Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oct 22 - Apple iPad event

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

Recorded Stream here:

www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2013/

Needs quicktime installed.

Works in Firefox for me, but not in Chrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

BTW its about bloody time they offered an OS update for free, i.e. Mavericks.

With the Mac prices they molest you with, its not like they're going to lose out on much profit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,926 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They needed to compete with 8.1's pricing ��

Mavericks was sadly the best part of today's announcement, with geeky improvements to battery life and memory performance. For free no less

The iPad Air? Mehhhh. More of the same. Typically iterative. No KB Cover. Can't believe the iPad 2 is still going to be around this holiday season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Overheal wrote: »
    They needed to compete with 8.1's pricing ��

Mavericks was sadly the best part of today's announcement, with geeky improvements to battery life and memory performance. For free no less

The iPad Air? Mehhhh. More of the same. Typically iterative. No KB Cover. Can't believe the iPad 2 is still going to be around this holiday season.

The iPad 2 not for the consumers at this stage. Its for education & enterprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I think the reason they kept the iPad 2 around is because of the fact it matches up nicely with the non-Retina iPad mini specs wise.

The only difference between the new Retina mini and iPad Air is the screen size and prices. They match up exactly on specs, so it's a choice between retina and non retina and then which screen size you prefer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I’d be interested to know how much RAM is in the Retina Mini. I’d be concerned that they skimped on it compared to the Air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Downloading Mavericks now!

Finder Tabs!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I’d be interested to know how much RAM is in the Retina Mini. I’d be concerned that they skimped on it compared to the Air.

They've kept everything else the same spec wise bar the physical screen size so why you think they'll skimp on the ram?

I called this in the thread earlier, apple have learned from the iPad 3's mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

They've kept everything else the same spec wise bar the physical screen size so why you think they'll skimp on the ram?

I called this in the thread earlier, apple have learned from the iPad 3's mistakes.

Would certainly make it easier on developers, but you never know. I'm sure ifixit will let us know sooner or later!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Because margins are probably still tight on the Mini. If the Air has 2GB, I wouldn’t be surprised if they only put 1GB in the Mini. We’ll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

First years use iPad 2's in my school and we are supposed to be using them next year. As much as I prefer Android iPads are quite easy to pick up and get used to.

This post has been deleted.

Yeah the regular Mini has 512. The problem with 1GB is that the Retina screen would eat up most of the benefits, so you wouldn’t see much improvement in tab refreshing.

I’m assuming, of course, that 2GB is what’s in the Air, but who knows, it could be only 1GB.

iPad 4 has 1gb so even if the mini retina has 1gb we'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Really, really disappointed with the price increase of the iPad Mini. I was all set to move from the first Nexus 7 to the new iPad Mini but at 489 euros for the 32gb version, I'm going to get the new Nexus 7 for nearly 200 euro less.

Can't believe they didn't keep it in line with the original pricing.

Agree I wasn't expecting such a price increase either. It's going from a bit more expensive to nearly twice the price of similar tablets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I don't think anyone was expecting the iPad Air name change, which opens up the iPad name. Some talk of renaming the iPad mini to iPad, or maybe opening up a new iPad Pro line. Hard to know.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Zcott wrote: »
    I don't think anyone was expecting the iPad Air name change, which opens up the iPad name. Some talk of renaming the iPad mini to iPad, or maybe opening up a new iPad Pro line. Hard to know.

I think it's to separate it from the iPad 2. It's a little confusing that the iPad 2 was the crappier, lower specced one but the iPad was the better, more powerful version.

I was thinking the same. But I think it was just a way of drawing attention to the redesign, which is pretty significant. Since they dropped the number there isn't much to differentiate the latest iPad from the previous generation. Calling it "the new iPad" doesn't cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I think it's to separate it from the iPad 2. It's a little confusing that the iPad 2 was the crappier, lower specced one but the iPad was the better, more powerful version.

Hm, good point. I also find it strange that they kept on with the iPad 2, because it's the only non-retina and non-lightning product they make. They must be able to make them seriously cheap to warrant selling them on; I expected they'd discount the iPad 4 to replace it.

They kept the iPad 2 because they can sell it with extremely good margins for less than €400. The iPad 3 was a write-off and selling the iPad 4 for €400 would have been tight, especially when they need those Retina displays for the iPad Air. And as this and other threads show, Retina is wasted on many people who just want a cheap tablet, so Apple might as well profit from them.

• Advertisement

Hm, good point. I also find it strange that they kept on with the iPad 2, because it's the only non-retina and non-lightning product they make. They must be able to make them seriously cheap to warrant selling them on; I expected they'd discount the iPad 4 to replace it.

iPhone 4S, iPod Classic both use 30 pin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭baldshin

Surprised they kept on iPad 2, mine is just over a year old and is gone incredibly slow! Might sell it on and upgrade to a retina mini!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think they must be keeping the iPad 2 as they cannot sell another retina display model significantly cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

It's a sign the iPad 2 will be getting iOS updates for another while... roll on iOS 8!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Some people swear by the retina difference. Some people see nothing. I see nothing
    7upfree wrote: »
    Yep. Agree 100%. On a very large screen yes. On a 7" screen absolutely not.

Anyone who doesn't see a difference honestly needs their eyes tested.

The difference on an iPhone is huge never mind an iPad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,894 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Only got my iPad 4 a year ago but I really want the iPad Air now :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,926 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Some people swear by the retina difference. Some people see nothing. I see nothing
    have you consulted an optician? Theres a clear difference. I can spot spot retina just by looking at the battery percentage.

ipad-3-vs-ipad-2-ips-screens-640x353.jpg
    mail-icon-ipad-2-vs-new-ipad-screen.jpg
    ipad-3-retina-display.jpg&w=600&h=346&ei=40VnUpDMEs-EkQfE8YHABA&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:14,s:0,i:123&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=169&tbnw=296&start=0&ndsp=34&tx=232&ty=75
    iPad-3-retina-display-close-up.jpg

Its even worse if you look at a 3GS or a 3rd gen iTouch. Really distracting when you watch netflix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

mdwexford wrote: »

Spotted it straight away on my sisters iPad mini when setting it up. Couldn't believe how blocky the text looked compared to my iPhone 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Overheal wrote: »
    have you consulted an optician? Theres a clear difference. I can spot spot retina just by looking at the battery percentage.

ipad-3-vs-ipad-2-ips-screens-640x353.jpg
    mail-icon-ipad-2-vs-new-ipad-screen.jpg
    ipad-3-retina-display.jpg&w=600&h=346&ei=40VnUpDMEs-EkQfE8YHABA&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:14,s:0,i:123&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=169&tbnw=296&start=0&ndsp=34&tx=232&ty=75
    iPad-3-retina-display-close-up.jpg

Its even worse if you look at a 3GS or a 3rd gen iTouch. Really distracting when you watch netflix

In all fairness, when you blow something up to that size it will be noticeable. To the majority of people it isn't. It's up there with watching HD vs SD on a 42" display while sitting 15 feet away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

mdwexford wrote: »

We have the mini, the 4S and a 27" iMac. Believe me, it is negligible.

Advertisement