Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea2summit Advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

Anyone any idea where to buy a foil blanket and whistle? lol.
    I'm in sligo
    call of the wild ? ive gotten the foil blankets in chemists before as well,

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

woody1 wrote: »
    call of the wild ? ive gotten the foil blankets in chemists before as well,

Will try them, even call of the wild can't charge too much for a foil blanket surely?

wont be as much as theyl charge you in westport on friday night to buy one off them if you turn up without one !

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

Hi Woody,

Sportsdirect.com have medi-packs for about €7, including foil blanket. It usually takes about 4 days to receive an order so you might get it in time.

wont be as much as theyl charge you in westport on friday night to buy one off them if you turn up without one !

True that, Will call in after work, thanks for the race brief too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL S2S participants ....

The run/cycle/run/cycle/run is all just warm-up for the evening ahead :cool:

Make sure you pick up your free access pass/wristnband to the night club during the after-race meal. That said, the late-night music session in the hotel bar is another option well worth considering.

Gang of us heading over for this, again. Missed last year - but did the previous 2 years. Great event, location, organisation and evening craic.

Oldlegs wrote: »
    The run/cycle/run/cycle/run is all just warm-up for the evening ahead :cool:

sure i was hoping to get away with spectating this year, better half decided against doing it at the last minute so i have to drag my knackered and unprepared body around just to justify going to the after party..

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Just having a look at the weather and looks like it will be cold and wet for Friday night/Sat morning

Anyone planning on leaving a cycling jacket with the bike on Friday, I was thinking of sticking one in a black bag and hoping it would be still there and dry on Sat morning.

Does anyone know anywhere local that competitors could grab a shower before hitting the road on Sat after the race, any local leisure centre or something like that?

yeah il leave a jacket with the bike, il prob pack it into a bike bottle but obviously saddle bag will do just as well, i just dont have one, or else leave it wrapped in a bag and tie the bag around the bike, i wouldnt leave it loose on the ground , too much on with people coming in and out, itl get moved / go missing..
    no idea re shower sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

Ath trasna wrote: »
    Just having a look at the weather and looks like it will be cold and wet for Friday night/Sat morning

Anyone planning on leaving a cycling jacket with the bike on Friday, I was thinking of sticking one in a black bag and hoping it would be still there and dry on Sat morning.

Does anyone know anywhere local that competitors could grab a shower before hitting the road on Sat after the race, any local leisure centre or something like that?

Leisure centre at the Castlecourt/Plaza, where the race begins. Last year it was packed with people changing after the race.

We were staying in the Plaza, so i cant recall if people who were not staying at the hotel had any difficulty getting into the leisure centre. I doubt it as they are a friendly bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 bluenova

There's also westport leisure centre which is a nice local swimming pool in the middle of the town

Thanks for the info folks, nothing worse than a long drive when your cold and wet.

Starting to really look forward to the race now. seems like ages ago since KAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

+1 on Westport Leisure park for showers and Sauna , cheap enough and good facilities .
    The point is a little exposed so if leaving jackets etc with the bikes make sure they are tied down .

Any thoughts on trail shoes all the way or changes of shoes to cleats etc for the long race ?
    I cramp on the trail runners on pedals/clips but 3-4 changes of shoes does not appeal to me if I go for cleats.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bluenova

I have both but am going with the trail runners all day done the course a few weeks ago with them on and got around ok,plus it's gonna be wet so don't fancy all the changing of shoes

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/westport/210441/hourly-weather-forecast/210441?hour=33

tomorrows forecast
    no major rain, barring some showers round 11, no major wind to speak of, cold and dry.. cant ask for more..

had to go on the hunt for a whistle this morning , have 3 or 4 of them somewhere in the house but couldnt put the hand on one, guaranteed il find them monday or tuesday

Great day on Saturday, well done to all involved in organising the event, we were blessed with the weather for the morning, got a bit damp late on but nothing too bad. First time for me but will def be back for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Huff and Puff 3rd! Looks like a Brownlee brothers finish with the 2 scullys holding hands across the line!

Never heard of the winner but very impressive to put almost 2 minutes into Con Doherty

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rockymurf

Great event, that last 4km run after Maum is a killer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

catweazle wrote: »
    Huff and Puff 3rd! Looks like a Brownlee brothers finish with the 2 scullys holding hands across the line!

Never heard of the winner but very impressive to put almost 2 minutes into Con Doherty

Great experience and a tough but enjoyable race. Fair dues to all the top adventure racers out there - tis a tough sport ye do. Still can't walk properly today (two days later).

Anyone that wants to read my race report > click here

Michael Flanagan is down as the winner and I can testify that he is an excellent downhill runner. He took minutes out of me on the descent of Croagh Patrick - although that isn't saying much as I descend like a little girl. He had a tri bike as well which, no matter what people say, does make a difference - even if there were a few hills to contend with. However, you don't beat Con without being an excellent athlete in your own right. Well done to him.

well done huff n puff.. where was i going giving advice to the likes of you !!
    144th in the short race.. cant really complain about it, had nothing in the legs for any of the bumps on the bike.. carried an injury into the last run so could only shuffle up the greenway..
    seeing as both conway and flanagan are wearing marrey bikes jerseys i presume their both local ?

• Advertisement

144th in the short race.. cant really complain about it, had nothing in the legs for any of the bumps on the bike.. carried an injury into the last run so could only shuffle up the greenway..
    seeing as both conway and flanagan are wearing marrey bikes jerseys i presume their both local ?

I think Tuum, think Flanagan rode the RAS before.

Class day, My first ever adventure race, 4:16hr for the supreme.

Crough Patrick was tougher than I expected.

Hopefully the first of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Well done to everyone behind Sea to summit. Fantastic race with top notch organisation. Its tough a race alright but well worth the pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

Don't be thinking like that! You still had more experience than me at adventure racing so the advice was great to receive. Well done yourself at the race!

Advertisement