body is feeling a lot better today, need to see if I can get another nights sleep like that before the weekend!

Wed 4th June

Just a handy 10km run after work. Nothing fast, skipped the club interval session for this. Legs starting to feel a bit normal again.

Thurs 5th June

1hour easy cycle. Again nothing fast just taking it handy. Had hoped to get a swim in too but the car was due it's NCT so didn't get a chance.

Fri 6th June

An easy day, 5.5km easy run and cycle in and out of work.

Sat 7th June

So the day of the race, a race I had not planned on doing and a distance I had not really trained for. Was more nervous than normal the night before but got a decent enough nights sleep. Plan for this race was to push it a bit on the swim, take it easy enough on the bike and try to get to teh run in the best shape I could. The run was the big unknown here, the plan for the bike wasn't 100% either. The bike would probably be my strongest part and I wasn't sure how I would feel holding it back on it. WAsn't too sure of a time heading in but reckoned I could go under 5.15 and if all went really well under 5.00. Gels were going to be a new thing too, usually I take one on an Olympic course but wouldn't get away with that on a longer course. Plan was for some power gel jellies before race, a gel at 20km, 45km, 80km with a clif bar between 45-80km but not all at once. I would take one with me on the run if I needed it. and so the day of my first half distance race, Tri an Mhi CXIII

Swim 28.04 (28th)

Got a decent enough start and found myself in a group that seemed to be moving quick enough so was no point killing myself to overtake and probably get caught by them again. Stayed in the group for the whole course and reached transition at pretty much the exact same time as Fazz and Trinewbie so was in good company. Felt good, the drafting had worked and I was feeling in good shape heading out on the bike.

T1 2.16

These were always going to be a bit slow, I decided I would wear my proper bike shoes and put a jersey on. Bit of time gone but not too much. Wetsuit came right off though, no problems at all.

Bike 2.42.25 (18th)

Settled in nicely on the bike, was a bit busy out of transition but stayed back the required distance. Fair play to the morotbike marshalls they were busy going up and down stopping and drafting. Took the first 5km handy enough, think it was my slowest of the race. Legs felt bit heavy but still strong so pushed on a bit when we came to some of the lumpier parts of the course. Was feeling strong so kept it going and my plans for an easy biek went out the window. Caught most people on the climbs and tried to keep the pace up on the downhills and flats. Through the first 40km in around 1.09. Had to stop to take on more water at an aid station, ideally should have kept rolling but bottle top kept closing and couldn't get the water out on the move, Up to 18th overall after first lap of the bike. Kept the pace up for the second lap but my lack of long training for this distance started to show and the pace dropped a bit. Through the 2nd 40km in around 1.11. Legs were getting tired now and the last 13km took around 22 mins. A good chunk of this was into a headwind though. Finished the bike course in 2.42.25 with the 18th fastest bike split of the day. Bike course suited me, lots of little climbs with no technical downhills. Legs feeling ok getting off the bike.

T2 1.28

Bit slow again but bike shoes off, jersey off, runners on with laces tied and gel down my top. Not too bad.

Run 1.39.20 (34th)

The big unkown. Plan was to start slowly and build into it. But like all good plans I didn't stick to it. Pace was decent and heart raet was where I wanted it so stuck with it. I knew a little bit of the course but wasn't prepared for how tough the 2 laps would be. through the first 5km in 23 mins and was feeling good. First lap of the loop wasn't too bad, let the heart rate rise a bit on the climbs and then it would drop on the downhills. Pace was still were I wanted it even if it wasn't consistent. Second lap was tougher, a lot tougher. Again the lack of training for this distance was beginning to show and the legs were getting sore and tired. I knew though once I got the big hill out of the way it was downhill back to the lap start and then not too bad back to the finish. Kept it going and crossed the line in 4.53.34 for the 24th place overall. Half marathon was 1.39.20.

Very happy with the time after. the result is a bit skewed because of a few DNF's (Peter Kern, and Bambaata unfortunately didn't finish). This was my toughest race ever, but was probably my most enjoyable. The atmosphere, the course and the organisation were brilliant. It was without a doubt the most well organised and ran race I have done. Very happy with the result too, swam ok, biked well and hung on in the run! Best thing about doing a new distance is 3 new PB's. A new swim PB, new 93km bike PB (furthest ever done on TT bike) and a new half marathon PB (furthest I've ever ran). Was always a distance I liked the look of and after doing the race It is definitely a distance I will be targeting in the future.

Mon 9th June

So I took Sunday off becuase my legs were completely dead. Not too sore or stiff but just nothing in them at all. Before the race I weighed 61.5kg, I had 5 gels, 1 pack of jellies, 1 clif bar, baked potato and I'd say approx 4 litres of water. When I weighed myself again after the race I was 57.8kg. A nice drop in weight!

Monday was an easy run. Didn't want to leave it to long to get back into it so a nice easy 10.5km run before work. First 3km were very slow but body gradually got into it and started feeling nearly normal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Beautiful - a comfortable sub 5 with a 3k extra bike section.

Might be your best distance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Very well done!! Your bar has now been set. ;)

Advertisement