Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unused land/quarry drogheda

Options
  • 09-10-2013 7:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

I was travelling to to the hospital in drogheda recently and biticed a large piece of land that looks abandoned at the hill of rath roundabout. It looks as if there is a quarry in the middle. I seem to remember a story from years ago where a foreign mining company used to work there and just left leaving it in a mess. Does anyone know what exactly happened?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hanlor

Not sure about the foreign company. This might give a clue

http://www.irishcement.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Irish-Cement-Celebrating-75-Years.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Really is that what happened? Irish Cement dug out that quarry and left it like that (rather than filling it, or making a park or whatever). That has got to be against so many laws?

And they have created massive holes on their location as well, visible on Google Maps: http://goo.gl/maps/ekK6H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

don't quote me on that. its just a story that I heard years ago and I don't know if its true. anyway part of the story that I heard that it was a foreign company that came in got grants and left the place in a mess and then left. not sure if there is any truth to this at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 greglouth

It's very sad story.....

I really would see great green park with flowers, trees and wildlife on that abandoned place.

2nd option it may be extreme terrain for 4x4 and go carts. Good for reviving tourism in area.

3rd one something like Tayto zoo and park with rollercoasters (near Ashbourne) is good option too :)

If you still interested I can ask in Drogheda Borough Council what are their plans for that place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

greglouth wrote: »
    It's very sad story.....

I really would see great green park with flowers, trees and wildlife on that abandoned place.

2nd option it may be extreme terrain for 4x4 and go carts. Good for reviving tourism in area.

3rd one something like Tayto zoo and park with rollercoasters (near Ashbourne) is good option too :)

If you still interested I can ask in Drogheda Borough Council what are their plans for that place.

Tayto Park are getting Rollarcoasters in

• Advertisement
Advertisement