Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most powerful XBMC player available now?

• 08-10-2013 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭

I currently have a WD Live Player but I'd be interested in replacing it with a dedicated XBMC player, something like this .

Every device I've read up on so far has had it's limitations though. Without going to the hassle of building my own device is there a dedicated player I can buy that is powerful enough to handle 3d/1080/XBMC seamlessly?

Comments

Frame-packed 3D or just half-SBS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Probably a fully loaded Haswell Nuc, but it'll cost you.
    TLBB or Raspberry Pi B or Ouya are the main ones which have customised builds. TLBB have been caught in the middle of a spat with XBMChub and dont support Fusion anymore as a result which is a deal breaker for me. thats a shame as I would have ranked TLBB as my first choice at that price point otherwise. The raspberry pi supports cec (your tv remote though hdmi) if your TV is post 2009 (most tv's)which is a big plus too. I have one with a nice case and it all works great.
    Another nice system would be the new rev Acer Revo RL80 with faster celeron and Openelec.
    The Nuc is the best kit though to do it all, but its going to cost multiples of the above

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Supercell wrote: »
    Probably a fully loaded Haswell Nuc, but it'll cost you.

Thanks I didn't know about these. Looks great. Could I get away with using a USB key for running XBMC? Or do I definitely need a 32/64gb mSATA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Thanks I didn't know about these. Looks great. Could I get away with using a USB key for running XBMC? Or do I definitely need a 32/64gb mSATA?

I run xbmc on a Raspberry Pi using a 32Gb SD card.

Don't know about a USB key, but I would imagine it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TheRoller

I got me one of these beasts, €140.00 inc delivery, received in 2 days, plays 1080p super smooth, i've also installed all the usual repositories in xbmc to watch the footie, etc. ;)

The Little Black Box

Remote works well also with the added keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭ufc pro

ouya all the way, not a single problem playing anything, 3d/1080 all formats! plus hardware accelleration in latest build, truly the best and cheapest device i have used for xbmc yet! not 1 bad thing to saya bout it,absolutly love it! have a look before you decide, you wont be disapointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

I've loosing the rag a bit with the raspberry pi - yah its cheap but it's just so painfully slow

I've done every speed up process possible under the sun and it's just not snappy enough for me

Was going to just build a fast little HTPC as I have case, PSU, etc laying about but I've just heard about the OUYA and TLBB

Can both run XBMC flawlessly? If I get the OUYA what else can it do?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

This interests me too. What about this option: http://www.adverts.ie/3634097

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Stingerbar wrote: »
    I've loosing the rag a bit with the raspberry pi - yah its cheap but it's just so painfully slow

I've done every speed up process possible under the sun and it's just not snappy enough for me

Was going to just build a fast little HTPC as I have case, PSU, etc laying about but I've just heard about the OUYA and TLBB

thanks

Seriously? Are you running latest popcornmix Openelec Gotham build with a decent usb drive , a decent overclock in the config.txt (high or even force_turbo=1) and a good usb stick? You do have the MPEG2 hardware decoding also enabled?
    If not then you're not getting the best out of it.

I have all these (except not running force_turbo=1) and its pretty quick, hard to see the merit in upgrading. MKV's start almost instantaneously and 1080p rips play perfectly.
    I've also XBMC installed in a I7 Windows 7 laptop and to be honest there really isnt much of a difference that I can tell or justify getting a faster dedicated box for.

If I was getting another box without spending a fortune it would be the TLBB as its specifically developed and supported on XBMC.

XBMC on the OUYA is a secondary(if even) addon which may or may not get better in the future unlike TLBB which almost certainly will (as that what its developers are specifically selling it for) and its wireless is poor by all accounts so its not for me.

That said, I'm sticking with my Pii for now :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

The Pi appears to play films, that part is okay (for now)

It's the menu selection, I put it in Confluence, lowered to 720p, overclocked (to super), installed via USB (for extra speed) with a fast SD card, I have reinstalled with openelec, raspbmc several times and different configurations, I've even let it sit for a few days flicking through the films.

The menu struggles, I end up having to switch off fan art, I guess it just comes down to preference I like having a fast good looking interface, but with the Pi, as good as it is, just doesn't seem fast enough

I ran XBMC with a heavy skin (Aeon), 1080p off the laptop last night and the difference was huge, very fast and responsive with the film library (around 900 films)

• Advertisement

Stingerbar wrote: »

thanks

If you want to run XBMC flawlessly, with minimal lag, fast library updates etc personally I would build a basic x86 PC. Especially since you already have the case and PSU.

Advertisement