Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Board Games and Puzzles

• 09-10-2013 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I'm looking to get some decent board games for my nephews for Christmas, the types of games that I used to play in the 1980's when I was growing up.

I've checked Smyths toy store but everything they have seems a bit simple. Amazon is very expensive when shipping charges are included. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Hello Seahorse61; I think you'll find this forum more suitable for your question.

Kind regards,
    The Mod team

• Registered Users Posts: 38 seahorse61

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

seahorse61 wrote: »
    I'm looking to get some decent board games for my nephews for Christmas, the types of games that I used to play in the 1980's when I was growing up.

I've checked Smyths toy store but everything they have seems a bit simple. Amazon is very expensive when shipping charges are included. Any thoughts?

Hi seahorse

It really depends on what boardgames you used to play.Boardgames have come a long way since then ,and there are plenty of newer ,more modern "decent" Board games.Alot of the info is already here in this forum........

Cogs - the brain shop in Stephen's Green

I was in here last week ,and they have a good selection of puzzels and puzzle type games ,also there is a small collection of boardgames that I would consider to be decent games.

Also http://boardgamer.ie/ ,has a good collection of boardgames you can check out online,delivered straight to your door.

You could also try http://gamersworlddublin.com/ .They have a large range of boardgames ,but don't think they do puzzles.

PS: If you let us know what type of games you used to play ,anyone on this forum would be glad to recommend a suitable equivilent if the original is not available.

Thanks for the info. I'm not looking for a specific game, just something we can sit down and play together. I'll check out these websites and drop into the Cogs shop to see if anything takes my fancy.

seahorse61 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I'm not looking for a specific game, just something we can sit down and play together. I'll check out these websites and drop into the Cogs shop to see if anything takes my fancy.

I picked up Forbidden Desert in Cogs. It might interest you, see below......

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmQverenaaqL2wJfJEAx5rrUYbaKxcu2I

They also had catan, carcarsonne , axis and allies, which are pretty good gateway games.

If your not sure what your looking for I would recommend checking out some boardgame reviews to see how they play, before you buy.
    As I said if you need recommendations anyone here would be glad to help.

Since you have played boardgames previously and depending on your nephews ages I would say check out Descent, They had it in Gamers world last time I was there.

BOARDGAMEGEEK.COM has lots of video play throughs ,or you could check dicetower ,or rahdo on youtube.

Happy boardgaming :)

ps :Gamers world is a shop in Jervis st.

• Advertisement

All sorted – I dropped into Cogs the Brain Shop on my lunch break and picked up Catan.

Actually the fella in the shop was sound. He opened the game for me and went through how it works. Good to see there are places out there that make a bit of effort.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Catan's one of the all time classics and any time you can say "I've got Wood for Sheep" is a good time :p

Carcassonne is great fun too.

Might I suggest watching some of Wil Wheaton's Tabletop to see some of the more popular games in action and to give you an idea if a particular game is suitable or interesting to you.

Great I'll check it out. There seems to be loads out there. Looking forward to getting stuck into Settlers of Catan first though.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Catan's one of the all time classics.

Yeah a top notch gateway game IMO .Anyone can play it and theres a fair few different versions and expansions(seafarers is my fav).

My favourite version is Catan geographies(germany).Great components and a few twists with the added monuments.Great way for kids to learn about germany.
    I also like the theme/look of Catan Struggle for Rome.But its a harder one to teach,so don't get to play it much.

I hope to get a copy of Catan Star trek ,now that those fantastic new boards have been released.It looks really interesting

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've been eying up Star Trek Catan too myself, I don't actually have a "physical" version of Catan at all but have it on XBox and PC :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement