Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sewing grass seed

• 08-10-2013 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭

Could you use compost to sew grass seed. I have an area that I would like to put fown some grass.

Itis 28ft long by a foot and a half

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What is underneath? I suggest you dig and rake any soil then add compost and rake it in. Compost alone would not make a very stable surface to grow new grass on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭cena

It would be clay under it. I had planned on just laying stones down but it is work out too dear.

it is a bad patch at the side of the house. Just want to tidy it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If it is a shady spot up against a wall you could be annoying yourself trying to grow grass. Any chance of a photo?

When you say 'laying stones' do you mean something like gravel? You can get pea gravel if you look for it loose rather than bagged at a more reasonable price.You would need a good weed membrane under it, but it might be the easiest solution in the long run. You would need quite a lot of compost for that length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭blackbox

It looks too shady for good grass and would be a pain to mow.

I suggest you use the gravel/pebbles option. I would go for fairly large pebbles, as cats like to dig (and more) in fine gravel.

• Advertisement

The sun can get in. Where is the best place for cheap pebbles.

Advertisement