Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does one 'get' a lawyer?

• 08-10-2013 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

For quick legal questions that one might have about their liability, or about whether someone they encounter is breaking the law, I don't know any lawyer, so where would one go to have these questions answered? Is it free to just ring a random lawyer and ask them a question? If you wanted to regularly go to the same lawyer would you have to arrange some sort of payment?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Dalta wrote: »
    For quick legal questions that one might have about their liability, or about whether someone they encounter is breaking the law, I don't know any lawyer, so where would one go to have these questions answered?

A solicitor's office.
    Is it free to just ring a random lawyer and ask them a question?

Of course not. You can make an appointment with FLAC if you want Free legal advice.
    If you wanted to regularly go to the same lawyer would you have to arrange some sort of payment?

Naturally. How else do you think lawyers pay their rent, salaries etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Naturally. How else do you think lawyers pay their rent, salaries etc?
    I thought money grew on trees!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

odds_on wrote: »
    I thought money grew on trees!

You obviously know nothing about economics. Every time a supermodel gets out of bed it creates an extra $5,000 in GDP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

You obviously know nothing about economics. Every time a supermodel gets out of bed it creates an extra $5,000 in GDP.

I thought it was in not out, and must involve a Russian oligarch.

infosys wrote: »
    I thought it was in not out, and must involve a Russian oligarch.

If you have to ask how much that costs, you can't afford it!

I like this thread. Lawyer to hooker in 3 easy steps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Dalta

Jesus, way to be condescending, insulting and not very helpful.

It's common in many professions to ring someone up just asking for information.

Can we step out of our comfort zones a wee bit and try to be helpful now with the next question?

So, you're saying I need to set up an appointment just to ask a few questions? And pay for the privilege? Fair enough if that's the case, just wondering. And 'getting' a lawyer, as in, having a lawyer who comes to your aid if something happens, that's just a matter of going back to the same lawyer regularly and advice?

Oh and FLAC takes several months before you actually get any advice, so it's not a very practical option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

It's common in many professions to ring someone up just asking for information.
    Really? If I rang up my lifelong family GP asking for free medical advice, that would be bad form at best. People have the right to earn a crust; they even have the right to earn a gold encrusted salary, if they can.
    So, you're saying I need to set up an appointment just to ask a few questions? And pay for the privilege? Fair enough if that's the case, just wondering.
    You could just wander in to your chosen solicitor's office and see if someone's available. But of course you would ordinarily have to pay.

Part of a lawyer's trade is to sell the stock of information he has gathered, no different to fishermen peddling their trawls, and farmers with bushels of corn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

One can acquire a lawyer by trying random clubs on Harcourt St on a weekend and some weekdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

You can definitely call one up and explain what kind of information you're looking for and make an appointment, call in but expect a bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

So, you're saying I need to set up an appointment just to ask a few questions? And pay for the privilege? Fair enough if that's the case, just wondering.
    You make a point when you say that in other jobs, people will give you helpful advice over the phone and not charge anything. This is true. However, these people are not in the business of giving advice, because if they were and if they were doing it for free, they'd be doing themselves out of a job.

People ring up solicitors all the time looking for legal advice. If an issue can be dealt with in thirty seconds over the phone, I think that there may be many solicitors who are happy to oblige, but if some punter is going to keep talking for more than a couple of minutes, then a lot of private solicitors will ask them to make an appointment.

Also, bear in mind that if a solicitor is answering legal questions over the phone, if someone suffers as a result of his negligent advice, that solicitor may well be sued, whether or not his advice was free.
    And 'getting' a lawyer, as in, having a lawyer who comes to your aid if something happens, that's just a matter of going back to the same lawyer regularly and advice?
    Like in any business, regular or longstanding clients are going to get good service.

However, for people who don't need a solicitor on a regular basis, there may not be a need to create a solicitor-client relationship before time.

For instance, if a punter gets caught for drink driving and needs a solicitor, he can make enquiries and get recommendations. There won't be a problem in getting a good solicitor to defend him.
    Oh and FLAC takes several months before you actually get any advice, so it's not a very practical option.
    I would guess that this probably depends on the particular FLAC centre in question. The ones of which I am aware have a walk-in service, where no appointment is needed and there are no real waiting lists apart from the queue which may be in front of you.

Maybe you are talking about the Legal Aid Board. Some Law Centres are backed up for months. Others have shorter waiting lists.

If you can't get a particular issue sorted by FLAC and if the waiting list is too long at your local Law Centre (Legal Aid Board), then try ringing a private solicitor and see how that goes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

NoQuarter wrote: »
    One can acquire a lawyer by trying random clubs on Harcourt St on a weekend and some weekdays.

Fixed your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Most solicitors will give you some information over the phone, as with any business this will be on the basis of trying to get you in the door. If there is any business that isn't giving you information on this basis please do enlighten me. (Public Transport excluded :pac:)

The other issue is if you are advised on the merits of the PS4 vs the Xbox One the person advising you is very unlikely to sued if the information they give you is not correct. A solicitor has to take the information you give them and advise accordingly. This is a lengthy process and is only right that you pay. That said many solicitors will give you a free initial consultation. Ring and ask.

If you need a lawyer on an ongoing basis it's exactly the same as any other service, you keep going back to the same person. If it's a criminal matter the Garda station will likely have some numbers, note this list might be more reflective of contributions to the policaman's ball rather than anything else.

The waiting list fro FLAC is not months in the majority of centres. Whether your type of queries are going to endear you to the local clinic is a question only you can answer. Please bear in mind these centres are there for people that can;t afford a solicitor and have one off queries.

Jesus, way to be condescending, insulting and not very helpful.

Please don't try to turn this around on us.

You come into the Legal Discussion forum. You ask how one "gets" a lawyer as though a lawyer is some sort of puppy.

You then trivialise the legal profession by suggestion that you can just ask a "random" lawyer a question and you expect them to give you advice for free.

Then you describe your amazement that meeting a lawyer to get your legal questions answered requires you to "pay for the privilege"

Worst of all, you disparage an excellent free service - FLAC - who have provided immeasurable benefit to many many people in the State - because they don't drop everything and give you your answer.

So please tell me who exactly is being condescending to whom?

Advertisement