Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living abroad

Options
  • 08-10-2013 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Next summer, I will be travelling to Sussex in the UK. I'll be spending a month at my uncle's house. The reason I'm going is because I want to get a taster of what living abroad feels like. I am probably going to study astrophysics in Amsterdam when I leave secondary school so I want to make sure I'll stick it. I was just wondering what could I do to make the time I spend there worthwhile? My uncle will only be there in the mornings and evenings so I will have to do something productive during the day. I don't have a clue what to do! :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Learn Python. I know a guy who learnt Python for building Astrophysical models and ended up getting a job as a Python developer for Red Hat.

Nothing can prepare you for living abroad. Some people get home sick, some dont. I did.

Learn how to be on your own. Go to the cinema on your own, go to the pub on your own. Learn how to meet people.

90% of Amsterdammers speak english but it'd be worth your time to start learning Dutch.

Learn to cook stuff you like from raw ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Where in Sussex?

You can get the train to London and go to the museums. You'd probably love the science museum, and the British museum too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

syklops wrote: »

90% of Amsterdammers speak english but it'd be worth your time to start learning Dutch.

Learn to cook stuff you like from raw ingredients.

Best advice for Amsterdam is to learn how to deep-fry those raw ingredients.

Advertisement