Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oct 22 - Apple iPad event

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Aodhagan wrote: »
    There should be an option to have a premium iPad mini for more money.

Unfortunately, a retina iPad mini would have very poor battery life. That's the whole issue behind the will-they-won't-they over the retina mini, and it'd hardly be a premium device if it got 4 hours battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

The iPad 4 was a rush out the door job as they realised they ****ed up big time with the iPad 3.

How?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Zcott wrote: »
    Unfortunately, a retina iPad mini would have very poor battery life. That's the whole issue behind the will-they-won't-they over the retina mini, and it'd hardly be a premium device if it got 4 hours battery.

The Mini 2 is going to be retina though. It was the biggest (if only) complaint about the original Mini. Apple would have a tough time selling the same thing with an updated processor with the same screen when the competitor has a HD display now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's Retina or bust. I think Apple know this. The question is whether they were planning for Retina when they designed and priced the original Mini. If not then those extra pixels will come at a price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

It's Retina or bust. I think Apple know this. The question is whether they were planning for Retina when they designed and priced the original Mini. If not then those extra pixels will come at a price.
    I reckon it was, Screen Resolution was a major focal point in Tablets when the Mini was released. I'm sure Apple realised that a Retina display was a natural progression for the product, sooner rather than later.

Saying that, I wouldn't be overly surprised with a minimal upgrade this year with a bump with the CPU and possibly a new colour thrown into the mix.

Regarding the iPad 3rd Gen, I wasn't aware that Apple had f**ked it up?? Been using one the last 10 months without a single issue. I've used a 2nd Gen and 4th Gen iPad with no dramatic difference. I see the iPad 3 as being a Retina version of the iPad 2 really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

mdwexford wrote: »
    How?
    it's heavier and bulkier to compensate for the power drain of the retina screen. the screen technology is also now out of date and the one in the iPad3 actually draws more power.

also this may be an issue with iOS 7 but it runs like an ass pulling a cart up a 90 degree incline.

this shouldn't be the case with a device that's 14 months old.

also if they didn't **** it up why did they completely replace it's internals 6 months after release?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

it's heavier and bulkier to compensate for the power drain of the retina screen. the screen technology is also now out of date and the one in the iPad3 actually draws more power.

also this may be an issue with iOS 7 but it runs like an ass pulling a cart up a 90 degree incline.

also if they didn't **** it up why did they completely replace it's internals 6 months after release?

Come on now there's not that much of a weight difference. I use mine with ease, also for night time reading and I don't find it too heavy. I also have a rear shell case and Smart Cover on it.

Also, I've mine since launch day and have iOS 7 since release and it's running perfectly, just as good as my iPhone 5. A little slower opening apps, by about quarter of a second or so.

I've typed this post out with it and have no keyboard delay or any difficulty. It runs a lot of huge games which are heavy on graphics with ease too.

Only negative thing I can really say about it is the fact it takes so long to charge. Also I'd love to have the lightning connector on it now, it's so much more secure for keeping the cable attached compared to the 30 pin connector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Can't say I noticed a huge difference in weight between the 2 and the 3, but it certainly isn't a light device. You'll feel it in your hand after a while of reading. Never knew about the screen however.

I find iOS7 buggy alright but no more so than the iPad 4. Comparing the two devices, I found the bugs and lag in the same places.

I myself thought they released the iPad 4 so soon to push the adoption of the Lightning, for the holiday sales. I haven't noticed any problems with the device to warrant such a quick update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

also wasn't the gpu too underpowered for the display?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I've got hands on experience with a Chromecast. It's not the same as an AppleTV really in that it doesn't have support for local content beyond streaming a Chrome tab to it. That said, it does a great job of being instructed to play content from Google Play, Netflix et al.

My iPad's Netflix app even picked it up and let me cast a movie to it.

One thing to note is that the latest AppleTV update does something similar to spare device battery. If you play iTunes content from an iPad, it'll stream from iCloud instead. I also vaguely remember seeing that the Netflix app will do the same thing in their release notes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

The iPad 4 is heavier than the iPad 3.
    Is the screen not the same in both?

