Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea2summit Advice

Options
  • 08-10-2013 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Hey, First year doing sea2summit. I'm a fairly experienced cyclist wh0o has been doing some running to prepare for the event, 10k race on sunday in 52mins, so not too serious a runner.

Haven't been running up hills recently but am planning to do two weeks or so now. Just a few questions about the croke patrick section having never been up that particular mountain.

1. Is it all off road hiking?

2. Are hiking shoes necessary? (Was planning on running shoes)

3. When hill running downhill what is the best technique?

4. Are ankle braces a help on a descent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

1. Yes, the whole Croagh Patrick section is off road. Most people will powerwalk up, once you reach the ridge there is a short opportunity to run for about 200m.

2. No - you will find all sorts of runners. Trail runners would be optimal. Road runners will take a good bashing from the rocks.

3. Positive steps...and lean your upper body back and let gravity do the rest.

4. The physio-type? Never seen any of those at any events that involved downhill running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

off road, dry .stony, dusty , rocky not mucky and boggy
    all types of runners, but if you plan on trying to run down at any speed then youl be glad of the extra grip on the trail runners
    maybe if youve got dodgy ankles the straps mite be some use to you, but if anything i could see them as a hindrance.. id want all the flexibility in my ankles that i could get..
    woudnt worry about running up hills.. 90% of people will be walking it, allbeit at different speeds.. a lot take off running from the car park and are stopped before they get to the statue..
    the usual advice applies .. if you can get out on croagh patrick even just once itl stand to you hugely
    cycling in both races but especially in the long race is where the headway is made

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

woody1 wrote: »
    off road, dry .stony, dusty , rocky not mucky and boggy
    all types of runners, but if you plan on trying to run down at any speed then youl be glad of the extra grip on the trail runners
    maybe if youve got dodgy ankles the straps mite be some use to you, but if anything i could see them as a hindrance.. id want all the flexibility in my ankles that i could get..
    woudnt worry about running up hills.. 90% of people will be walking it, allbeit at different speeds.. a lot take off running from the car park and are stopped before they get to the statue..
    the usual advice applies .. if you can get out on croagh patrick even just once itl stand to you hugely
    cycling in both races but especially in the long race is where the headway is made

Yeah hoping the cycle is nice and tough, suits me better. Was looking at Maum climb, is a nice climb.
    Only question about the cycle is, what about cycle shoes(which i plan on wearing), I see the transition zones are apart from each other. so do I need two pairs of runners to wear cycling shoes?

ive seen people carrying runner in various ways on the bike.
    under jersey ! with bungees and hooks and in bottle cages..or on tri bars if you have them
    i dont think you can leave runners behind you in transition ,( littering ) so one pair and work some way of carrying them,

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

3. Positive steps...and lean your upper body back and let gravity do the rest.
    Don't lean back unless you're trying to slow down, it forces you to land on your heel. Keep yourself perpendicular to the hill as much as you can without losing control. Try to keep your feet under you, and your hands moving in the usual back and forth rhythm, though you will probably end up with them kept wide for balance.

Trail runners will give you grip without the bulk of hiking shoes.

Work on your ankle strength rather than relying on braces.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

Yeah hoping the cycle is nice and tough, suits me better. Was looking at Maum climb, is a nice climb.
    Only question about the cycle is, what about cycle shoes(which i plan on wearing), I see the transition zones are apart from each other. so do I need two pairs of runners to wear cycling shoes?

You'll need to bring a small backpack with you (or think up of some ingenious way of carrying them, i've seen a few!). Wearing cleats in this race will mean 4 shoe changes (for the long race). I've changed my bike to toe clips for this race.

No need to bring the bag with you on the runs(or at the start), i just run with the mandatory kit in the pockets of my cycling top.

So to answer you question, one pair of preferably trail runners and a small bag (or change your bike to toe clips).

Its a great race, enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

I'm hoping to do the 27km version, I'm not very familiar with the area, whats the cycle like out to Croagh Patrick and how far up the mountain do you go in the run/crawl?

shorter version, 8k cycle out is reasonably flat.. some bumps but nothing major..
    on croagh patrick there is a climb then a flat section then another climb
    short race is up to the flat section and back down

Ath trasna wrote: »
    I'm hoping to do the 27km version, I'm not very familiar with the area, whats the cycle like out to Croagh Patrick and how far up the mountain do you go in the run/crawl?

yeah would find it hard to go without the Cycling shoes. think its worth it for. the long event. and the emergency blanket and all. do we really have to carry that? and first aid stuff?

yeah, but youl fit it all in a pocket of a cycling jersey
    theyl check you have it the night before at the registration and
    ive seen them make people go back and get it before they register
    of course there will be someone there selling them at well inflated
    prices

• Advertisement

any tips on pacing in an event like this? I'm a strong cyclist so would a conservative climb of Croke Patrick be reccomended?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

I've found the cycle on the far side of Croagh Patrick to be the toughest part.
    Do you have a granny ring? Be prepared to use it - I've seen better cyclists than me pushing up the sharp (but short) climbs (my cycling ability pretty much mirrors my running ability in that both are not great).

