Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards cycle against cancer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

O what a fresh day :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Carpenter wrote: »
    O what a fresh day :D:D
    Amber alert warning issued for south western England - hurricanes with torrential rain this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Looks a bit windy and potentially damp. Should be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

Once more into the fray . . . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Monday 28th October
    I wont make this lads, best of luck. PS, mudguards are for wussbags :)

2076974851_faad8a71a4_m.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Lovely day, if a little bit breezy. A good turnout under the bridge so far. Mudguards in the minority :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Monday 28th October
    dqay.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Monday 28th October
    Sorry I could only do a small amount today. Good luck for the rest of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

Fantastic turnout, particularly givem the weather, and I was hugely touched by it. My Oakleys concealed the tears in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Monday 28th October
    Sorry I bailed early lads, but my left leg kept cramping up and when we got lost I decided to call it quits and spun into Bray to get the Dart home.

Great meeting you Padraig, and fair play to everyone for coming out despite the hurricane like winds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Monday 28th October
    Fair play to all of ye who turned up! I took a short spin down in Wexford this morning and the wind was very tricky.

Monday 28th October
    _Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Sorry I bailed early lads, but my left leg kept cramping up and when we got lost I decided to call it quits and spun into Bray to get the Dart home.

Great meeting you Padraig, and fair play to everyone for coming out despite the hurricane like winds.

At least you were werent the first!

Monday 28th October
    godtabh wrote: »
    At least you were werent the first!

You'd swear Beasty would know how to use a Garmin by now with all those KOMs but apparently not ;)

We took a wrong turn just after Enniskerry, and the group tried to go off another road to make it up to the cafe stop that way, but by then my leg was in bits so I said there's no way I'd make it!

Also, the dart is only running as far as Pearse so looks like I'll have a nice uphill ride home from there too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Well done to all involved today !!!

I wimped out :o Got up @ 7 and it was lashing rain here in Abbeyleix, So back to bed for an hour before going out on our club spin @ 9, weather had cleared a little by then. My heart was with all of the Boardsies today.

Had my new Boards gear ready to go too.
    Well done all.
    Kieran
    277837.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Monday 28th October
    Just in the door, also bailed early from the cafe as the thought of heading to Dundrum then back to Bray was too much! Great to see some faces I knew and meet a couple of new ones. What an incredible turnout there was today, and someone somewhere managed to sort out decent weather (we even got at least one rainbow!) for it! The only real rain I saw was a bit of drizzle in Glencree! Fair play to those who organised and great to meet you briefly LPB.
    WP_20131027_014.jpg
    Strava...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just arrived at cafe courtesy of a very scenic detour. There were originally 6 of us but the 2 who got us lost paid the ultimate sacrifice and provided the rest of us with the required nutrition. Wouldn't care but I was vegetarian before today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Sadly missed today, I was out on the bike and did a similar route but by the time I got to the cafe (an hour or so ago) I thought y'all would have been gone :( I passed 2 fellas wearing swords jerseys on my way back, think one of them nearly went into my back wheel stopping at a set of lights :pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Monday 28th October
    Well done lads, shocking morning on the bike here in the West.Dangerous.com. Proud of all the boardsies turning up.

That was great :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

As a posh Southsider I am already showered and dressed in the dry change of clothes my butler left out for me.

I pity you Northsiders still commuting home ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Fair play to everyone who turned out. Great to see so many boardsies and to talk briefly to LPB.

I left the cafe early as I was on a promise, nearly got blown off the road up on the exposed bit of Military Road. I couldnt imagine doing it in a group. I hope everyone got home safely!

Waiting for the Boards Strava Club to light up like a Christmas tree :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Any pics?

Any pics?

There should be 1 soon of the group there must have being 80 of us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

@Beasty

Waited at the Waterfall for you and then doubled back to find you with no luck. Apologies for the abandonment.

Great to see so many out. Well done all.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Enjoyed that (well apart from the wind and rain on the featherbeds). Good to meet some boardises-Needmoregears, Wishbone Ash and others- well done to everyone for setting it up and turning out (and donating).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Great spin. Love to see so many people come out.

Went up the Sally Gap afterwards with DirkVoodoo, Buffalo and one of our clubmates. Bit windy up there. At one point we had an echelon going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

anyone lose eye wear?
    I found glasses on stocking lane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Handy spin for a local:eek:, lucky me and my buddy had done it a few times before

great that the weather smiled on us,

even the wind over the feather bed was favourable around 12.30

I left the cafe early too , with 20 or more hungry boardies queuing up for food.

We were in the luminous orange, donation made under the bridge to plb 's sister

Fair play to DNS ers for doing the extra miles.

