Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cotton wick

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

StickyIcky wrote: »
    very good thread this - thanks to sir digsby for failing to quit once again - all hail nicotines addictive properties

Digby's after quitting again, the dastard. Got rid of everything he owns and all. PBUH
    micro coils and cotton does seem to be the business alright - grindles been going on and on for ages about cotton and finally it seems the rest of us are catching on :)

Green Hornet brought cotton here back in the heady "You can rebuild the Vivi Nova?!?" days.
    I will of course take full credit for my constant rehashing of his discovery of somebody else's interpretation of another person's wicking method. *bow*

One thing I'll say is most microcoils I'm seeing UK/Irish people build are too large to be called microcoils, they're more...eh...macrocoils?
    The way Todd built it confused everyone, his microcoil was the normal 2-3mm in diameter whereas all the yanks have them at 1mm-1.5mm.
    Then again, the Yanks have different priorities with their metre-wide airholes, 0.006mg juices and 0.02ohm builds.

Either way, it all vapes great and this post went on for too long and my head is sore. Gorgeous whiskey ≠ less hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Jaysus Grindle, that is some blast from the past! What always put me off the cotton was the rankness of how it looked after a couple of days.

It worked pretty well in the Clockworks RDA as well. I wouldn't chance it in anything that didn't have a clear tank though. A big lungful of burnt cotton wouldn't be the best thing ever inhaled I'd say.

Yeah, looks like some kind of cancer-snot if you leave it in for too long - have some feeding the top half of my RSST's wick so we can visualise cancer-snot:

80K1HU8.jpg

Never really had a problem with burning in an RDA...maybe once or twice when starting but it's such a different taste that you'd get it on the inhale so it doesn't get as far as the lungs, just nyocky in my mouth.
    After a while you can taste the juice vanishing.

I whipped out the wick from the coil in the spheroid and whacked in a bit of rolled cotton. I pushed the 2 small tails up to touch the sera wool and its vaping like an absolute train!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Been rebuilding coils for my Mini Protank II tonight, tried to hit 1.8 -2.0 Ohm using 0.25mm Kanthal and depending on the quantity of wraps was hitting 1.7-1.9 Ohm....not too bad for my first attempt.

Grabbed some cotton buds from the bathroom and fed a bit through the coil, got some juice,then I set my twist to approx 3.5v and took a hit.......a bit harsh and I think I could taste the cotton.

It seems to get smoother after a few minutes so I'll bring my rebuild heads to work tomorrow and give them a days use.

Would I be better off getting some new cotton and boiling it? Or is that first few harsh hits normal?

When I took the head apart to have a look it didn't look burnt or anything. Otherwise it fairly chucking out the vapor so I reckon I'm on the right track.

• Advertisement

Fire the coil with the wick wet and the tank taken off so you can have a look at it - if there's nothing glowing you're good!

Fresh coils with thicker wire can be a bit of an eye-opener, especially microcoils.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

grindle wrote: »
    Fire the coil with the wick wet and the tank taken off so you can have a look at it - if there's nothing glowing you're good!

Fresh coils with thicker wire can be a bit of an eye-opener, especially microcoils.

Yeah, I did that alright, no glowing. Seems be a bit smoother now, tomorrow should be interesting. Loving how cheap rebuilding coils is so I stick it out until I get it right.

Made a nice coil around a screwdriver, attached to the spheroid, glowed the coils and rolled a little bit of cotton pad.

Vaping like a champ on 0mg Pchela's Poison.....I'm not a real man at all......ha ha. I'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Tried cotton in an evod coil tonight (after a bottle of wine....:D)took the old sad burnt coil out and put in some cotton....first....yuch...taste of cotton, then it settled down and not so bad at all....have vaped it for about two hours and think it is developing a burnt taste.....probably way more suited to drippers but will give it a try again tomorrow......

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

I have to say that my cotton wick didn't last as long as my silica one the times I've tried them.

Also make sure you boil the cotton first and let it air dry before using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I have to say that my cotton wick didn't last as long as my silica one the times I've tried them.

Also make sure you boil the cotton first and let it air dry before using it.

Thanks Sticky, boiling made a huge difference to the taste, there appears to be more vapour with the cotton and not worried about how long it lasts as it is so easy to slip a new piece into the coil on the minipro tank, got a days heavy vaping out of this wick so far and been partying so it was heavy vaping :D no sign of it it wear out yet, will be well happy if it does me tonight as well...

Advertisement