Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honeywell jobs gone

Options
  • 08-10-2013 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Just hearing on the news today that 74 jobs gone at Honeywell with others placed on shorter hours. Its time to fess up by the powers that be in particularly Richard Bruton that the so called Jobs Action Plan for the South East simply isn't working.

Last one out, please turn out the lights.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Unfortunately manufacturing is not cost affective in Ireland for many things, I don't see how the Irish Gov could stop them doing this...short of saying they'll make up the shortfall for the cost saving the company would make elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, its an awful situation for anyone affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Cabaal wrote: »
    Unfortunately manufacturing is not cost affective in Ireland for many things, I don't see how the Irish Gov could stop them doing this...short of saying they'll make up the shortfall.

Don't get me wrong, its an awful situation for anyone affected.

Government are asleep at the wheel,
    They are doing sweet **** all for the region,
    Their action plan should be pushing different sectors into the city, it's obvious the manufacturing is going to take a hit and not just in Waterford.
    They may not have been able to do anything about this but the certainly should be doing something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Two single biggest issues for manufacturing here are probably energy and transport, yet they'll be blaming wages in the media

Our energy market is tied in knots and power just keeps getting more and more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

00056b45-642.jpg
    RTE can't even get a picture of the factory that has announced the job cuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How old is that pic?!

Its being discussed on RTE radio now. Councillor Cummins with some soft soap re what the "powers that be" are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

A-wear could be next if landlords decide to be greedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 FestyOSemtex

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    A-wear could be next if landlords decide to be greedy.

Yep right here

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/awear-examinership-1120188-Oct2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Very sad news all round.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Two single biggest issues for manufacturing here are probably energy and transport, yet they'll be blaming wages in the media

Our energy market is tied in knots and power just keeps getting more and more expensive.

Two issues for manufacturing in Ireland! Wages and Wages. I speak from experience. Energy might be a small issue but transport is not. Its just so much cheaper to manufacturer in the far east, even with the shipping, duty and vat. The government cant do anything about that, unless they drop the minimum wage to 1euro per hour.

Pharma
    IT/Technology
    Agriculture

These will take over from Manufacturing i think.

Hopefully the honeywell redundancy's will get a good package, its terrible to hear it on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Two issues for manufacturing in Ireland! Wages and Wages. I speak from experience. Energy might be a small issue

Intel's largest cost in Ireland is energy!
    One of the reasons they came to Ireland in the first place was relatively low cost energy supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

RIP Waterfords Industrial Sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Two issues for manufacturing in Ireland! Wages and Wages. I speak from experience. Energy might be a small issue but transport is not. Its just so much cheaper to manufacturer in the far east, even with the shipping, duty and vat. The government cant do anything about that, unless they drop the minimum wage to 1euro per hour.

Pharma
    IT/Technology
    Agriculture

These will take over from Manufacturing i think.

Hopefully the honeywell redundancy's will get a good package, its terrible to hear it on the news.

Agree 100% it costs far too much to manufacture in ireland compared to china india etc, on a purely business point of view you wud be stupid to manufacture in ireland when its soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cheap to maufacture in china or india.lidl and aldi all use india to make clothes for us, I'm sorry for all the people who lost their job but manufacturing isnt cost effective in ireland.

Advertisement