Well done all concerned, it was great to get out considering the forecast.

Bigus

colm18 wrote: »
    Enjoyed that (well apart from the wind and rain on the featherbeds). Good to meet some boardises-Needmoregears, Wishbone Ash and others- well done to everyone for setting it up and turning out (and donating).

Me, you, Darragh and Wishbone got caught bad there on the feather beds. We stayed in the cafe too long.
    Probably the most uncomfortable I've ever been on a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

Monday 28th October
    shutup wrote: »
    Me, you, Darragh and Wishbone got caught bad there on the feather beds. We stayed in the cafe too long.

Me too. Drownded by the rain/hail.

It was a pleasure and a privelige to meet you LPB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

g0g wrote: »
    WP_20131027_014.jpg
    Beautiful shot g0g, captures the spirit of the event perfectly.

Arrived at Dundrum well in time and was impressed by the size of the crowd already assembled. le petit braquet was in attendance too ... it was a privilege to meet you, sir, and to shake your hand.

Mine was one of a number of bikes that got blown over while waiting to set off. Rear derailleur took a knock and shifting was then a bit jittery for the remainder of the spin. I went backwards at one point due to a particularly crunchy downshift ... apologies to the Swords boardsie behind who was on the ball and managed to take evasive action.

Ta to CramCycle for the Jelly Babies! Bumped into daragh_ at the start and chatted with DirkVoodoo as we headed towards Enniskerry. Heard all about buffalo's plans to dominate A1 next year (;)). Enjoyed a nice scone and coffee at the Armoury with manwithaplan and doozerie, over which many words of wisdom were uttered concerning urban cycling, the delights of orthopaedic implants and, of course, the amazing way in which le petit braquet has responded to the cruel hand dealt to him.

After some more fiddling with the rear derailleur, set off back over the featherbeds with the Taxman. The crosswind up there was something else and chunks of the conversation were lost in the small gap separating us. I put my rainjacket on for the first time when I got back into Tallaght, so the weather really wasn't too bad overall.

A great event and thanks to all who helped to make it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Monday 28th October
    Fantastic turnout, particularly givem the weather, and I was hugely touched by it. My Oakleys concealed the tears in my eyes.

Padraig, it was fantastic to see you there, delighted to meet you. I can't imagine how hard it was to make it given your illness. You're very humble, you mentioned a couple times that you did nothing, it was everyone else that got this going etc. I'm not having that. Today was all down to you, the generosity of others was started by you, the braveness to speak about your illness and give genuinely life saving advice, your family must be so proud.

I won't forget anyway. Thanks Pal.

I am proud to say I spent the day with 2 gentlemen from the north side :D Edit 1 even said the south side was very nice but I am to much of a gent to mention his name .

Monday 28th October
    I am proud to say I spent the day with 2 gentlemen from the north side :D

Believe it or not lads we don't actually bite.

And were they northsiders or the NCD gang under their guise of northsiders :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Monday 28th October
    I also stayed a bit long in the cafe and had to head back to DNS direct rather than going over the Featherbeds. Got home for 1500 on the button. I didn't get any hail but the wind/rail from Glen of the Downs to Clontarf was a bit of challenge. Fair play to all, especially LPB, for turning up on a tough day.

I claim first spot of Wishbone Ash today (McAllistairs garage in Malahide. btw did any one else notice a bit of pink/green split in the cafe or was it just my hangover playing tricks on me?

• Advertisement

Those green ****ers knew better than to step over to our side

Monday 28th October
    _Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Believe it or not lads we don't actually bite.

And were they northsiders or the NCD gang under their guise of northsiders :p

True. They did need a south sider to guide to Dundrum though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Well that was nice! 109km door to door, with a puncture on the home straight and just a few small drenchings :)
    It was nice to meet you all for what was a lovely little route.

DNS & NCD meetup at the NCR
    277851.jpg

Dundrum
    277852.jpg

@LPB - Nice jacket!
    @Caroline_ie - Thanks for the French lesson :)
    @Beasty - next time you're choosing which Garmin to put on which bike...take the one that gives directions. :P

Monday 28th October
    btw did any one else notice a bit of pink/green split in the cafe or was it just my hangover playing tricks on me?

That was just Dermot Illogical in a green jersey and pink shorts ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

I am proud to say I spent the day with 2 gentlemen from the north side :D Edit 1 even said the south side was very nice but I am to much of a gent to mention his name .

I spent the day with two delightful Southsiders. One of these thinks Cruagh is on the Southside and Clondalkin is on DNS.. : ))

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

@Beasty - next time you're choosing which Garmin to put on which bike...take the one that gives directions. :P
    Lent one to Staro and have "sold" the other to Lusk_Doyle

Got home around half an hour ago. Longest on the bike for me in over 4 years - 127km or so over 6 hours and some extra climbing thrown in (1,600m or so in total). Then the rear shifter packed up, fortunately with only 10km or so to go on my newly configured "Double speed". Door to door around 9.5 hours and now well and truely knackered.

Delighted to see LPB getting out to the start and the cafe - sorry we held you up a bit but daragh_ told us to keep going, so we did, and then Cram sent us down some pretty dodgy descents (I would guess to give us a bit more climbing practice on the other side!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Monday 28th October
    godtabh wrote: »
    True. They did need a south sider to guide to Dundrum though

Ah that was you....Nice one. we were just about to head out that way. Honestly!!!!!!

Great to see LPB there. Puts it all into perspective. Proud to be a Boardsie today.

as for the spin.....It was nice and somewhat enjoyable.
    After the coffee myself and some of the Swords crew headed off over the Featherbeds which was the most challenging few mins on a bike.Pelting freezing rain combined with a gale force sidewind made staying upright a challenge.
    Then the descent down Stocking Lane. Usually very confident going downards but today I just sat on the brakes and took it handy thru the mini rivers.

Freezing at the bottom but a nice commute across the city meant I got to warm up again.
    90km or so for me.

2 Thanks due.
    detones: Thanks for the lifts and sorry for ruining your passenger seat on the way home.

The Tax Man: Good to talk to you again.And thanks for waiting up and guiding me those who hadnt a clue where they were to the coffee stop.

Rumours of the southsiders bringing their hack bikes out when they heard the Northsiders were coming are ,as yet, unfounded.

Monday 28th October
    Beasty wrote: »
    Lent one to Staro and have "sold" the other to Lusk_Doyle

Got home around half an hour ago. Longest on the bike for me in over 4 years - 127km or so over 6 hours and some extra climbing thrown in (1,600m or so in total). I have to buy a new bike now. Door to door around 9.5 hours and now well and truely knackered.

Delighted to see LPB getting out to the start and the cafe - sorry we held you up a bit but daragh_ told us to keep going, so we did, and then Cram sent us down some pretty dodgy descents (I would guess to give us a bit more climbing practice on the other side!)
    You do know what happened the last time anyone lent anything to Staro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Great to see so many boardsies and LPB himself. It was an honour to meet you.
    I am sorry I had to point out to a few of you guys that the green boards kit should probably not be worn in France. Here's why.
    We got hailed on and soaked on the way back to Clonee: perfect excuse to get back in my jimjams and veg for the rest of the day.
    Great 1st day of proper winter social spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Lovely spin in conditions than were a lot better than I expected. Spent more time stopped and nattering than I did moving which suited me fine. Nice to meet doozerie, keep her lit and others. Got to café early and didn't have the patience to wait for a general roll out so headed home down Stocking Lane to just beat the wife home and thus avoid grief.

I'm in the daragh "everything will be grand" camp. Right again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

These were taken by my good wife, who despite her many talents, will freely admit herself that photography is not one of them.

Link

Padraig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

What a turnout today-a true testament to Padraig and a reflection of the true gentleman that he is.

Chapeau! to all involved.

Got to ride to Glenamuck with godtabh-he had the bit between his teeth and had to be hauled in a few times:D It was obviously the good warm up he had cycling from DNS as fast as he could!

Rode most of the rest beside and in the ditch (mechanical!) with funkyjebus..Pleasure to have made your acquaintance!

Heartwarming to see the community club together in support of Padraig and his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

anyone lose eye wear?

They are my friends! Will drop you a Pm. Thanks for picking then up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That was a turnout great lads. Nice to put a few faces to usernames. Didn't make it to Infirmary Road due to a diversion and headwinds but encountered Need More Gears outside Malahide, and AltAccount at the canal.

My Garmin reset itself so I lost about 40kms! :( and ended up with just 101kms)

anyone lose eye wear?
    I nearly ran over them - spotted them just in time but, unlike you, I didn't stop to pick them up. :o
    Where did you go to? I seemed to have lost you somewhere after the Featherbeds and caught up with the Swords group in Ballyboden.
    I claim first spot of Wishbone Ash today (McAllistairs garage in Malahide
    The day is young yet!

Monday 28th October
    @Wishbone Ash
    Was that you that had 'tagged' onto the back of our group across the city.
    Were you in the Pink Boards Jersey and shorts and kept shooting off in seearch of KoM's with the tailwind.
    We were a small group of Swords-ies
    I was in a Pink Boards jacket and white gilet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement