Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting out of UPC contract - Denial of service

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Any recent install I've seen the UPC engineer (its usually a 3rd party contractor) will just run throw the cable over the roof or through the gutters down to a point outside where you TV is, drill a whole through the wall at that point and install a box just there. Not that tidily either.

They don't do anything internal.

If you want it wired differently or neatly you'll have to do it yourself, or get an someone else to do it.

I've never heard of them refusing to drill through the wall, to install a box though. You might have simply got someone who just didn't want to do it. Maybe they were in a hurry or something. Maybe the UPC engineers doesn't do installs. Or some daft thing like that.

Watch what they do though. The UPC engineer we got cut off the end connectors off the cables he wasn't using. Which wasn't UPC property to damage. I didn't notice till a few weeks later.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not surprised UPC don't do internal wiring anymore, Eircom also don't do this.

If you want a socket put elsewhere in your home its upto you to hire somebody in to do the work, in my case I already had work done and so when Eircom showed up the simply connected the extended wiring to the connection they made for a second line. But thats as much as they'll do

I know in once case, to improve signal problems within a house they just cut off the old box and ran a new cable externally to a new location and drilled through the new wall, and installed a new box there. Bypassing all internal wiring completely. You can't really expect them to do more of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

It does make sense but is there not always going to be a potential issue with a cable supplied by a customer between the outside connection and the internal box. Very easy for UPC to turn around and say that the customer is using sub standard cable or that there's an issue with the run. UPC then says your problem, not ours.

What you expect UPC to do with an internal cable? It could be buried in a wall, and the builder might have clipped it with a drill or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

UPC are not generally responsible for internal wiring. The original broadband cabling was done because you hired them to install it there when you ordered the broadband service and any responsibility they have is confined to poor materials/workmanship alone for that cable. They are not responsible for relocating the line to the living room, so if you do want it relocated you will have to arrange that yourselves.

I believe you are over-reacting to an extent, as a fully certified Cisco CCNA engineer you should know that the low voltage internal cabling is well within your capabilities and an electrician is not required. I'm sure you already know this but just wanted to let of steam, afterall who connected the horizon box in the living room to the broadband socket in the dining room (presumably yourself)?

Anyway it's fairly clear the line is not at fault since your devices only fail when on WiFi and work fine when cabled to the box. Get onto UPC again and explain this to them (repeatedly if necessary) and insist on a replacement box. If they refuse then you may consider invoking consumer rights by cancelling the contract but on the grounds that the box is faulty, not lack of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I am a fully certified Cisco CCNA engineer

Did any of the other network engineers reading this laugh as hard as I did at the pompousness of this statement? :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭creep

Did any of the other network engineers reading this laugh as hard as I did at the pompousness of this statement? :P

Yes I burst my hole laughing. studying that myself over the last few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Five Lamps wrote: »
    It does make sense but is there not always going to be a potential issue with a cable supplied by a customer between the outside connection and the internal box. Very easy for UPC to turn around and say that the customer is using sub standard cable or that there's an issue with the run. UPC then says your problem, not ours.
    beauf wrote: »
    What you expect UPC to do with an internal cable? It could be buried in a wall, and the builder might have clipped it with a drill or anything.
    slimjimmc wrote: »
    UPC are not generally responsible for internal wiring. The original broadband cabling was done because you hired them to install it there when you ordered the broadband service and any responsibility they have is confined to poor materials/workmanship alone for that cable. They are not responsible for relocating the line to the living room, so if you do want it relocated you will have to arrange that yourselves.

I believe you are over-reacting to an extent, as a fully certified Cisco CCNA engineer you should know that the low voltage internal cabling is well within your capabilities and an electrician is not required. I'm sure you already know this but just wanted to let of steam, afterall who connected the horizon box in the living room to the broadband socket in the dining room (presumably yourself)?

Anyway it's fairly clear the line is not at fault since your devices only fail when on WiFi and work fine when cabled to the box. Get onto UPC again and explain this to them (repeatedly if necessary) and insist on a replacement box. If they refuse then you may consider invoking consumer rights by cancelling the contract but on the grounds that the box is faulty, not lack of service.
    creep wrote: »
    Yes I burst my hole laughing. studying that myself over the last few weeks.

UPC initially put these cables in, I got a phone call from a technical supervisor today taking full responsibility and they are sending out an engineer to rewire the internal cabling and out to the external upc connection.

And questioning my qualifications? I've said all along it was not a configuration issue of the appliance, I got slated on here and laughed at.

Turns out as I was right and UPC have taken full responsibility.

Thank you for your input either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

UPC initially put these cables in, I got a phone call from a technical supervisor today taking full responsibility and they are sending out an engineer to rewire the internal cabling and out to the external upc connection.

And questioning my qualifications? I've said all along it was not a configuration issue of the appliance, I got slated on here and laughed at.

Turns out as I was right and UPC have taken full responsibility.

Thank you for your input either way.

That's very good service from UPC since they're not liable for re-routing your existing cabling, just fixing/replacing any defects in work they previously done (for a reasonable period). However going on what you've described I doubt that will resolve your issue. This thread's not over yet me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

And questioning my qualifications?

Nobody's questioning your 'qualifications'; it's just that those of us with actual network engineering experience are amused by you puffing out your chest. You calling yourself an "engineer" with a CCNA would be like me comparing myself to Michael Schumacher with my bog-standard driver's license.

Is your CCNA even in the Wireless track (seeing as this is where it sounds like your problem lies)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

slimjimmc wrote: »
    That's very good service from UPC since they're not liable for re-routing your existing cabling, just fixing/replacing any defects in work they previously done (for a reasonable period). However going on what you've described I doubt that will resolve your issue. This thread's not over yet me thinks.

Well for me its. You guys can keep chatting about my issue, I'll just try to enjoy the service UPC are providing from here.

Its great to see UPC are doing something completely out of character and beyond their remit just for this one customer.

Its great to see such an interesting solution to a wifi issue. Redoing the internal wiring.

I would have looked for them to swap the box especially because of the problem with the HD TV service. You live and learn....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

beauf wrote: »
    Its great to see UPC are doing something completely out of character and beyond their remit just for this one customer.

Its great to see such an interesting solution to a wifi issue. Redoing the internal wiring.

I would have looked for them to swap the box especially because of the problem with the HD TV service. You live and learn....

I don't agree. I find UPC service to be very good. I emailed an issue about some cabling we were doing in the house and I got a call from an engineer who said he was in the area and could pop in and check it out.

Advertisement