Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice lager style kit using ale yeast

Options
  • 08-10-2013 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of doing a standard lager style kit after doing English Ale, IPA and stout. It's mainly for the girlfriend who prefers the lagers like Heineken.

Any recommendations on kits that use ale yeast? I don't want the hassle of the lower temperatures for a proper lager yeast.

I have heard that Cooper's Canadian Blonde Ale is decent enough:

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/coopers-international-canadian-blonde-17-kg-beer-kit-513-p.asp

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

I'm thinking of doing a standard lager style kit after doing English Ale, IPA and stout. It's mainly for the girlfriend who prefers the lagers like Heineken.

Any recommendations on kits that use ale yeast? I don't want the hassle of the lower temperatures for a proper lager yeast.

I have heard that Cooper's Canadian Blonde Ale is decent enough:

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/coopers-international-canadian-blonde-17-kg-beer-kit-513-p.asp

Any thoughts?

Why not make a blonde beer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

True. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

No Sorry, have been doing all-grain for a few years now. Do you have capability of doing an extract brew?

Not yet, going to stick with kits for another while. Thanks anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Try the muntons gold midas touch or muntons gold pilsner ,very good kits 2can also so no extras needed ,maybe dry hop with saaz ,it will a pale ale without a lagering period and lager yeast ex.safele 23

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

tbh OP Ive yet to do a homebrew that my missus will drink, ive given up at this stage. Just brew for myself now. I did the coopers pilsner once but without temp control, it was crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

I've made the Coopers Lager with 700g of brewing sugar and 500g of dry malt extract and found it nicer than the Canadian Blonde.

Coopers Mexican Cerveza will give you something different again. (try boiling the rind & juice of 3 limes in a pint of water before adding to your FV with Brew Enhancer 2)

You won't get a lager without using a lager yeast but the Coopers range will give you some 'light' ale styles that are all quite nice.

Try the muntons gold midas touch or muntons gold pilsner ,very good kits 2can also so no extras needed ,maybe dry hop with saaz ,it will a pale ale without a lagering period and lager yeast ex.safele 23

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

For yeast Nothingham is great for pusedo lagers as it will ferment down at 14-15c and its a neutral even at standard ale temps

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fadedvision

Have tried a few of these kits now and am yet to find anything that comes close to a larger. The Coopers Canadian blonde is the closest ive had. Midas touch is nothing like a larger despite what it might say on the box. Havent tried the Mexican Cerveza or pilsner yet, must put them on the to do list.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Every version of the Mexican Cerveza I've tasted has been awful.

I've had good results with the basic Coopers Lager kit, dry-hopped. But again absolutely nothing like a commercial lager.

Midas touch is nothing like a larger despite what it might say on the box

I never said it was a lager ,it says golden ale on box as i have 2 unopened ,its a very good kit ,as most light kits are poor as beernut stated,go 3kg -3.6kg 2 can kits its money well spent .

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Devi wrote: »
    tbh OP Ive yet to do a homebrew that my missus will drink, ive given up at this stage. Just brew for myself now. I did the coopers pilsner once but without temp control, it was crap.

Wheat Beers and Belgians normally win over the OH in many cases (and true for my one).

Also easy to make in a wide temperature range.

sharingan wrote: »
    Wheat Beers and Belgians normally win over the OH in many cases (and true for my one).

Also easy to make in a wide temperature range.

Shes not a great beer lover anyway but Ive never done either, might give them a go and see what she thinks. Any good extract recipes? I found out some people (especially my missus) are highly sensitive to the taste of dextrose, so I prime with DME now but she still wont drink them, I think its in her head now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Devi wrote: »
    are highly sensitive to the taste of dextrose, so I prime with DME now but she still wont drink them, I think its in her head now.

glucoase/dextrose is 100% fermentable

oblivious wrote: »
    glucoase/dextrose is 100% fermentable

I know but to some people it leaves off flavors, kind of a twang for want of a better word. I get it a little bit but not as much as the OH.

A few ideas there alright, thanks.

She appears to like my Cooper's IPA - made with 1.5kg of LME and dry hopped with 50g of Cascade hops.

She does get a little suspicious of the darker beers, you wouldn't know what could be lurking in there... :eek: :D

A few ideas there alright, thanks.

She appears to like my Cooper's IPA - made with 1.5kg of LME and dry hopped with 50g of Cascade hops.

She does get a little suspicious of the darker beers, you wouldn't know what could be lurking in there... :eek: :D

If you have a large pot read up on steeping grains etc..... ex.crystal ,adding fresh malt to brew makes a world of difference to how kits taste

tteknulp wrote: »
    If you have a large pot read up on steeping grains etc..... ex.crystal ,adding fresh malt to brew makes a world of difference to how kits taste

Have to agree there, I only do partial extracts with a €20 stock pot form heatons and top up with water but it still turns out way better than any kits ive made, cheaper too.
    http://www.heatonsstores.com/Product/Stockpot-24-cm/264895/1502020200

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You can ferment lagers at 15 degrees (or even more)
    If you've a spare room, turn off the radiator
    Now the cold weather is here should drop to 15 or so handy

It's lagering that's hard, need 3 weeks at 0-3 degrees

• Advertisement
Advertisement