Mine runs perfecly smooth on ios 7.

To have all their products using lightning cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Zingabee

I'm hoping to buy an ipad in the not too distant future and I'm basically wondering if the price of iPads currently in the market will drop if a new ipad is launched. Regardless of what comes on stream on October 22nd I'll be buying the same ipad just want to know will it work out cheaper ????

They'll discontinue the iPad 4 and there'll be a lot of them on the market, so you should be able to pick up one for fairly cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Never mind the iPads. What's the new Mac Pro gonna cost me?

alastair wrote: »

Everything you have and some more.

The iPad 4 is heavier than the iPad 3.
    Is the screen not the same in both?

they're the same weight according to apple anyways.

http://www.apple.com/ie/ipad/specs/ (iPad 4)
    http://support.apple.com/kb/SP647 (iPad 3).

as for are they the same screens, answer is nope. check point 5 http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad+4+Wi-Fi+Teardown/11462/1 iPad 3 - samsung, iPad 4 LG. Whilst they may be the same resolution and physical size that's where the similarities end.
    Mine runs perfectly smooth on ios 7.
    you must be one of the lucky ones, my struggles when doing the simplest of tasks like playing a non-taxing game.
    To have all their products using lightning cables?
    iPhone 4S still uses the 30pin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

9to5Mac: New Mini Could be Thicker to Fit Retina Display

Pretty much as expected. I can live with an extra 0.3mm. I’m more concerned about the weight, heat and battery life implications. With the iPad 5 going lighter, thinner, narrower and with possibly improved battery life, I don’t think the Mini will be quite as appealing as it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

You're probably going to need to make a deal with Satan.

banquo wrote: »
    You're probably going to need to make a deal with Satan.

I've already done that - the proceeds are ready and waiting.

I've already done that - the proceeds are ready and waiting.

You'll probably need one of each limb too.

I think the rumours are for around $5000.

• Advertisement

Zcott wrote: »
    You'll probably need one of each limb too.

I think the rumours are for around $5000.

I'd be surprised if the base model doesn't come in well below that. I've a (replace the ailing computer quick!) fund that would cover the worst case scenario, but I'm hoping it'll cover peripherals too.

Event is now confirmed for October 22nd. Tag line is "We still have a lot to cover".

oct_22_2013_invite.jpg

so loving the hidden image. the leaves falling signify the fall event, but if you turn them so they are horizontal they look like eye silhouettes. eye silhouettes == retina iPad mini.

i'm of course ripping the piss out of people whom try to decipher messages from invites in case the sarcasm wasn't read into.

Maybe some new hardware keyboard covers for iPad, like the Surface?

I really wouldn't read too much into the tagline. It's a very iPad focused event so thinking it'll be focused around covers would be a little mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

DubDJ wrote: »
    I really wouldn't read too much into the tagline. It's a very iPad focused event so thinking it'll be focused around covers would be a little mad.

I think Apple are changing their music strategy and only selling tribute bands on iTunes.

Alright, here’s what I think they are going to do with the Mini:

Two new models - Retina and non-Retina. The non-Retina will see a spec bump (A6 processor) and a price reduction to $300 while retaining the same dimensions and battery life as the current model. The Retina model, then, will get the A7/A7X and be slightly thicker, wider and heavier as already reported - and more expensive: $400. And if Apple decide to add Touch ID to the iPad 5, the Retina Mini will probably get that as well.

This seems like the only solution if Apple want to avoid releasing an underpowered Retina Mini that they’ll have to replace in 6 months. It’s also possibly something that they planned from the get-go with the original Mini’s pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do you think it's possible that 32gb becomes the new standard instead of the 16gb so they can go back to having only 3 models?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do you think it's possible that 32gb becomes the new standard instead of the 16gb so they can go back to having only 3 models?

I would have expected it with the iPhone and they didn't do that, so I think it's unlikely.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »

No, highly unlikely this year. As Zcott said, that’s the kind of change they’d probably bring to the iPhone first. And during a “tock” (internal refinement), not a “tick” (hardware re-design) year.

Advertisement