Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oct 22 - Apple iPad event

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

7upfree wrote: »
    In all fairness, when you blow something up to that size it will be noticeable. To the majority of people it isn't. It's up there with watching HD vs SD on a 42" display while sitting 15 feet away.

Sorry but on a 42" display there is a major difference with HD as well even from a distance.

Anyhow, you can argue that all day, fact is that better screens are just simply, well better, so why argue over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

7upfree wrote: »
    In all fairness, when you blow something up to that size it will be noticeable. To the majority of people it isn't. It's up there with watching HD vs SD on a 42" display while sitting 15 feet away.

Whilst sometimes people do get bogged down in meaningless specs.. the difference between a retina and no retina display on apple devices is hugely noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Can't believe the difference between retina and non retina is actually being debated here. Night and day...

on the topic of weight I did a quick calculation.

the iPad 2 was the lightest full sized iPad released. the iPad air is 20% lighter than that :pac: <<- This is huge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Sold my iPad 3 last week ahead of the new iPad Mini which I expect will come with a Retina Display, Touch ID & the A7 chip but I am also worried that the £269 (UK site) price tag might take a jump to £309.

I was pretty close with specs & pricing. No Touch ID and the price went to £319. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Can't believe the difference between retina and non retina is actually being debated here. Night and day...

I've a retina iPad. I notice the difference. The retina iPad mini is going to be less noticeably different, simply because it's already a denser resolution to begin with. Since no-one here has yet seen a retina iPad mini, it's all supposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Godzookie

I really want an iPad mini retina, but I don't know why

I'm taking the leap and buying my first iPad at launch.

Having followed previous iPad launches, I assume that availability is not an issue and I could easily pick one up in the likes of CompuB or PC world?

Also, which is more popular White or Black?

I notice that most promo shots from Apple are showing the white version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭siobhanoh

augusta24 wrote: »
    Was there always such a massive difference in price between the us and Irish stores?! I've never noticed it before but I'm pretty gobsmacked by it now

Just worked it out that the 32gb iPad Air will work out at approximately €470 if bought in the US. Lucky for me I have a friend who lives in NY who will be home in time for Xmas presents.

Shame I couldn't wait that long for my iPhone5s and could save almost €200!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mr.S wrote: »
    :eek:

I can't believe you don't notice a distance between SD and HD on a 42" (no matter how far away you are!)

(let alone not noticing Retina screens)

And I can't believe how much difference you see in a retina screen, because I don't see it, never have. And I look for ANY excuse to update, but that wasn't it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

siobhanoh wrote: »
    Just worked it out that the 32gb iPad Air will work out at approximately €470 if bought in the US. Lucky for me I have a friend who lives in NY who will be home in time for Xmas presents.

Shame I couldn't wait that long for my iPhone5s and could save almost €200!

Don't forget to add 23% for Customs at the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

alastair wrote: »
    I've a retina iPad. I notice the difference. The retina iPad mini is going to be less noticeably different, simply because it's already a denser resolution to begin with. Since no-one here has yet seen a retina iPad mini, it's all supposition.
    yes you will, the pixel density on the iPad mini retina is 326 pixels per inch the current mini is 163 pixels per inch, this change will be huge, it's double the pixels in the same surface area.

this is going to be like moving from the 3GS to the 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

yes you will, the pixel density on the iPad mini retina is 326 pixels per inch the current mini is 163 pixels per inch, this change will be huge, it's double the pixels in the same surface area.

this is going to be like moving from the 3GS to the 4.

True, but most people use the iPhone closer up than tablets. The PPI on the iPad mini was higher than the PPI on the full sized iPad 2, so the shift to retina is going to be less noticable to many - there's diminishing returns on the perceived difference, the higher the resolution goes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

whiterebel wrote: »
    Don't forget to add 23% for Customs at the airport.
    Not if you hide the receipt :P

Plan on going to the States in the new Year, might pick up an iPad on the cheap (compared to here anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Overheal wrote: »
    have you consulted an optician? Theres a clear difference. I can spot spot retina just by looking at the battery percentage.

ipad-3-vs-ipad-2-ips-screens-640x353.jpg
    mail-icon-ipad-2-vs-new-ipad-screen.jpg
    ipad-3-retina-display.jpg&w=600&h=346&ei=40VnUpDMEs-EkQfE8YHABA&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:14,s:0,i:123&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=169&tbnw=296&start=0&ndsp=34&tx=232&ty=75
    iPad-3-retina-display-close-up.jpg

Its even worse if you look at a 3GS or a 3rd gen iTouch. Really distracting when you watch netflix

My eyes are perfect. I suspect the opposite, that people with bad eyesight can tell. Or that there is a confirmation bias. Who knows. When I bought the first iPad with retina very few people went WOW!