As someone else earlier pointed out, changing shoes 4 times probably will cost you at least 5 minutes, if not more, unless transitions are you're very skillful at transitions. I found toe clips were perfectly good for Gaelforce (had done S2S with changing shoes 2 years earlier).

Try not to get stuck at the back of the field on the initial run, the greenway to the quay is very narrow and it will be hard to overtake the bulk of slower runners.

If you're working so hard that you don't enjoy the event, your pace is too fast.

ive a fair few climbs under the belt, ive always found the best way to climb it is at a steady pace, not dead slow, but not so fast that you have to stop to take a breather every few minutes, if you can just keep moving forward at a moderate pace that you dont need any breaks youl pass more than pass you, ive never done the long race but from what ive heard the long cycle is a killer so leave a bit in the legs.. remember drafting is allowed so it makes sense to get into some kind of a group if you can

I've found the cycle on the far side of Croagh Patrick to be the toughest part.
    Do you have a granny ring? Be prepared to use it - I've seen better cyclists than me pushing up the sharp (but short) climbs (my cycling ability pretty much mirrors my running ability in that both are not great).

As someone else earlier pointed out, changing shoes 4 times probably will cost you at least 5 minutes, if not more, unless transitions are you're very skillful at transitions. I found toe clips were perfectly good for Gaelforce (had done S2S with changing shoes 2 years earlier).

Try not to get stuck at the back of the field on the initial run, the greenway to the quay is very narrow and it will be hard to overtake the bulk of slower runners.

If you're working so hard that you don't enjoy the event, your pace is too fast.

Yeah the shoe time change is not a worry for me, a twenty second job at most.

No granny gear, just a 39-26 low gear

I've managed this climb ( http://www.strava.com/segments/1735489 ) with that gearing and doubt maum is anywhere near as difficult, well i hope lol.
    And i suppose legs will be tired at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bluenova

I'm doing it also first time I've entered the supreme race,
    I'm just planning on tipping away and doing my own bit on the day,
    Done the bike route two weeks ago its tough but once you reach the top of maum dibbing point it's nice all the way back to the point if you have anything left in the legs!!
    I'm also wearing trail runners for the day don't fancy carrying around cycling shoes all day in a bag,
    Look at last years winners all on trail runners

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

bluenova wrote: »
    I'm also wearing trail runners for the day don't fancy carrying around cycling shoes all day in a bag,
    Look at last years winners all on trail runners

Did the short course 3 yrs ago - defo go with trail runners and toe clips.
    Did the long course 2 yrs ago - and went with trail runners & cycling shoes. Unless you are trying to shave seconds off your transition times having the cycling shoes and cleats will be a real help up around the back of the Maum :eek: The winners wore trail runners - 'coz they didn't have the same problems on the Maum as the rest of us :(

"Missed" last years run in the ice up the ridge, but back again this year. Putting a compact chain-set on the bike as I will need every bit of help I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

Hi Guys,

My first time doing this as well. Going for the Supreme. Just wondering as it's my first adventure race (normally do road running), In terms of clothing do most people go with a base layer and a top over it, or what's the general idea on the best clothing.

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to approach it as I'm guessing it will be cold once I get to the bottom of Croagh Patrick.

Thanks

usually i wear tri shorts, base layer, cycling top, if youve some way of carrying a very light jacket on your bike so much the better, in case it really lashes rain or something..
    gloves if your hands are susceptible to cold..
    ive often been too warm in this gear.. but i never did the supreme where your a long while on the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

Signed up for this too. Complete newbie to adventure racing but looking forward to it. Seems like an enjoyable sport. Some of ye more experienced racers might be able to answer these questions for me:

From previous pictures and videos, I see a good few all in one tri-suits in use (plan to use one myself) - where abouts do they put the mandatory kit?

Is it worth the investment in trail runners or would you get away with ordinary running flats?

