Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfairly treated by employer seriously upset

Options
  • 09-10-2013 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all
    I'm seriously upset at writing this but wanted some honest opinions
    I was recently promoted in work, I was chosen over someone who already has two years experience in the field.

I am a single parent so while I was on low pay I was getting a social welfare assistance payment aswell

The job was offered at x amount and I advised them that it was not what I expected and that by taking it at that amount I would loose my social welfare and be down 40 euro a week

I was told due to budget restraints there was absolutely no movement on this.. So I took the hit after discussing it with hr and with a view to getting off benefits completely and taking it in good faith there was nothing they could do. It was a good move for my career anyway

A second position in the same contract arises 3 weeks later.. Same role and responsibility and three times less people to look after (supervisor)

This person has the three year experience I didn't have and has been taken on at the money that I was asking for

I find this really hard to deal with as I am now at a loss and in a sense they have given what I asked for in the first place to the new person

As my first paragraph says they wanted me over someone similar but yet I'm not Worth that small but more money.

I know private sector can pay what they want but is there any point in even talking to my manager/hr over the fact I was lied to and told no budget but three weeks later someone hired and given the pay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

You say this new person has three yrs experience that you didnt have maybe thats the reason

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dublinlassie

They do have it nothing against them.. But just in the name (supervisor) I've been doing the role for the last year and a half anyway
    Plus I bet off someone with that same experience for the role
    I know I prob can't do anything about it

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

Hi OP,

It is a tough situation you are in, but I don't think there is much you can do.

The second person you mention has 3 years more experience than you do and it is not unreasonable that they would be paid a higher wage than someone with less experience.

If the second job appeared 3 weeks after you were told the budget wouldn't allow them to give you more money, then I believe it would already have been factored in to their budgetary considerations. I think it might be a stretch to say you were lied to. They may have budgeted for a certain salary for your position depending on the experience of the successful candidate. Had you more experience you may have received more money.

Like I said, tough situation but you made the decision to take the hit and the difference in experience can't really be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Is the other person male or female?

It's tough all right.. I would say it was fabricated the position wasn't even signed off on when I got the job the decided to scrap a lower position and split the team in two..
    I just don't get why they chose me over someone with that same experience you know if it's not worth paying.. Plus I had already been doing the work for them elsewhere just wasn't supervisor
    Or is that why they took me good worker but cheaper maybe

We are both female no worries there

I've edited to add I've got fifteen and this girl has four people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

At the end of the day though, if you do want to take it up with them, all they have to do is point at the 3 years extra experience. You can't really argue that point.

At the end of the day though, if you do want to take it up with them, all they have to do is point at the 3 years extra experience. You can't really argue that point.

I can't and it's the nature of the business we are in.. It's just no way to retain good staff.. Everyone in the same roles are on different levels of pay some less than me with more experience ect there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rule

Thanks, i was just curios, it wouldnt have mattered anyway.

I know how you feel and I would fear that any noise you make on this at work would probably only cause more grief than its worth.

My advice would be to keep the head down, learn and gain experience and see it as an opportunity. Given the fact that another person is in the same job earning more down to experience, it would be acceptable to ask your employer to keep your progression reflected in your pay, i.e. over the next 3 years you should be able to progress and obtain the same level of pay as your colleague assuming you progress to the same level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Yeah but if she has to manage more people would that not also warrant a higher wage?

I mean, one woman has x+3 years experience and manages 4 people and the OP has x experience managing 15 people? It's a bit of a joke, they should be getting paid the same. They probably knew the OP would just go along with it and they've set it up so she can't do anything about it. Shame :(

We are on the same level that's the thing our contract and job spec exactly the same

But yes I will ask that question and hopefully they can review it for me at a later date

• Advertisement

Yeah but if she has to manage more people would that not also warrant a higher wage?

I mean, one woman has x+3 years experience and manages 4 people and the OP has x experience managing 15 people? It's a bit of a joke, they should be getting paid the same. They probably knew the OP would just go along with it and they've set it up so she can't do anything about it. Shame :(

That's really my grievance bigger team more pressure less money :-(

We are on the same level that's the thing our contract and job spec exactly the same

But yes I will ask that question and hopefully they can review it for me at a later date

Yeah, if you ask nicely and politely and don't get aggressive (not saying you would), you never know what might happen with time.

