Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bye Bye btea

Options
  • 08-10-2013 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all. Just received my acceptance letter for btea today but that's where the good news stops. I'm now being means tested?? I'm married and my wife is in full employment. I've been on social welfare website, citizens info. website, boards etc. and can see nothing about being means tested. I took my letter into my local SW office and they didn't know anything either, said they'd get back to me. Desperate times indeed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Ring the BTEA Head office:
    Tel:(071) 967 2616
    Locall:1890 927 999

There have been changes to how BTEA is administered lately but Carrick can / should be able to explain why you're being means tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mcleixlip

Sorry for repeating - i posted this on another thread too - but it's more in line with this thread:

"Yep - the buggers - I had to drop out last year because I was 4 days short of qualifying for BTEA - I deferred as a back-up. Nothing new on the job front this year so I re-accepted. Because of the change they're only giving €38pw (same as job-seekers because my wife earns €500pw). the €38 barely covers travel, can't afford childcare & forget books & even the cost of printing lecture notes/assignments. #screwed. "

What's killing me is I HAD to attend an interview in August where they offered me €180 pw if I was willing switch to a scheme to help out tidy towns etc... basically "something to do" - explained I was going back to college & they agreed it was a better option. I'm NOT poo-pooing the scheme, but as a method for getting people back-to-work, it's a non-runner - I don't get their priorities.

Meeting with local TD on Tuesday - I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RockBadger

Sorry to hear that mcleixlip. Yeah its pretty frustrating. What hurts most is the fact I could have planned for something else if Id have known this was coming down the line-caught completely unawares! My wife gets close to €550pw so Im entitled to €27!! Ill have to drop out and TRY find something. Shame cos Im loving it. I cant even go on the CE scheme that you were offered-you need to be on JSA for a year in order to do so. In a nutshell, Im willing to study/work for the extra welfare payment but thats not good enough anymore.

(Oh,as for you not getting their priorities-they are to take whatever they can, wherever they can, without shame, in order to satisfy our European Masters.

Advertisement