Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat repair advice

• 08-10-2013 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭

One of the floor panels on our boat has lost it's support, the piece that supports the sides of the floor panel see pic below.

floor_zps58757dc3.jpg

My plan is to sand off the old adhesive, pre drill some new screw holes (undersized) and glue and screw the piece back into place.

Is this the correct way to do the repair and what sort of adhesive should I use?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

That should work, you could also refill the old screws by gluing in matchsticks or toothpicks I use epoxy resin but you could use wood glue or "no more nails" you might also get away with turning the piece of wood around so that the screw don't match up with the old holes this will save you putting more screws into the strip of wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Thanks fergal, will try that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Vexorg wrote: »
    floor_zps58757dc3.jpg
    I'm curious about the pic Vex.

I'm assuming that's the starboard side aft cabin, can't think what else it could be.

Does the door open inwards? Ours opens out against the nav station.

Just curious, I would have thought they were all made the same. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Steve

Yes starboard aft and opens in. I would have thought they were all the same configuration also. I think that opening out would make it easier to enter/exit the cabin. Someone sitting at the map table may feel a little claustrophobic if the door is opened on an outward opening setup.

Maybe the inward opening door is the cause of the support piece breaking away, we have a tendency to step in at the side of the floor panel and not the centre, putting more stress on one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IreJohn

If you use a wider piece, and scribe it to take the contour of the floor,
    then the screws wont be bearing the load :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement