Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cotton wick

Options
  • 08-10-2013 8:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

so do I just buy cotton things in a supermarket.. roll it up and wrap wire around it like usual?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

alternatively, what could I pick up in a normal sized small irish town on a wednesday morning while I waited for silica wick to make it's way to me in thursdays post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Just use a cotton pad and cut it.....those organic pads used for babies bums or whatever. I've used them before anyway.

Lot of people seem to be using those microcoil things on a bed of cotton now for drippers. I suppose its easy to just take out the cotton, dry burn the wire and stuff a little bit of new cotton in there.

yeah ive seen them. looks very fiddly, wont be trying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

When you push the cotton underneath as a bed you have to make the coild even smaller in diameter than a microcoil to stop the furthest side of the coil from burning red hot (e.g. wrap it around a thin needle) and it's been dubbed a nanocoil.

Hasn't done much to my vape performance-wise.

Some other guy's after coming up with a type of nanocoil where one end-hole of the coil is directly facing the airhole and the whole coil apart is surrounded with cotton (kind of like a carto) and it spews vapour out. Haven't gotten that one to work myself because the cotton wicks so fast it smothers the coil and I can't be bothered finding out how much is too little or too much.

• Advertisement

Well then, posted only to find "won't be trying that". Harumph.

ok
    bought cotton pads

im already unbelievably annoyed

What's happened?

Why? They always worked for me. Peel into 2 parts, cut a sliver, roll and put through the pre made coil.....

seems to be wicking too well, loads of bubbles around the coil.. making for a very rough vape

oh and im just wrapping around the cotton like I would silica, i dont have anything to make a coil with without it being the wicking material itself

i might just quit again in the morning :)

• Advertisement

on the plus side, the flavour's pretty good :)

Yeah, wrapping the cotton directly never worked well for me either. I used to just make the coil and thread the cotton through and I found that worked better.

You have NOTHING 1-2mm in diameter?
    A screw, mini screwdriver, tube inside a pen?

just my penis :(

got a better coil in there now.. used way less cotton than the other times

it's decent.. but still ungodly rough

just my penis :(

got a better coil in there now.. used way less cotton than the other times

it's decent.. but still ungodly rough

Knew there'd be a nanopenis joke.

The vape can be less smooth than silica at first but it dies down really quickly.

GO BUY A MINI SCREWDRIVER! And less-is-more with cotton, you just want it to slip in. Like a certain nanopenis.

http://instagram.com/p/fOLssChhjI/

not neccesarily related to vaping

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Digby, I got this little lot at a local sewing shop, 100% organic cotton. Its what loads on YouTube and ECF use for rewicking, perhaps not those exact brands but y'know, all the same innit?
    Cost just 6 for both.
    You boil the yarn before use then air dry.
    Have yet to find time to rewick but will update when I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

http://instagram.com/p/fOLssChhjI/

not neccesarily related to vaping

I used to be that thin, sob sob...on the brightside least my face is nicer now though, now that it's 'filled out'...haha!

I also used to be a beautiful brazilian woman :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Thought I'd add my 2 cents to this thread.

Playing around with cotton balls and my Igo W today. Ended up with dual coil at 1.1 ohms.

I am officialy sold on this!
    Great flavour and vapour and I like being able to just wip out the wick so easily to replace it. I'll post again when I've footled around a bit more. Might redo my Kayfun with it to see how that goes.

10186054956_e7e603682a_c.jpg

• Advertisement

Tried out cotton on the Kayfun...W.O.W. !

I can safely say it's the best all round vape thus far...and I didn't even change the coil, just took out the silica and threw in some cotton. It really does make a difference.

10186657463_fffda78128_c.jpg

10186628886_b1538e4a96_c.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Cotton FTW!

Microcoils and a cotton wick in a kayfun is the only way!

On a mechanical you need a really low res to get it cooking, or on a VV/VW just crank it up a little!

eeloe wrote: »
    Cotton FTW!

Microcoils and a cotton wick in a kayfun is the only way!

On a mechanical you need a really low res to get it cooking, or on a VV/VW just crank it up a little!

The coil in the kayfun is 1.7 ohm and working nicely on my Dingo. May well remake the coil a little lower to make it a tad more responsive.

Go for 1.4, bees knees territory.

grindle wrote: »
    Go for 1.4, bees knees territory.

I shall indeed head for this mythical territory in the morning!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Sub ohms on cotton aren't what I'd reccomend in a kayfun, the juice can only get up to the coil so quickly....and you get a burnt hit more often than not.

I've 3 on the go now, 1.1,1.3 and a 1.5.

1.1 if ya chain vape on a mech you can almost taste it getting ready to burn, which is a balls, especially with cotton, if it's burnt you'll never get rid of the taste.

eeloe wrote: »
    Sub ohms on cotton aren't what I'd reccomend in a kayfun, the juice can only get up to the coil so quickly....and you get a burnt hit more often than not.

I've 3 on the go now, 1.1,1.3 and a 1.5.

1.1 if ya chain vape on a mech you can almost taste it getting ready to burn, which is a balls, especially with cotton, if it's burnt you'll never get rid of the taste.

Thanks for the info. I'm not one for mad low ohms as a rule. Must say, I've been vaping the cotton setup pretty hard and haven't had even a hint of burning or dryness.

Smaller diameter coil, 1.5 ohms...lovely !

10223802093_4dc53c7504_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

Ionised wrote: »
    Smaller diameter coil, 1.5 ohms...lovely !

Savage!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

very good thread this - thanks to sir digsby for failing to quit once again - all hail nicotines addictive properties

micro coils and cotton does seem to be the business alright - grindles been going on and on for ages about cotton and finally it seems the rest of us are catching on :)

Advertisement