Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oct 22 - Apple iPad event

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

http://allthingsd.com/20131008/apple-will-hold-fall-ipad-event-on-october-22/

No official announcement yet but AllThingsD are usually pretty reliable.

Was originally suppose to be October 15th no? I think it was a reputable source for that too. I was expecting to see invitations had been sent out today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

http://allthingsd.com/20131008/apple-will-hold-fall-ipad-event-on-october-22/

No official announcement yet but AllThingsD are usually pretty reliable.

Have to say, I really like the redesigned 9" iPad judging by the leaks. A physically smaller and lighter device, with the same size screen (and assume battery) will be a nice addition.

Hoping the Apple TV will have a significant focus during the event. With the increase in the Apps available for it, along with new competition from Google with Chromecast, I think its time enough to take it out of "hobby" stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

DubDJ wrote: »
    Was originally suppose to be October 15th no? I think it was a reputable source for that too. I was expecting to see invitations had been sent out today.

I don't recall seeing any source for the Oct 15 rumour. I think it was just speculation based on the fact that we knew it was happening in October, most likely on a Tuesday. With the recently announced Q4 earnings call on the 28th, the 22nd was a more likely date anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

More excited about this than the 5S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Dman001 wrote: »
    Hoping the Apple TV will have a significant focus during the event. With the increase in the Apps available for it, along with new competition from Google with Chromecast, I think its time enough to take it out of "hobby" stage.

Chromecast is terrible compared to appleTV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The ATV may see a small refresh, but I think Apple will be saving any major announcments for a dedicated TV event next year or whenever it's ready.

I don't think it will see a refresh at all.

as you say they're saving the elusive 'apple tv' for its own event. what else can they do to the hockey puck? it's already at 1080p (which majority of people have now). Don't see the point of them going to 4k just yet which is the only thing that could warrant a small refresh.

the current box is more than capable of running iOS apps too so unless they limit that to a new refreshed box then possible.

who knows though it is apple after all, somewhat predictable, always delight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I don't think it will see a refresh at all.

as you say they're saving the elusive 'apple tv' for its own event. what else can they do to the hockey puck? it's already at 1080p (which majority of people have now). Don't see the point of them going to 4k just yet which is the only thing that could warrant a small refresh.

the current box is more than capable of running iOS apps too so unless they limit that to a new refreshed box then possible.

who knows though it is apple after all, somewhat predictable, always delight.

they could make it a proper dnla client so I don't have to use the crappy native client on my samsung tv..
    That would really make my day.

Chromecast is terrible compared to appleTV.
    For a Beta product, priced at $35, it's actually quite a decent device. The fact it supports Android, iOS, Windows and Mac, along with the accessibility of the SDK by 3rd Party developers, it can potentially hit the Apple TV and Roku hard, given its tiny price also.

As for the Apple TV, the hardware is fine and wouldn't expect anything more, maybe throw in one of those A7 chips. It's the software I would like to see improved, and opened up to developers.

Chromecast-9525.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

^^ ever heard of resizing? ;)

Blazer wrote: »
    ^^ ever heard of resizing? ;)

Looks fine on my 27" iMac ;)

Not sure what you're getting at Creamy Goodness. While it may only appeal to the Nerd fanbase at the moment, it has huge potential to be a strong product. Would like to hear your thoughts on it, other than the fact it is "terrible".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I wonder will the mini get a retina screen?
    Having an ipad 2 and a nexus 7 I must say that the mini really seems to have hit a sweet spot in screen size.
    Maybe I'm just used to the aspect ration of the ipad 2 but the nexus 7 feels too narrow anytime I use it.

Not sure what you're getting at Creamy Goodness. While it may only appeal to the Nerd fanbase at the moment, it has huge potential to be a strong product. Would like to hear your thoughts on it, other than the fact it is "terrible".

I can't buy one here yet, google hardware is difficult to buy here unless you use uk address etc and sell your first unborn child.

The chrome cast site leads you to believe its just this little dongle and they negate the fact that you need a giant plug for it (well aware you can power from USB but my full hd TV doesn't have USB on the back).

It's a decent little dongle I'll give it that, but sucks that I can't easily get my hands on one let alone the joe soap public.

Any who's back on topic. I'll buy buying one of these new iPads. Which one will come down to have good the mini is.

While Amazon have started shipping the device internationally, there is nothing to say that Google won't sell these through the likes of PC World and Argos - a la the Nexus 7 and Chromebooks. But given the harsh availability of the Nexus 4, it's a fair argument though.

As for the power supply, meh at the end of the day the Apple TV is still a physically bigger device that requires a plug. Don't see why it would be an issue with the Chromecast.

On topic, I wouldn't be overly surprised if the supply issues were true with the iPad Mini, and they'll be no Retina Mini this year. But it'll be awesome to see the Mini run iOS7 on a high res screen, think it'll be much neater and cleaner looking than the regular iPad's serving.

While Amazon have started shipping the device internationally, there is nothing to say that Google won't sell these through the likes of PC World and Argos - a la the Nexus 7 and Chromebooks. But given the harsh availability of the Nexus 4, it's a fair argument though.

