Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average Cost of Electricity / Gas 3-4 Bed Home BER B1

Options
  • 08-10-2013 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Buying a new house which has a BER of B1. Its 1320 sq feet.

I'm a first time buyer and have never rented. Trying to estimate costs to run this home.

Could anyone give me a guide as to how much I would expect to pay annually for gas and electricity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Nobody can. There are tons of variables.

What heating do you have?
    How big is your TV?
    How many lights in each room?
    What bulbs do you have?
    What are you cooking on?
    How do you wash clothes?
    How do you dry them?

BER rating is pretty useless to gauge anything as well

• Registered Users Posts: 41 camo

Sure. Was just looking for some kind of average guideline costs.

It will be gas central heating.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

camo wrote: »
    Sure. Was just looking for some kind of average guideline costs.

It will be gas central heating.

Is that an old fashioned gas boiler- or one of the modern condenser boilers?
    Simply saying that it has gas central heating isn't sufficient- an older boiler may have only 35-40% efficiency- whereas a new condenser boiler could be tipping 80%. A condenser boiler will also heat water on demand- doing away with the need for an expensive immersion heater- which would also lower costs.

Average costs- there are too many variables to even hazard a guess- but I'd throw out a figure of around 300-350 per two monthly bill in the winter- higher as the weather gets colder- and down to virtually nothing in the summer- maybe less than 30 or 40 a month- and this would be predominantly for heating water.

Ask the previous tenants- its probably as good an indication as you're going to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

B1 is a pretty good rating. I don't know what it'll cost but it should be a less than the average cost of a similar sized home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Dunno how helpful but we heat and get hot water for 950 ft 2 bed apartment with gas condenser boiler for 120 per 7weeks in winter 80 in spring and about 25 in summer. We'd have apartments above below and to one side so I'd use this as the minimum spend guideline and work up from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

camo wrote: »
    Buying a new house which has a BER of B1. Its 1320 sq feet.

I'm a first time buyer and have never rented. Trying to estimate costs to run this home.

Could anyone give me a guide as to how much I would expect to pay annually for gas and electricity?

I live in a 3 bed semi Ber c3 around 1,100sq ft house. My electricty bills are around €80 for 55 days I use my washing machine every day and dryer most days (only for 30 mins) we have electric shower on at least twice a day. One thing is I do not use my immersion so it is permanently switched off as it is killer on electricty. Radio left on most of day also. I plug out everything when not in use except for fridge! I am at home all day also! Couldn't give you a gas figure as we have not spent a winter in this house yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 camo

Thanks for the replies.

Apologies for the vagueness of the information. I have gained some more information.

The boiler is a condenser boiler.

The house is in a terrace of three houses. (Should have said that earlier).Its the middle house.

It has solar panels on the roof which I'm guessing will contribute to the hot water.

The appliances supplied are A rated.

Advertisement