Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oct 22 - Apple iPad event

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

mdwexford wrote: »
    Says the guy who can't see a difference in a retina screen.

You are the one stating nonsense opinions, I'm stating a fact.

No. My original point was some people see the difference, some don't. I don't. Since I am me I can't be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jesus start a retina thread already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭emo72

any new ipod touches lads? sorry i didnt read the thread, and the kids are clambering all over me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Let's have civility here or leave the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

No. My original point was some people see the difference, some don't. I don't. Since I am me I can't be wrong.

Anyone who doesn't has sight issues.

That's unfortunate for you, my condolences.

I'm done with this now as there is no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

mdwexford wrote: »
    Anyone who doesn't has sight issues.

That's unfortunate for you, my condolences.

I'm done with this now as there is no point.

Not actually anything to do with sight issues. It's a big deal for some. For there, it, well, isn't.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Not if you hide the receipt :P

Plan on going to the States in the new Year, might pick up an iPad on the cheap (compared to here anyway).

Always some do-gooder brings this up.

Just for info, you're allowed to bring goods worth €430 in (approx $590) so I think you'l be fine for a 32gb wifi anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Not sure whether to get an iPad mini or Retina mini. Would you say there's a difference between a Retina display and non-Retina display?

Joking of course ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,919 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

whiterebel wrote: »
    Why is it with retina displays that people all of a sudden become expert on what OTHERS should see? I really wonder if people are afraid that having spent the money they are afraid that there isn't actually that much difference? My eyesight is better than 20/20 before anyone suggests opticians again
    I've have not bought nor do I plan to buy an iPad. So that theory is out.

It's just something you notice when you've been working across multiple devices having multiple resolutions. The Acer A200: terrible resolution for the screen provided. The average Aspire laptop, also ghastly. A Sony Vaio has a very crisp screen, they pack a full HD screen into a 13" panel, that detail is noticeable. Same thing between the original surface RT and the Surface 2/Pro/Pro2 which are all 1080p.

Is Retina going to reimagine your world if you just do email and web browsing, no, but if you're especially one to enjoy movies and video its a no brainer, and its something you do notice. The 15 feet argument doesnt pass the mustard here, the iPad is less than 15" away on average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Could you all just shut up about the difference between retina and non-retina please!!! :mad:

This is a thread about Apple's new products announced this week.

tallpaul wrote: »
    Could you all just shut up about the difference between retina and non-retina please!!! :mad:

This is a thread about Apple's new products announced this week.

Exactly, and one of them, the iPad mini, has a new retina display!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭siobhanoh

I noticed in the key note they said the free apps are available with thr purchase of any new iOS device.

Can I presume that includes the new iPhone5s that I have ordered? And then I can download them onto my 3rd Gen iPad?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

siobhanoh wrote: »
    I noticed in the key note they said the free apps are available with thr purchase of any new iOS device.

Can I presume that includes the new iPhone5s that I have ordered? And then I can download them onto my 3rd Gen iPad?
    Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Yes.

I went to the app store on my iPad earlier to see if I could get imovie for free but it came up as a fiver or something like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I went to the app store on my iPad earlier to see if I could get imovie for free but it came up as a fiver or something like that.

Look in your purchase history. If iMovie has been associated with your Apple ID via a recently purchased device, it should appear there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Look in your purchase history. If iMovie has been associated with your Apple ID via a recently purchased device, it should appear there.

I haven't got it on any other device though, I thought it was just free on iPad! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Probably only for devices registered since the keynote.

I haven't got it on any other device though, I thought it was just free on iPad! :o

Only on new IOS devices.

Quite simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Go to the App Store, you should be able to download it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

miralize wrote: »
    He can - but he wants it for free. :)

miralize wrote: »

THis not true.

If I go to the App store now, with my old 4s I will have to pay for it.

It's only free for new iOS devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I thought you had a new one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The way it works for the apps are as follows;

You buy a new iOS device or a Mac after a certain date, (think it could of been September 1st 2013) and once you have it set up and signed in with your Apple ID, you can go to the App Store and download the iOS or OS X version depending on what device you own.

These apps are now linked to your account/Apple ID and can be downloaded onto any device that uses the same Apple ID free of charge.

So if you have an old device you bought in the past few years the apps can be downloaded onto them as long as you've purchased a new one after a certain date which Apple mentioned.

If you qualify under the above and still can't download the apps for free then get in contact with Apple and they'll sort it for you. It is a known issue that some users aren't prompted with the free download.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I have an iPad2, tell me why I need the new iPad Air please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

FearDark wrote: »

Your life will be immeasurably enhanced that's the why :p

http://www.apple.com/ie/ipad-air/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Only you can answer that. The new one is thinner, lighter and looks a lot better (well in my opinion). Internal hardware is much better so it'll be quicker and should handle future updates a lot better (some people already find the iPad 2 a pain to use on ios7). The new has a retina display as well. If any of that is worth 500 quid to you is another story. Personally, I think its a good upgrade. And anyone who doesn't spend the extra 90 quid and buys a new iPad 2 is a fool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Only you can answer that. The new one is thinner, lighter and looks a lot better (well in my opinion). Internal hardware is much better so it'll be quicker and should handle future updates a lot better (some people already find the iPad 2 a pain to use on ios7). The new has a retina display as well. If any of that is worth 500 quid to you is another story. Personally, I think its a good upgrade. And anyone who doesn't spend the extra 90 quid and buys a new iPad 2 is a fool.

I do find ios7 to be a little sluggish on it tbh, I shouldn't have upgraded to it. I just saw the price of 489 euros for 16gb wifi, for me having already got the iPad2 it's probably not worth that much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

murpho999 wrote: »
    Always some do-gooder brings this up.

Just for info, you're allowed to bring goods worth €430 in (approx $590) so I think you'l be fine for a 32gb wifi anyway!

What's with the dogooder crack? You should also point out that if you get caught coming through customs with more than €430 worth of goods, you pay VAT on the whole lot, not just the one item.
    Customs are getting much tougher checking inbound baggage these days, so there is no point in complaining if you have to pay 23% extra on top. It doesn't look quite the bargain then.

Advertisement