Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting up Racing .....

• 08-10-2013 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Well all , ive been absolutely craving to get a bike (not neccesarily racebike) and get her out on the track , prefferably a 400 in the ultra lightweight class , but nothing higher .....

Im 18 and have reasonable motoring experience , i own a Honda Cbr 250 mc22 96' , Have all the racegear too in Leathers , Helmet (good arai one too) , etc. , everything but tyre warmers , paddock stands , and most importantly , A BIKE !!!! :P

So any tips to get me started ?

Wouldnt mind getting a cheap one and doing a bit of work on it over the winter , not thinking of tuning it neccessarily to early for that but just getting it race-ready !

also anyone else with any contacts with lads looking to sell , give us a shout ....

p.s also any idea on the budget needed ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

try www.irishbikeracing.com for further info, trackdays would be a good start to see how fast you actualy are..... :) try wandering around the paddock when the next meeting is on and find a not to busy racer and pick his brains!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭GavPJ

1st thing you need to do is decide whether its trackdays or racing you want to do.

Big difference in which ever one you want to start. Expense wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

Firstly, racing is much more expensive than doing trackdays, so you should definitely try a trackday or two to see if you like it before investing in a race setup.

When I started racing I spent two seasons in the Aprilia RS125 Cup and this was an affordable class, the bike was cheap to buy (around €2000 at the time) and included paddock stands, spares and all the other bits needed to get you going. The great thing about the Aprilia 125s is they teach you how to carry great corner speed. It is definitely the cheapest class to get racing in
    and many top riders started out there, for example I bought my bike off Jack Kennedy who now races in World Supersport, and raced against the like of Jamie Hamilton (road racer) and Cody Nally (British Superstock).

Other bits you will need to buy seperately are tyre warmers, an AMB transponder, spare oil, jerry cans, a trailer, the list goes on etc. You would only use two sets of tyres in a season of racing an Aprilia 125, however that would increase as you step up in size to 400s or 600s.

After two seasons in the Aprilia 125 I raced in the supersport class on a Honda CBR600RR, and this is where things really began to get expensive! For example, I took out a 4000 euro loan to buy a season's worth of tyres alone!

If you are looking at getting into the 400 class buy a bike that has already been converted to race spec and is a proven machine (lapping at a competitive pace). Although you will be initially learning and may not be quick at the outset, when you begin to improve you will want to have a competitive
    machine under you. As Serious 3 already mentioned, Irishbikeracing.com is a great resource so make sure to have a look at that site too!

You will also need to get a race license. To do this you need to get a medical, attend a flag seminar with an MCUI-associated bike club and then apply for it.

Best of luck Royaler, if you need more info drop me a pm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Firstly, racing is much more expensive than doing trackdays, so you should definitely try a trackday or two to see if you like it before investing in a race setup.

When I started racing I spent two seasons in the Aprilia RS125 Cup and this was an affordable class, the bike was cheap to buy (around €2000 at the time) and included paddock stands, spares and all the other bits needed to get you going. The great thing about the Aprilia 125s is they teach you how to carry great corner speed. It is definitely the cheapest class to get racing in
    and many top riders started out there, for example I bought my bike off Jack Kennedy who now races in World Supersport, and raced against the like of Jamie Hamilton (road racer) and Cody Nally (British Superstock).

Other bits you will need to buy seperately are tyre warmers, an AMB transponder, spare oil, jerry cans, a trailer, the list goes on etc. You would only use two sets of tyres in a season of racing an Aprilia 125, however that would increase as you step up in size to 400s or 600s.

After two seasons in the Aprilia 125 I raced in the supersport class on a Honda CBR600RR, and this is where things really began to get expensive! For example, I took out a 4000 euro loan to buy a season's worth of tyres alone!

If you are looking at getting into the 400 class buy a bike that has already been converted to race spec and is a proven machine (lapping at a competitive pace). Although you will be initially learning and may not be quick at the outset, when you begin to improve you will want to have a competitive
    machine under you. As Serious 3 already mentioned, Irishbikeracing.com is a great resource so make sure to have a look at that site too!

You will also need to get a race license. To do this you need to get a medical, attend a flag seminar with an MCUI-associated bike club and then apply for it.

Best of luck Royaler, if you need more info drop me a pm!

Do I know you chief???

Advertisement