Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gaming laptop for €500?

• 08-10-2013 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So i want to get a new laptop mainly for gaming but my budget is 500...550 the most! anyone know of any decent gaming laptops for that price? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What sort of games are you intending to play?

To be honest, it's very unlikely you'll be able to get anything that would run most games on anything but the lowest settings for that price. Would you consider buying/building a desktop for the same price or else upping your budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Hi, rather than start a new thread. I figured I could just post in this one. I'm looking to buy a gaming PC. For all up and new coming games and to be able to run them very comfortably.

Price Budget: 600-800

I don't currently have a monitor/Keyboard/Headset/Mouse. That are anyway decent so looking to upgrade everything.

Type of games I'm looking to play: BF:4, Starcraft,Diablo III. Etc

All help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dmck278

yeah i know what you mean! building a desktop isnt really an option because of all the travelling i'm doing:(
    but if i was to up my budget for a decent gaming laptop what would you recommend?

I mainly play rpg's sandboxes, shooters etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

You will not get a gaming laptop for that money.

Wait for the first Haswell Core i5 laptops to arrive, Intel's HD 4600 is as good as it gets within your budget.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

unfortunately gaming laptops go for about double their desktop equivalent.

ie. to run modern games somewhat comfortably, you want a budget of upwards of €1000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Unless AMD fusion APUs are reasonable in the IRE market then you might be SOL. Still, try looking for something running an AMD A8 or A10, they'll do a lot better than Intel HD Graphics for under the cost of something with an Intel/GPU combo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Overheal wrote: »
    Still, try looking for something running an AMD A8 or A10, they'll do a lot better than Intel HD Graphics for under the cost of something with an Intel/GPU combo.

That really depends on the model. AMD A8-3520M for example has a Radeon 6620G which is no better than Intel's HD 4000 and the processing power is level with a current mobile Pentium CPU. Clearly no gaming material. The A8-4500M has a Radeon 7640G which is on par with Intel's new HD 4600 but the preocessor is still 20% slower than a Core i3.

And the A10 is ridiculously overpriced here, seen a HP posted here the other day for 750 yoyos. A joke really, for little more you'll get a Haswell quad Core i7 laptop with a GT 740M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

dmck278 wrote: »
    So i want to get a new laptop mainly for gaming but my budget is 500...550 the most! anyone know of any decent gaming laptops for that price? Thanks

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15r-se-7520/pd

Laptop on the left, i5-3230m Radeon 7730m.

Use coupon code

746PSVDX$8CNBV

TOTAL :€ 594.26

You'll need to get another €44.26.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's a decent deal.

Fusion is overrated in my opinion. The price to performance ratio is terrible. Don't get the whole fuss about it at all. Same goes for desktops. People raving about it at an affordable gaming option when a cheap 50 euro entry level cpu + cheap 70 euro discrete graphics whip it.

I got a GT640/i3 combo on saveonlaptops recently for 450 euro. Don't game on it much, but it does get through Chivalry on high settings, Battlefield 3 at low/medium (which still looks pretty good) fine.

Wouldn't expect more than that for such a low budget gaming wise. Better off building a desktop. With a budget of 550, laptop vs desktop, you're literally talking low-ish settings, versus high/ultra.

• Advertisement
Advertisement