Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

max amount you can put on AIB visa debit?

Options
  • 08-10-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hi all looking to use my visa debit for a tranaction of 5000€ tomorrow. is this possible or is there a max amount you can use a visa card for? Thanks. If not, what is the best way of paying? I dont want to pay cash, and I don't have a cheque book?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Hi all looking to use my visa debit for a tranaction of 5000€ tomorrow. is this possible or is there a max amount you can use a visa card for? Thanks. If not, what is the best way of paying? I dont want to pay cash, and I don't have a cheque book?

I would have thought that with it being basically the card you use for a current account, it just means you need to have €5k in your account for it to be authorized? I don't know if there being a max limit on using the card, just that there be enough in your account?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I know their Laser card had a 1500 limit per transaction, but that data point is a few years old (it may have changed since, and now that they no longer issue Laser it may be quite different).

OP have you called them? The telephone banking folks would probably know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I used mine earlier this year to try and pay 4.5k for something and it wouldn't allow it. Had to pay 2.5k with it and then another 2k the next day.

Its a pain in the ass to be honest. I can go into a branch and withdraw the money on the spot so why I cant do the same on my debit card is beyond me (I realize its a card fraud protection measure but still)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

They only allow €1,500 a day to be used on the card. Which is ridiculous when you are trying to buy long distance flights or even paying a large group of bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

It's 2500 a day as far as I'm aware. For larger amounts you can get a bank draft, but they are quite expensive (I think it's 3.50 € or something like that) or you can ask if you can do a bank transfer instead, then 5000 would be OK.

• Advertisement

miezekatze wrote: »
    It's 2500 a day as far as I'm aware. .

its absolutely 2500 a day and not 1500 as the last poster said. I was able to do 2500 earlier this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have phoned AIB twice and both times said its €1,500 max per transaction and €2,500 per day in transactions

hfallada wrote: »
    I have phoned AIB twice and both times said its €1,500 max per transaction and €2,500 per day in transactions

well ive done it so I know it can be done.

Advertisement