Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make and do Christmas!!

Options
  • 08-10-2013 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Well I have officially started my Christmas present making. :D

Vanilla sugar is being made in a big mason jar on top of the fridge (great value on vanilla pods in Tiger BTW, perfect for vanilla sugar and infusing vodka etc.), my patchwork cushion covers are going well and I'll soon start some alcohol infusions and liqueurs.

Anyone else making pressies this year? I'm ston broke so I have to get imaginative! Although tbh I actually prefer making presents. Gets me in the spirit super early!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I have started make a few little bits too, but my favourite has to be the little hedgehogs and they are so easy to make!

stock-photo-hedgehog-made-of-book-by-child-over-white-background-64154545.jpg

Here is how to do it...

http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/book-hedgehog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

How do I qualify to be one of the recipients B&C??? :eek: I'd be thrilled with any of those gifts! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'm making my presents too. I tried to remember what I gave people last year and couldn't remember most, I think nice homemade gifts are more memorable. :)

Knitting some mug cosies, going to crochet some head scarves and lace collars. Gonna make some jams and chutneys, mulled wine mix, cocktail mixes, infused vodka, fudge and marshmallows.

I really gotta get cracking!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I'm going to try and make a night dress for my mum, eek!

I was going to attempt a homemade peppermint body scrub as well, that I saw on Pinterest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Going to make some stockings for my nearest and dearest!:D

Definitely going to make honeycomb, chilli jam and lemon curd. Finding it hard to locate uber cheap jars.

There were great ones in Ikea but they're huge!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I am not a big Christmas person, but love an excuse to give pressies! I am gonna do some hampers inspired by the thread in the Cooking forum (chocolate truffles, homemade baileys, chilli jam, onion marmalade). And I am attempting Sweet Trees next week for a family gathering, so will probably use the bases again for Roses or Celebrations at Christmas. Purely for recycling purposes ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Pang wrote: »
    Going to make some stockings for my nearest and dearest!:D

Definitely going to make honeycomb, chilli jam and lemon curd. Finding it hard to locate uber cheap jars.

There were great ones in Ikea but they're huge!

I always use these ones from ikea. They're the perfect size for Christmas pressies and super cheap. The lids now are better quality than they used to be too- not plastic so they can go into the oven for sterilisation.

http://m.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/art/40064702/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 elcollins

I am hoping to do some Christmas tree decorations and lots if foody things like chilli and tomato jam, grapefruit marmalade, bacon jam, mini Christmas cakes...... Fudge too. Made chocolate mints last year hut tempering was hard. Found small, cheap jars hard to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

I am currently laid up with a broken leg and am looking for simple enough craft ideas I could be doing to occupy my time. Has anyone any ideas they would like to share

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭AshAdele

Have started my christmas hamper, so far i have made my lemoncello, vanilla essence, vanilla sugar and cinnamon sugar.

will be doing the nigella chillie jam tonight!

for anyone wanting to make vanilla essence or sugar i bought my vanilla pods online from www.vanillabazaar.com, much cheaper then buying in the shops

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Everyone is making Chilli Jam this year, it sounds like something I'd love. What's it like?

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chilli-jam-2692

Im going to use Nigella Lawsons recipe, I've heard feed back that it is quite runny and should really be described as a chilli sauce, but I have both bottles and jars so ill see how I will store it once its made tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

can someone tell me how to do the vanilla infused vodka - sounds great.

just add vanilla to vodka, i have just made vanilla essence by doing exactly that, vodka and vanilla pods, i used 4 pods for 250ml.

if you just want a subtle taste i would probably just use 1 pod per bottle,

cut the pod in half, scrape out the seeds and add both the seeds and pod to the bottle, leave it to infuse for a few weeks,

Note: it will change colour, going a little brown due to the seeds

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I LOVE it! :D Gingerbread men upside, and decorated to look like Reindeer!

6ed5540ff9506a60545ce779ee8ddb5e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Fantastic!! ^^^^ love the reindeer. Was looking for a Christmas project to do with some kids, and this certainly fits the bill! thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I am about to start 3 puddings as family gifts. Bedlam in the bakery section of the supermarket today, they were gouging each others eyes out over the last pack of currants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

Well I have officially started my Christmas present making. :D

Vanilla sugar is being made in a big mason jar on top of the fridge (great value on vanilla pods in Tiger BTW, perfect for vanilla sugar and infusing vodka etc.), my patchwork cushion covers are going well and I'll soon start some alcohol infusions and liqueurs.

Anyone else making pressies this year? I'm ston broke so I have to get imaginative! Although tbh I actually prefer making presents. Gets me in the spirit super early!!
    I love this idea of vanilla sugar! (runs to look at B&C's pinterest for recipe).

I used to do the same, spread the joy year-round by making pressies...
    :/ but I don't have anyone to make anything for this year... except maybe a loosely woven, recycyled sweater turned into an eternity scarf for my sis :) (I'm broke :o)
    b096883f58558b9a68d8b4382a8e0df2.jpg
    Alicat wrote: »
    Wasn't sure where to put this, but I LOVE it! :D Gingerbread men upside, and decorated to look like Reindeer!

6ed5540ff9506a60545ce779ee8ddb5e.jpg
    oh sooooo cute! :D

Well the vanill asugar has turned out lovely, and i now have some butterscotch infused vodka finished (which is jut amazing) and marshmallow vodka still infusing... it's turning into more of a vodka marshmallow sryup/ jelly which is... interesting. Picked up some nice boxes for some woodburning decoration today so we'll see how that goes... Also need to pick up the pace with my sewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I'd love to make and jar fudge as presents for the in-laws but according to the interweb it only lasts 1-2 weeks stored at room temp or 2-3 weeks stored in the fridge. I have a free weekend at th start of December so I had planned to make it then but it'll never last long enough. Does anyone else make it long in advance? How does it keep for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Metacarpi

My bf and I are making our xmas jumpers this year :D

Metacarpi wrote: »
    My bf and I are making our xmas jumpers this year :D

You should make this one :D

Home-made-Christmas-Tree-Costume-Ideas-For-Women-2013-2014-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Metacarpi

Alicat wrote: »
    You should make this one :D

Home-made-Christmas-Tree-Costume-Ideas-For-Women-2013-2014-1.jpg
    omg that's class!! definitely giving it a go, will add in battery operated fairy lights and all!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Have made a red onion marmalade, mango chutney and some turkish delight vodka. So much to do, so little time!

Knitting is not coming on well at all. I was a masters student last Christmas so had all the time in the world for making presents instead of writing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

I need to make something distinctly Australian for an acquaintance who will miss his first warm christmas back home.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Does anyone have a good method for making fudge? (teeheehee) Every time I try to make it, it never sets right. I even invested in a sugar thermometer last year so I was sure it would turn out right, but it was a disaster again. I'm hoping to make some for my hubby this year.

Toots* wrote: »
    Does anyone have a good method for making fudge? (teeheehee) Every time I try to make it, it never sets right. I even invested in a sugar thermometer last year so I was sure it would turn out right, but it was a disaster again. I'm hoping to make some for my hubby this year.

I apologise. :D

I'm like you though, I can never get it to set right. Last time I made it I ended up eating it with a spoon from the container. Admittedly, a low point...

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I apologise. :D

I'm like you though, I can never get it to set right. Last time I made it I ended up eating it with a spoon from the container. Admittedly, a low point...

I thought I was the only one who did that!!! *cries*

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Toots* wrote: »

I use this recipe from the Carnation website. Super easy and no need for a sugar thermometer. There's even a video above the photo. It's really good. I make it for my husband's parents every year and it always goes down well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

I use this recipe from the Carnation website. Super easy and no need for a sugar thermometer. There's even a video above the photo. It's really good. I make it for my husband's parents every year and it always goes down well.

Hi BP what do you beat it with? By hand or with an electric mixer?

Advertisement