My eyes are perfect. I suspect the opposite, that people with bad eyesight can tell. Or that there is a confirmation bias. Who knows. When I bought the first iPad with retina very few people went WOW!

It's bit like not noticing clean toilets in a restaurant/bar but you will notice if they are smelly or dirty.

I think if you went back to a non retina display that you would definitely notice the difference then.

Why is it with retina displays that people all of a sudden become expert on what OTHERS should see? I really wonder if people are afraid that having spent the money they are afraid that there isn't actually that much difference? My eyesight is better than 20/20 before anyone suggests opticians again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Why is it with retina displays that people all of a sudden become expert on what OTHERS should see? I really wonder if people are afraid that having spent the money they are afraid that there isn't actually that much difference? My eyesight is better than 20/20 before anyone suggests opticians again

That goes both ways. People who have a Retina display want to believe the difference is massive and the money was well spent. People with a non-Retina want believe there's not much difference and there's no need to upgrade. People justify what they buy as much as what they don't buy.

Personally I've always noticed the difference but chose to get an iPad 2 shortly after the release of the iPad 3 because I didn't think Retina was worth the extra weight and thickness. Up until iOS 6 I felt the same way, but iOS 7 is clearly designed for Retina displays making the argument for going Retina much stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

And a lot of prople don't give a gnats twat whether Retina or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

So much fail.

Yeah the technology and the reviews and the normal people that see the not slight but glaringly obvious difference are making it all up.

Its not what others should see, its a fact.

Can you see a difference between VHS and Bluray or is that made up as well?

mdwexford wrote: »
    So much fail.

Yeah the technology and the reviews and the normal people that see the not slight but glaringly obvious difference are making it all up.

Ah ffs......that's it, I'm outta here.

Betamax for the win!

• Advertisement

So much fail.

Thank you for proving my point. No one needs Specsavers to see you talking out your arse.

Says the guy who can't see a difference in a retina screen.

You are the one stating nonsense opinions, I'm stating a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

The difference between Retina & Non-Retina is very obvious.

As an iPhone 4S user I bought a refurb iPad 2 to go alongside it and instantly found it difficult to accept the non-Retina display and returned it & bought the iPad 3 instead.

If you haven't been using a Retina screen all along then maybe I could understand how you don't see much of a difference but to me and anyone who has an iPhone 4 or newer, it's the difference between night & day.

Says the guy who can't see a difference in a retina screen.

You are the one stating nonsense opinions, I'm stating a fact.

No, you're stating your opinion, and what you believe should be mine. Now talk to yourself, I'm out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

And the bitching has begun! Sigh :'(

No, you're stating your opinion, and what you believe should be mine. Now talk to yourself, I'm out.

How am I stating an opinion.

So it's not a fact that a retina screen is much higher resolution and looks better than its predecessor?

I don't care whether you see a difference or your eyes or brain can't comprehend a difference. Either way there is a huge difference.

I know it's tough when you haven't a clue what you're talking about but give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

So with pages and numbers free with new device purchases does this mean if I buy an iPad Air and download the apps for free will I then be able to download them onto my iPhone for free as well after?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Mr.S wrote: »
    :eek:

I can't believe you don't notice a distance between SD and HD on a 42" (no matter how far away you are!)

(let alone not noticing Retina screens)

Depending on the HD content it can be negligible at times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Herrick wrote: »
    So with pages and numbers free with new device purchases does this mean if I buy an iPad Air and download the apps for free will I then be able to download them onto my iPhone for free as well after?

Yes. That's how it works on the Mac anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement