Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Product purchased in Argos - please advise

Options
  • 08-10-2013 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I bought a Braun epilator in Argos in May. I had previously owned an epilator and it lasted 2 years before it broke down.

This epilator is only 5 months old and it's on its last legs. It a rechargeable one - 40mins charging = 60 mins cordless use. That was the case for the first 4 months. In the last month I need to charge it for about an hour to get about 10 mins out of it and its getting worse.

I have a link to the product page on argos here:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4433147/Trail/searchtext%3EBRAUN+SILK+EPIL.htm

I have my receipt but I don't know what my next step should be, it's meant to be covered by a manufactured warranty for 2 years.

Can someone help me out please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If you have the receipt, then take it back to the store. Your contract is with the store, not the manufacturer. See what they have to say first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

If you have the receipt, then take it back to the store. Your contract is with the store, not the manufacturer. See what they have to say first.

I intend to do that tomorrow - it's just the receipt states that the product is excluded from their 30-day Guarantee - so I thought they would just tell me to contact the manufacturer anyway - which seems as hard task as Braun don't seem to have a customer services base in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

As said above bring it back to the store first and see what they say. I'm assuming you still have the warranty info that came with it? Anytime I had trouble with anything under warranty argos was very good at replacing it no hassle (had two hair stylers give up the ghost within the 1 yr warranty period and they replaced them for me no quibbles).

The product also has to be 'fit for purpose'. Doesn't matter WHAT Argos say. Which from the sounds of it, the epilator is not. Take it back and speak to a manager.

As said above bring it back to the store first and see what they say. I'm assuming you still have the warranty info that came with it? Anytime I had trouble with anything under warranty argos was very good at replacing it no hassle (had two hair stylers give up the ghost within the 1 yr warranty period and they replaced them for me no quibbles).

Oh well that's good to hear. No there actually wasn't anything in the box regarding the warranty, I remarked that at the time because I always keep everything. So all I have is my receipt.

• Advertisement

The product also has to be 'fit for purpose'. Doesn't matter WHAT Argos say. Which from the sounds of it, the epilator is not. Take it back and speak to a manager.

Yes exactly, like it was really expensive, a heck of a lot more than the first one I had which was a Phillips that I bought in Enniskillen.

It's beyond tedious, in 10 minutes you hardly get anything done and then I have to leave it charging again for another hour and by now I have just given up.

I'll go into them tomorrow and let ye know how I get on, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Oh well that's good to hear. No there actually wasn't anything in the box regarding the warranty, I remarked that at the time because I always keep everything. So all I have is my receipt.

It's an inexpensive item. (compared to the price of a lot of the items they sell) Go back with your receipt. That is your warranty with Argos. Explain the situation & let them deal with it.
    They may need to put the unit to the test to see if it charges etc, but 9 times out of 10, if the item is in good nick, no apparent damage etc. They will replace the item for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I intend to do that tomorrow - it's just the receipt states that the product is excluded from their 30-day Guarantee - so I thought they would just tell me to contact the manufacturer anyway - which seems as hard task as Braun don't seem to have a customer services base in Ireland.

That's just a no-quibble change of mind period during which you can return perfectly good unused items for a full refund.
    It does not apply to defective items, since defective items are generally covered by consumer law and manufacturers' guarantee.

To give an example. I bought a hand-held Dust Devil a couple of years ago. The vacuum packed up after 11 months. Took it back to Argos who gave me another, without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Argos generally have one of the best 'take back with almost no questions asked' policy. Go and be nice to them and you'll get places. Don't go in roaring and shouting!

• Advertisement

I don't think many people go into a shop roaring and shouting because a product is faulty in all fairness.

I work in retail myself and my experience is that some customers come in with sn attitude because they think they will be met with negativity but usually trained staff know how to meet attitude with calmness and manners and this usually appeases the situation and everyone can get sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You're in retail and asking about a return of product???

Anyway, just bring it back Argos are brilliant to deal with.

You're in retail and asking about a return of product???

That's a bit patronizing to be honest Lauren Scruffy Someone. Do you not know there are different types of retail? I don't work with products that are sold with a manufacturers warranty. We have a store returns policy only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

That's a bit patronizing to be honest Srameen. Do you not know there are different types of retail? I don't work with products that are sold with a manufacturers warranty. We have a store returns policy only.
    I think what the previous poster meant was it sounds (to me at any rate) like you have had no training in the consumer legislation that governs all retail transactions. Shop policy and manufacturers' guarantees are in secondary place to consumer's rights in consumer law.

Ask your boss to organise training in the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 for all the staff. It still shocks me how little retail staff including management actually know about this foundation stone for consumer rights in this country.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

That's a bit patronizing to be honest Srameen. Do you not know there are different types of retail? I don't work with products that are sold with a manufacturers warranty. We have a store returns policy only.

Not really, consumer legislation applies to your business too regardless of what type of retail you're in or your store returns policy. However some retail staff are back-office staff and don't have/need exposure to consumer returns, so keep asking :) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

mathepac wrote: »
    I think what the previous poster meant was it sounds (to me at any rate) like you have had no training in the consumer legislation that governs all retail transactions. Shop policy and manufacturers' guarantees are in secondary place to consumer's rights in consumer law.

Ask your boss to organise training in the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 for all the staff. It still shocks me how little retail staff including management actually know about this foundation stone for consumer rights in this country.

HTH

The store policy is all that the retailer will be interested in promoting. I'd like to say it's down to the UK/Ireland divide but in reality it's simply retailers trying to avoid their responsibilities.(UK and Irish Law are almost identical Scotland is a slight exception) I can assure you Johnny member of staff will not be doing himself any favours by bringing it to the attention of management that the policy is probably rubbish.

It continues to astound me that people seem to think a receipt is the only valid proof of purchase. Be informed, polite and smart about what you ask for is the best an individual can do to be honest. Also vote with your feet, Argos tend to be one of the better retailers.

Isn't this a refreshing take on consumer rights in Ireland from a major technology player. This quotation, displayed very prominently, is from the support portion of the web-site

"Complimentary Support

In Ireland, consumers are entitled to a free of charge repair or replacement, by the seller, of goods which do not conform with the contract of sale.

Under Irish law, consumers have up to six years from the date of delivery to exercise their rights however, various factors may impact your eligibility to receive these remedies.

Most [of our] products also come with 90 days of complimentary phone support and a one-year limited warranty.

We recommend that you check your coverage before contacting us.
    "

Bolding and the content of square brackets are mine, not Apple's theirs. As I don't have Apple's their agreement to copy bits of their website, I won't attribute it. All copyrights are Apple's the publishers.

Here is a link to the minimum EU wide product cover that Apple the major technology player / retailer provides.

Isn't this a refreshing take on consumer rights in Ireland from a major technology player. This quotation, displayed very prominently, is from the support portion of the web-site

"Complimentary Support

In Ireland, consumers are entitled to a free of charge repair or replacement, by the seller, of goods which do not conform with the contract of sale.

Under Irish law, consumers have up to six years from the date of delivery to exercise their rights however, various factors may impact your eligibility to receive these remedies.

I think the underlined part is actually EU law...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There's statuary rights that apply, a stores return policy can not deny some one there rights.

No, that is established Irish case law AFAIK. I added the minimum EU wide coverage to my post above. It's all very very good for consumers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

No, EU law only gives up to two years protection and while some parts were brought in here it was not adopeted in its entirety here as irish law gives up to 6years protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not at all. It is just a reflection of the truth thatv your employer has not trained his staff on consumer law, leaving a situation where you could not deal with an issue for a customer let alone yourself. Store policy is not what counts - tell your employer!
    The obvious thing to me is that Argos are a very good example of a retailer who bothered to train staff not only in customer service but consumer law as well.
    Anyway, you should have not problem with your query (assuming you haven't been back to then by now) - watch and learn while you're there.

