Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving job

Options
  • 08-10-2013 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I already made my resignation...problem is that I don't have a great relationship with the higher management. usually at this company when someone leaves the plant manager does a small speech for them in the canteen with everybody around....I have had issues with my boss and the plant manager and I really don't want to go through this...I would rather meet and say goodbye to everybody individually...how should I approach this so I don't have to go through it......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Who organises the time when the speech happens? If it's someone other than the people you've had issues with then could you let them know you aren't up for it? Or organise a seperate night out/event yourself? The manager might not be keen to do a speech either so could be glad of the opportunity not to.

I was in a similar position and we usually had a meal out, so I just booked all that myself and took the power away from boss/minions close to the boss. There was no speech at the end of the work day either, I actually wanted to run out the door asap but decent workmates had arranged a card so it was nice to be nice for them

• Registered Users Posts: 12 san786

stinkle wrote: »
    Who organises the time when the speech happens? If it's someone other than the people you've had issues with then could you let them know you aren't up for it? Or organise a seperate night out/event yourself? The manager might not be keen to do a speech either so could be glad of the opportunity not to.

I was in a similar position and we usually had a meal out, so I just booked all that myself and took the power away from boss/minions close to the boss. There was no speech at the end of the work day either, I actually wanted to run out the door asap but decent workmates had arranged a card so it was nice to be nice for them

Thanks for your reply. The receptionist organises the card and sends a mass email as well as an email for the time for the speech. Should i talk to her or shd i talk to the head of the plant who does the speech or just directly my boss.... ?

hmm would that put the receptionist in a weird position? I'm not trying to sound nosey either, but would a lot of people know about your situation with the boss and manager? If they dont, then "low key/no speech" might draw unwanted attention to them. On the other hand, you're leaving no one wants to sit through a sham speech from someone you clash with.

Is there a possibility that they might have a go at you in the speech by the way? As I mentioned earlier, maybe they'll be just as glad to not do it it's out in the open that that's what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 12 san786

I guess it wouldn't be ideal to talk to the receptionist about it.....people know that my manager and I don't get along that much...they def wouldn't have a go......So what do you think should I just approach my manager abt it and say it directly that I just want to arrange lunch with everybody and I don't like the attention the attention??

actually there's nothing wrong with saying you dont like the attention! Lots of people dont, for plenty of reasons. If you need this job for a reference in future it's probably not a bad idea to be as diplomatic as you can. Best case scenario here is you get a bit of a send-off from people you like and manager doesnt make a speech they don't mean and you dont want to sit through

• Advertisement
Advertisement