Would you seem like a bit of dick if you turned up on a TT bike?

depends on what you want to achieve, trail runners are infinitely better than ordinary especially for running down.. but if your just looking to struggle thru then runners will do grand.. youl get the kit in the pockets of tri suit / cycling jersey pockets..
    the jacket is the toughie..get the lightest packaway one you can find and itl roll into a pocket but it tends to bounce all over the place, a lot leave it in a saddle bag on the bike,or in a bike bottle if your not doing the supreme ( sprints wont need the water ) as you wont need it for the first run, unless its lashing in which case youl have it on you..

edit. actualy theres no mention of a jacket at all , so just put in in your pockets

• Advertisement

depends on what you want to achieve, trail runners are infinitely better than ordinary especially for running down.. but if your just looking to struggle thru then runners will do grand.. youl get the kit in the pockets of tri suit / cycling jersey pockets..
    the jacket is the toughie..get the lightest packaway one you can find and itl roll into a pocket but it tends to bounce all over the place, a lot leave it in a saddle bag on the bike,or in a bike bottle if your not doing the supreme ( sprints wont need the water ) as you wont need it for the first run, unless its lashing in which case youl have it on you..

edit. actualy theres no mention of a jacket at all , so just put in in your pockets

Thanks for the advice

The point about the all in one tri suit is that most of them come without pockets. I was thinking some of them might be chancing not bringing the stuff with them on the runs.

Looking to go fast on the run, just wondering how slippy that decent would be. Gonna have to go up and check it out.

sorry, mine has pockets,
    yeah you will see a lot without the kit, its checked the night before but not on the day..( at least ive never seen it checked and ive done it every year since it started ) having seen how handy it is when my better half took a toss off her bike in achill..i tend to carry it.. she reckons the foil blanket particularly was invaluable, as she was sitting on the side of the road waiting for someone to give her a lift back and freezing ..
    even in dry conditions coming down the reek can be slippy as its sandy / dusty as well as loose stones and gravel.. that said plenty manage it in runners..
    if your looking to be really moving and you reckon your gonna get use out of them again then get the trail runners ,

sorry, mine has pockets,
    yeah you will see a lot without the kit, its checked the night before but not on the day..( at least ive never seen it checked and ive done it every year since it started ) having seen how handy it is when my better half took a toss off her bike in achill..i tend to carry it.. she reckons the foil blanket particularly was invaluable, as she was sitting on the side of the road waiting for someone to give her a lift back and freezing ..
    even in dry conditions coming down the reek can be slippy as its sandy / dusty as well as loose stones and gravel.. that said plenty manage it in runners..
    if your looking to be really moving and you reckon your gonna get use out of them again then get the trail runners ,

Great information, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Signed up for this too. Complete newbie to adventure racing but looking forward to it.

Interesting to see how you will get on with this, Tri heads usually do well in these. Does Padraig Marrey enter this race or is he just there in an organising capacity?

catweazle wrote: »
    Interesting to see how you will get on with this, Tri heads usually do well in these. Does Padraig Marrey enter this race or is he just there in an organising capacity?

Haven't seen his name in previous years. Not fit enough at the moment to be mixing it with the likes of him anyway. Getting a good beating off these AR lads will give me good motivation for the winter.

Ok, bringing cycling shoes, I can leave them on the bike at crough patrick during the climb can't I? ANyone got any idea when the info pack arrives?

HUFF N PUFF, therel be a handful of really strong guys and girls in both races, maybe 20 in each , mostly tri heads and cyclists and the usual 5 or 6 serious multi sport guys after that the standard falls to fairly average.. i should know i finished in the top 50 and almost in the top 30 before..and i am considerably below average... so theres always a chance of doing well especially in the shorter race..

catweazle.. padraic was at one stage involved in organising it so didnt compete, now someone else is organising and since then i havent seem him at it..

mistermatthew..funny enough i was just having a read of last years briefing and that arrived in my email 2 days before the event ! and it does say a jacket is required even though the website doesnt.. yes you can leave bike shoes on the bike at croagh patrick but you have to bring your runners with you when you get back on your bike ( you cant leave them in transition behind you )

HUFF N PUFF, therel be a handful of really strong guys and girls in both races, maybe 20 in each , mostly tri heads and cyclists and the usual 5 or 6 serious multi sport guys after that the standard falls to fairly average.. i should know i finished in the top 50 and almost in the top 30 before..and i am considerably below average... so theres always a chance of doing well especially in the shorter race..

catweazle.. padraic was at one stage involved in organising it so didnt compete, now someone else is organising and since then i havent seem him at it..

mistermatthew..funny enough i was just having a read of last years briefing and that arrived in my email 2 days before the event ! and it does say a jacket is required even though the website doesnt.. yes you can leave bike shoes on the bike at croagh patrick but you have to bring your runners with you when you get back on your bike ( you cant leave them in transition behind you )

Thanks very much, Any chance you could send this briefing to me. From last year? I know its may have changed slightly but just to give an idea? I can pm my email

yeah go ahead and il mail it back to you

• Advertisement

Anyone any idea where to buy a foil blanket and whistle? lol.
    I'm in sligo

Advertisement