Not at all. It is just a reflection of the truth thatv your employer has not trained his staff on consumer law, leaving a situation where you could not deal with an issue for a customer let alone yourself. Store policy is not what counts - tell your employer!
    The obvious thing to me is that Argos are a very good example of a retailer who bothered to train staff not only in customer service but consumer law as well.
    Anyway, you should have not problem with your query (assuming you haven't been back to then by now) - watch and learn while you're there.

Some Argos staff haven't got a clue.
    There have been many threads on here of managers abusive customers, asking to have them physically removed etc.
    They are no better or worse overall than anyone else.

Exactly who are you to tell me that my employer has not trained me correctly. I work for a very large UK chain store that employs over 25,000 people across the UK and Ireland. We have compulsory training twice a year and I have worked there for over 7 years. Never once has (and I quote you), my employer left me in a situation where I felt unable to deal with a customer issue due to a lack of training.

Our store policy is very comprehensive and the only times I can ever remember have issues with customers is when I have not believed a fault to be true.

I am open to anyone's advice on here and most people are able to provide such advice in an non-patronizing and inoffensive way, you on the other hand do not.

You initally annoyed me with your string of '????' after your first comment. So while you tell me to 'watch and learn while you're here' - let me advise you to do the same and maybe you might reflect on the way in which you word your sentences in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

No, that is established Irish case law AFAIK. I added the minimum EU wide coverage to my post above. It's all very very good for consumers.

It's the Statute of Limitations Act 1957. The minimum coverage outlined in Directive 1999/44/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 25 May 1999 does not apply in Ireland. Directives are binding only in their aim not in their entirety, Ireland chose to remain with the six year limitation period with decisions made on a case by case basis. You can find the enacting legislation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Exactly who are you to tell me that my employer has not trained me correctly. I work for a very large UK chain store that employs over 25,000 people across the UK and Ireland. We have compulsory training twice a year and I have worked there for over 7 years. Never once has (and I quote you), my employer left me in a situation where I felt unable to deal with a customer issue due to a lack of training.

Our store policy is very comprehensive and the only times I can ever remember have issues with customers is when I have not believed a fault to be true.

I am open to anyone's advice on here and most people are able to provide such advice in an non-patronizing and inoffensive way, you on the other hand do not.

You initally annoyed me with your string of '????' after your first comment. So while you tell me to 'watch and learn while you're here' - let me advise you to do the same and maybe you might reflect on the way in which you word your sentences in the future.

To be fair, you did display very little knowledge of consumer law in your original post when you mentioned the 30 day Argos no quibble return, when this has absolutely nothing to do with either the product warranty or consumer law.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Some Argos staff haven't got a clue.
    There have been many threads on here of managers abusive customers, asking to have them physically removed etc.
    They are no better or worse overall than anyone else.

Didn't work in Argos but in similar, it flies both ways, the amount of times I've had people wave their consumer rights in my face for a product with physical damage is unreal, or they insisted on a product being replaced not repaired as they wouldn't have the product while it was being repaired/inspected and that wasn't right/fair/whatever.

And of course, some of these people become very angry when you argue, most people on here state that you should always remain calm in these situation and I couldn't agree more, you're not going to get very far with a staff member when you get abusive.

Update:

Went into Argos today. Manager was excellent, very efficient and polite. They had the same model in stock and offered me a replacement while I happily accepted. Very happy with the outcome, was in and out in about 5 minutes. Thanks for the help everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

It's an inexpensive item. (compared to the price of a lot of the items they sell) Go back with your receipt. That is your warranty with Argos. Explain the situation & let them deal with it.
    They may need to put the unit to the test to see if it charges etc, but 9 times out of 10, if the item is in good nick, no apparent damage etc. They will replace the item for you.

Receipt is not a warranty. Every customer service person who says it is wrong. Receipt is proof of purchase.

• Advertisement

Receipt is not a warranty. Every customer service person who says it is wrong. Receipt is proof of purchase.

The receipt you receive from Argos is both a proof of purchase & your guarantee with them

Advertisement