Chromecast was announced in July, it's now October and can't be gotten over here. Google suck at selling their best stuff, like the nexus as you've said.
    As for the power supply, meh at the end of the day the Apple TV is still a physically bigger device that requires a plug. Don't see why it would be an issue with the Chromecast.

yes but the appletv does so much more, itunes rental, watch my movies in the cloud, airplay my mac, listen to my music in the cloud, crunchyroll, podcasts, apple events, sky news etc. etc.

also apple doesn't hide the fact that this thing lives under your tv, google advertise the chrome cast as something you just plug into a hdmi port. it's sort of misleading. that's the problem i have with it more than 'it has a power plug'.
    On topic, I wouldn't be overly surprised if the supply issues were true with the iPad Mini, and they'll be no Retina Mini this year. But it'll be awesome to see the Mini run iOS7 on a high res screen, think it'll be much neater and cleaner looking than the regular iPad's serving.

I really think the iPad mini has to go out with a retina this year, it was a shock when it didn't have one last year, and now with the new nexus 7 actually being sold (and in irish retailers to boot :pac:) the need for retina is really apparent.

Apple's huge ecosystem is a massive selling point for the Apple TV, something they have over Chromecast and why I'm tempted to buy one. Between my Irish and US account, I've invested quite a bit in content from iTunes. The fact all my purchases tie in so neatly and is fed to the Apple TV so easily is a major plus. But the Chromecast can pull content to the TV from the Chrome browser, which in itself can be much more useful in some ways. There are merits to both devices, why I think Apple may have a battle on its hands.

I really think, to be honest, Apple didn't even bother to source Retina screens for their iPad Mini last year - it was always a feature that would have been added down the line. They knew they had a nifty device last year, with a solid pricing structure, with or without the Retina display people were going to nab the Mini during the Christmas period. I'm one of those who sees the screen resolution as a major upgrade factor, so if I did purchase a Mini last year, I would jump at the chance to upgrade to higher res device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I can't buy one here yet, google hardware is difficult to buy here unless you use uk address etc and sell your first unborn child.

The chrome cast site leads you to believe its just this little dongle and they negate the fact that you need a giant plug for it (well aware you can power from USB but my full hd TV doesn't have USB on the back).

It's a decent little dongle I'll give it that, but sucks that I can't easily get my hands on one let alone the joe soap public.
    I ordered two Chromecast devices for 76 euro (38 each) on Amazon.com yesterday shipping to Ireland and ordered from Amazon not some third party reseller.

As for the power if your TV has HDMI 1.4 (which all new TV's have) then it powers itself. If you have HDMI 1.3 or an older TV then you need the plug.

On topic
    I was disappointed last year with the iPad mini screen so got a Nexus 7. Lost that on holidays about 2 weeks ago so this timing is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Blazer wrote: »
    they could make it a proper dnla client so I don't have to use the crappy native client on my samsung tv..
    That would really make my day.

Do you mean like samsung connectivity to wifi? im currently working my way through breaking bad and the quality on my samsung tv using netflix can be very poor at times and when i check something on my phone goes very slow, but when i watch it on PS3 i get 720p all day long.

Anyway,
    i would say expect a ipad mini with retina display plus upgraded chip and all the usual stuff the upgrade and probably fingerprint rec. Also probably a new ipad, its near enough a year since the last one came out so its right on time for a new one.

• Advertisement

New full sized iPad will likely adopt the same sort of format as the iPad mini with the skinny bezel. Looking forward to picking that up.

*warms up credit card*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Zcott wrote: »
    New full sized iPad will likely adopt the same sort of format as the iPad mini with the skinny bezel. Looking forward to picking that up.

*warms up credit card*

I was looking at the mini originally but liked the extra screen space on the normal ipad, the only thing that put me off was its weight.

But the fact the ipad 5 will hopefully be lighter and more nimble along with the skinny bezel means I will be going for that, can't wait!

I have a feeling the Mini will disappoint. Underpowered with a Retina screen, or a price increase with potential heat/weight issues.

Herrick wrote: »
    I was looking at the mini originally but liked the extra screen space on the normal ipad, the only thing that put me off was its weight.

But the fact the ipad 5 will hopefully be lighter and more nimble along with the skinny bezel means I will be going for that, can't wait!

Even the full size iPad isn't exactly heavy...;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

I know but it weighs after a bit of reading for me :) Lighter the better ;)

I have a feeling the Mini will disappoint. Underpowered with a Retina screen, or a price increase with potential heat/weight issues.

The iPad 4 was a rush out the door job as they realised they ****ed up big time with the iPad 3. Surely I'd hope apple will have learned their lesson
    Try reading in bed with the iPad 3 or 4 for more than 10 minutes ;). Compared to the iPad 2 the iPad 3 feels like a sack of spuds.

The iPad 4 was a rush out the door job as they realised they ****ed up big time with the iPad 3. Surely I'd hope apple will have learned their lesson

Try reading in bed with the iPad 3 or 4 for more than 10 minutes ;). Compared to the iPad 2 the iPad 3 feels like a sack of spuds.

You're holding it wrong ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Sold my iPad 3 last week ahead of the new iPad Mini which I expect will come with a Retina Display, Touch ID & the A7 chip but I am also worried that the £269 (UK site) price tag might take a jump to £309.

It's extremely unlikely the Mini will have Touch ID and the A7. We'll be doing well with the A6 and a Retina screen without the battery life dropping to nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

It's extremely unlikely the Mini will have Touch ID and the A7. We'll be doing well with the A6 and a Retina screen without the battery life dropping to nothing.

There should be an option to have a premium iPad mini for more money.

Advertisement