Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on vicious neighbourhood dog

• 08-10-2013 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I'm looking for advice on what to do about a vicious dog that's allowed roam around the green across the road from us. It's a little jack russell which bit my daughter last year but i didn't even tell the owners because they are not the type you want to get into conflict with. We recently got a dog and when over playing in the green with it it attacked our dog and ran off with the ball, and was viciously growling at me when I tried to get the ball back. When I asked the boy from the family who owns it and happened to be in the green to bring it home he refused and when I said your dog is vicious he said dogs are vicious. We brought our dog in and when I took it out to the shop a little later the other dog came over and started being vicious towards it. What do I do. Is ringing the dog warden likely to do any good or does anyone have any suggestion of how to deal with this. I want to be able to bring my dog over to the green (or for a walk) without having this vicious little animal attacking my dog, but I want to stay anonymous as far as having the problem dealt with.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

If a dog bites your child you get them straight to A&E and then call the Gardaí.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

You can ring the Dog Warden, they'll ask for your details but they'll keep your identity anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 humtydumty

Thanks, but how do the dog wardens actually deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

humtydumty wrote: »
    Thanks, but how do the dog wardens actually deal with it.
    As far as I know they'd ask you for the address of the dog owners and what happened. Probably a description of the dog as well and then they'd call to the house and speak to the owner to notify them that a complaint had been made about the dog. Presumably they'd be reminded that it's illegal to let a dog roam and they'd probably check that the dog is licensed. After that I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

They'll come and have a chat with the owners and take it from there. We witnessed some kids beating the crap out of a dog a few months ago...somebody else called the warden because it had been going on weeks in broad daylight in the park with different members of the family... warden came and took the dog away with the assistance of the police... Dog back a few weeks later running around the park unattended, no collar, no lead and no control. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

tk123 wrote: »
    They'll come and have a chat with the owners and take it from there. We witnessed some kids beating the crap out of a dog a few months ago...somebody else called the warden because it had been going on weeks in broad daylight in the park with different members of the family... warden came and took the dog away with the assistance of the police... Dog back a few weeks later running around the park unattended, no collar, no lead and no control. :mad:

Which to me means that ringing the warden does little or no good. Hopefully sometime they're more succesfull.

Maybe collect the dog and drop it to the nearest rescue.

(possibly take the kids as well**)

(**yes mods, I know I'm well out of line, just speaking my mind, wine affecting filter between brain and mouth and people that maltreat their dogs animals piss me off)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

wexie wrote: »
    Which to me means that ringing the warden does little or no good. Hopefully sometime they're more succesfull.

Maybe collect the dog and drop it to the nearest rescue.

(possibly take the kids as well**)

(**yes mods, I know I'm well out of line, just speaking my mind, wine affecting filter between brain and mouth and people that maltreat their dogs animals piss me off)

Yeah a bit mad that she's back and running amok again although the few times I've seen her they haven't laid a finger on her..because she's down one end of the park and they're down the other or not there at all! :mad:

I was in the vets a few weeks ago and the warden strolled in (i've never seen him before so don't know if there's a few of them for DCC) and was asking about a dog who had been brought in to one of the other branches of our vets after a dog attack - seemed to be following up on it etc.. We were all on the edges of our seats trying to listen :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Yeah a bit mad that she's back and running amok again although the few times I've seen her they haven't laid a finger on her..because she's down one end of the park and they're down the other or not there at all! :mad:

I was in the vets a few weeks ago and the warden strolled in (i've never seen him before so don't know if there's a few of them for DCC) and was asking about a dog who had been brought in to one of the other branches of our vets after a dog attack - seemed to be following up on it etc.. We were all on the edges of our seats trying to listen :p

I really hope these are actual dog people rather than 'just' civil servants.
    One of my kids loves watching the animal rescue programs (current favourite is RSPCA in Australia) and with some of these people you can really tell it's a calling rather than a job.

Hope the dog wardens are like that, must be an incredibly frustrating job though :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

they'll keep your identity anonymous.[/QUOTE]
    No they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The warden returned the dog to the abusive owners? I've never heard of that before. If that is case it makes a mockery of the system. Animal welfare is a joke in this country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement