Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oct 22 - Apple iPad event

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Zcott wrote: »
    I would have expected it with the iPhone and they didn't do that, so I think it's unlikely.
    No, highly unlikely this year. As Zcott said, that’s the kind of change they’d probably bring to the iPhone first. And during a “tock” (internal refinement), not a “tick” (hardware re-design) year.

Well I was just wondering as the iPad is the only product that has the 128gb.

I can't stand how they charge €100 for extra capacity,

I am definitely getting the next iPad. Have all my music on a 64gb iPhone and really think that 16gb is enough and using cloud services for movies etc. Am I mad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

murpho999 wrote: »
    I am definitely getting the next iPad. Have all my music on a 64gb iPhone and really think that 16gb is enough and using cloud services for movies etc. Am I mad?

It really depends on what takes up most of your space. If you're an app-a-holic then you'd go through 16gb quick enough if you play a lot of games.

But if you use most of your space with music (like me) and photos (like me) then iTunes Match is well worth investing in. All your music available in the cloud to download (even stuff that isn't in the iTunes store) and as long as you have a data connection you can access them all. 16gb is just fine for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Well I was just wondering as the iPad is the only product that has the 128gb.

I can't stand how they charge €100 for extra capacity,

Its more of a personal preference really and depending on your setup, but I know that I survive perfectly with 16GB. I'd even go as far as saying I use little to none of my local storage.

I use Netflix, RTE Player, Sky Go and a few US Apps (using a VPN) for my streaming needs. Apple has tightly integrated all my iTunes purchases in with the Music and Video standard Apps using iCloud in iOS7. So when I open each, my whole catalogue of content is there to stream. If I want to store one on my iPad for offline viewing, I can do so with a tap of a button and it will start downloading. In addition to this, I've the Google Drive, SkyDrive and Box Apps where I might put a few eBooks onto or maybe a few TV Shows (you may have to be careful of what format the video is in, and what the App is capable of playing). My music is stored with Google Music, which streams perfectly over Safari/Chrome (and can create a quick-link icon for ease of access). I could use Box or the others for my music, but I've an Android phone so it all ties in nicely. You can even get Apps that link all your Cloud accounts together to give you quick access to all your content in each - very handy if you are avaialing of some of the free storage from each provider. On top of all that, YouTube has a fantastic App and many websites have adopted to using compatible codecs for mobile Safari. I've rarely, if ever, have missed flash.

Overall, the iPad is handles all these new Cloud-based applications fantastically from my experience. Third Party development for the iPad has done wonders for the device, and Apple constantly give more access to APIs to developers improving the quality of Apps. Even compared to two years ago. My setup won't suit everyone, but I've never needed more storage really. Apologies for the long post! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

christ no ..I wouldn't last 5 mins on 16gb.
    Definitely looking at 64gb iphone next time around and same for iphone.
    Games are getting a lot bigger etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,926 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Zcott wrote: »
    Maybe some new hardware keyboard covers for iPad, like the Surface?
    Its been speculated, and now they will look like copycats. They had the opportunity to do it for years, they just didn't.

The only really "Apple" way to do it is to have the cover wirelessly charge across the magnetic connection to the side of the tablet. They won't dare launch a bluetooth cover that requires some icky charging cable, or if they do it will be lightning.

I could give a damn about the specs, but the new iPad will have the A7 if not some A7x, Apple will (Hopefully) announce some long term transition into 64-bit app support and the true merge between OSX and iOS (which Steve Jobs initially announced iOS was when the iPhone made its very first debut), but I don't hold my breath.

The iPad 2 will finally be discontinued, it has outlived its usefulness unless Tim Cook decides he really wants Apple products to be positioned right next to the crud. It would be like launching a Macbook for $500. The iPad 4 will either be discontinued but more likely price dropped by a hundred, and available in limited sizes to rake in on the Holidays.

I wish Apple will also kill the 16GB drive size. They should have done this with the 5S, but they didn't. They even launched an 8GB 4S. What can you do with an 8GB 4S? 32GB should be the baseline for a tablet in 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Wouldn't mind an update for iOS7 being shipped with the new iPads, to iron out the bugs. Can be quite frustrating using the iPad at times. The iPhone had its moment, time to focus on the iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Do u think it will go on sale before Christmas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

leemaree wrote: »

Definitely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I'd expect it to be on sale by the end of the month.

leemaree wrote: »

Definitely, Apple won't want to miss out on the vital "holiday" season.

Last year the iPad 4 came one week after launch I assume it will be the same this time.

Also assume that Ireland will be included in first launch countries unlike the iPhone which focused on China this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

iPad mini with retina screen and 350 pricing and im in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

apple's upper hand with products has always been it's available now or next week at the latest.

google on the other hand, i'm still waiting to buy a nexus 4* - without resorting to location spoofing - here in ireland.

* I'm not being serious here, buying a nexus 4 after using an iphone 5, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

One thing I would recommend is - if anyone is buying one for Xmas, to wait until the Black Friday sale day thing. I was humming and hawing last year whether to buy an iPad 4 and on Black Friday they had €50 off the 32GB. That tipped me over the edge! Ordered one that evening :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hopefully we’ll see iOS 7.0.3 with iCloud Keychain support released after the event. I’ve been using it on Mavericks, but it’ll be far more useful on iOS.

One thing I would recommend is - if anyone is buying one for Xmas, to wait until the Black Friday sale day thing. I was humming and hawing last year whether to buy an iPad 4 and on Black Friday they had €50 off the 32GB. That tipped me over the edge! Ordered one that evening :)

Good tip, that doesn't only apply to US purchases?

Also, sign up to Fat Cheese as they give 2% off Apple purchases too (not a lot but all helps!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple offer Black Friday discounts across all their stores. They are usually pretty crap though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Good tip, that doesn't only apply to US purchases?

Also, sign up to Fat Cheese as they give 2% off Apple purchases too (not a lot but all helps!)

Fatcheese?? are Fatcheese not Kaput?? I've had a claim in with them for over a year, and a withdrawal on hold since the summer

Doesn't look like there's going to be a live stream for this event, same as the iPhone one. It's a pity, I miss being able to watch the event as it happens, last years iPad event was streamed so it seems strange how Apple seem to pick and choose events. Probably because the venue is different from last year though.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Doesn't look like there's going to be a live stream for this event, same as the iPhone one. It's a pity, I miss being able to watch the event as it happens, last years iPad event was streamed so it seems strange how Apple seem to pick and choose events. Probably because the venue is different from last year though.

I have never been able to find a live stream of Apple events just blogs etc.

Very strange in this day and age.

paddyh117 wrote: »
    Fatcheese?? are Fatcheese not Kaput?? I've had a claim in with them for over a year, and a withdrawal on hold since the summer

Not as far as I know, claims seem to be a problem but I've had other payments come through recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Apple offer Black Friday discounts across all their stores. They are usually pretty crap though.

Most of the other stuff didn't interest me, the mini didn't get any discounts but the Retinas did so 50 quid off something I was going to buy anyway was decent enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Doodah7

MacRumors is suggesting that the event will be live streamed (through Apple Tv at least) this evening:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/22/apple-to-offer-live-video-stream-of-todays-media-event-2/

Just turned on the Apple TV and the Apple Events app is there with a live stream for today's event :D Delighted I'll be able to watch it now, looking forward to 6pm now.

Awesome!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

+1

I bought my dads iPad 4 on Black Friday.
    Also Power City have an Xmas sale which i got mine in at the same price.

Here's the link for watching the live stream on Apple's website:

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2013/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Here's the link for watching the live stream on Apple's website:

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2013/

I was just about to post that.

Just a note you need a fairly up to date mac to watch it. Or an apple tv.

DylanII wrote: »
    I was just about to post that.

Just a note you need a fairly up to date mac to watch it. Or an apple tv.

Or an iOS device with iOS 4.2 or later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Do you think this will be watchable on Apple TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

DubDJ wrote: »
    Just turned on the Apple TV and the Apple Events app is there with a live stream for today's event :D Delighted I'll be able to watch it now, looking forward to 6pm now.

Just see this post now :p

Advertisement