I guess you have your work cut out for you, (so to speak), do your best despite your disappointment and show them you're worth the extra wage!

I'll I've to say it I have taken it way to personal as I've taken a loss... But I was under the impression they had capped at x amount and they haven't to be honest everyone gets a different story which is hard as people talk

I'll be looking elsewhere but I'm there six years now so don't really want to

I'll I've to say it I have taken it way to personal as I've taken a loss... But I was under the impression they had capped at x amount and they haven't to be honest everyone gets a different story which is hard as people talk

I'll be looking elsewhere but I'm there six years now so don't really want to

That's really ****ty. :( I really hope good things come your way soon OP.

Agree with Sparky, its a horrible situation but i think right now, its how you make the best of it.

TheBoffin wrote: »
    Agree with Sparky, its a horrible situation but i think right now, its how you make the best of it.

Yeah, I know it's easy for us to say sitting here behind our screens, but try not to dwell too much on it.

They can't keep a good woman down!! You know you're worth the extra few bob, now you just have to prove it!

Take solace in all the good things you have going on for you and you'll feel better in time. Sending positive thoughts your way. :)

Guys I really appreciate the kind words I'm gonna be puffy eyed in the morning lol from no sleep best keep quiet I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I would say sit tight for now and play the long game. This person is only new and in the door - there is a possibility that they might not stay, or might not pass probation. Experience is all well and good on paper, but actions are what will really show if they have the experience. Sit back and watch how they perform (discretely). Then in 3 months time or so, or at your next performance review, raise the subject. Approach it from the point of view that you have been doing the role x months now and have achieved x/y/z. Highlight improvements you have made, or targets reached or exceeded, or other benefits to the company. Don't go at it from the side of saying 'but she gets more than me and we do the same job'. Instead, argue it on your own merits, but take note of the things that the other person does and does not do so that you can make sure your performance can be proven to be equal or better than theirs. You can of course mention your extra headcount - although number of staff to manage does not necessarily mean you have more to manage or are better at it, so again you need to be clear that managing extra staff means extra workload and responsibility which you are handling well and performance wise you are on or exceeding your target.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Am I the only one here who can see absolutely nothing wrong with this? The person has three years more experience than you for a start. In the private sector it dog eat dog, they probably knew that you would work for x so why would they offer you y? I'll be honest I wouldn't say a word or behave any differently because you are the one who will look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Op maybe they gave you your job over the more experienced candidate to save money knowing they needed another role to be filled in 3wks by a more experienced person and would have to offer more for that role to be filled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Am I the only one here who can see absolutely nothing wrong with this? The person has three years more experience than you for a start. In the private sector it dog eat dog, they probably knew that you would work for x so why would they offer you y? I'll be honest I wouldn't say a word or behave any differently because you are the one who will look bad.

If you don't know your own worth, no one else ever will. Of course costings of salaries are usually set for business needs. But that does not mean you cannot ask for a higher salary. The key is to ensure that your request is a sound business case, and not just 'she gets it so I want it' situation. If you put your case forward in a professional manner and can show the benefits you have brought to the role, and even better if you can show how you have implemented cost savings or increased revenue, then you have nothing to loose by asking for more money. Worst can happen is you are told no. But if you handle it right and are professional about it it shouldn't negatively affect your career prospects, and quite often can work in your favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

ANXIOUS wrote: »

I agree with you. An employer can offer what they want as long as its above minimum wage, its up to the employee to accept it or not.

OP you may be being paid exactly what the market will bare for someone with your experience and qualifications, which means you are being paid what you are worth. If you disagree, you can ask, if you are worth more they will pay more, if not then it may be a case of like it or lump it.

Thanks everyone for your input
    Just as an update and some good news went in today tired and upset and just blurted it out to my manager that I heard what had happened and wasn't happy and felt like handing in my notice
    She has agreed to bring me to the same level of pay! I am delighted to be honest

Seems like the other candidate was just a better negotiator than me

Absolutely delighted for you, well done!

Advertisement