Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 Games on PS3

Options
  • 09-10-2013 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I've got an Xbox at the minute and I've been looking into reliving my childhood PS2 games. Instead of having two different consoles I've been looking at getting a PS3 because I thought that these had backward compatability and I could play PS2 games through this.

Can anybody help me out with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BadmanRiddim

Oh the original fat ps3s are backwards compatible. There's a list on Wikipedia of games that Work on it with no compatibility issues. Most of the mainstream/popular games will work grand on it (GTA etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's tricky. Only the launch PS3s will play PS2 games, but because their heat dispersion was so bad, there's not too many of them that have survived the 'yellow light of death' and those still around are susceptible to dying suddenly.

Your best option really is two different consoles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The emulation on the european consoles is terrible as well, better off getting a cheap PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

many old ps2 games are pretty cheap on psn store and sometimes free with Ps plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Of the phat models, there was the 20,40,60 and 80gb versions, only the 60gb phat models can play PS2 games nativlely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Of the phat models, there was the 20,40,60 and 80gb versions, only the 60gb phat models can play PS2 games nativlely.

80gb can also

80gb can also

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

hallo dare wrote: »
    80gb can also

Think it's only the Korean and US 80gb models that can, they were made the same as the EU 60gb except HDD size. EU 80 models were restricted in PS2 titles compared to the EU 60 and US 80 that could play anything.

Think it's only the Korean and US 80gb models that can, they were made the same as the EU 60gb except HDD size. EU 80 models were restricted in PS2 titles compared to the EU 60 and US 80 that could play anything.

fair enough, but whatever PS2 title i put in worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Is there any disadvantages or noticeable differences in using a PS Store emulated PS2 game say GTA San Andreas, compared to playing San Andreas in a PS2. i.e. is an emulated game exactly the same?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I still have my 60 gig launch model, I worry everyday that it'll be the last day it works (dramatic I know) I'm tempted to try and get another.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I'll sell you mine €2,000

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

eddhorse wrote: »
    I'll sell you mine €2,000

Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I still have my 60 gig launch model, I worry everyday that it'll be the last day it works (dramatic I know) I'm tempted to try and get another.

mine only lasted 5months :( then got a repair,has been alive since then :) not sure if they repaired it or replaced it though, barly play on it though, but I'd say it will croke it if I turn it on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Done!

Damn, knew I should have went higher !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The compatibility is pretty good but since it's emulation, and not great emulation it can be a bit glitchy and the framerates erratic.
    Pangea wrote: »
    Is there any disadvantages or noticeable differences in using a PS Store emulated PS2 game say GTA San Andreas, compared to playing San Andreas in a PS2. i.e. is an emulated game exactly the same?

It's not exactly the same but it's close. Of you can put up with the framerate being a bit worse then you'll be ok.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The compatibility is pretty good but since it's emulation, and not great emulation it can be a bit glitchy and the framerates erratic.

Never had any glitches or eratic framerates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

i have original 60gb, never had any issues playing PS2 games on it. Played PS2 Family guy game and installed new 320gb drive last week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

You're better off with an old ps2 to be fair. The ps3 models that are compatible will probably break on you within a few months of buying it.

I got a deal on the PS2's (yes plural as they were that cheap) that I bought.

I have one old school really old one that I use day to day for Tekken mostly but I also have the slim version as a back up for the eventual demise of my phat version.

Slim version is really really small so might be the one you want if your trying to cut down on space etc..

Nothing beats the big dirty auld phat version though in my opinion!

Adverts.ie for cheap as chips PS2's. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

have mine since launch no issues,fan was loud from day one just used it for regular use couple hours a night maybe. Have to say got good ware for 7yr old machine ive had tvs break on me quicker.

Never had any glitches or eratic framerates.

Most people wouldn't notice it but I do. You might say there's no issues but I'm not making it up:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ps2-classics-on-ps3

It's only really enough to annoy on specific games or for pedantic people like me.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Damn, knew I should have went higher !

Have it delivered by the first full moon of November or the deal is off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Had issues with the framerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

i know that officially there are glitchs and some games dont work...lucky for me i guess that the ones I had did work. Family guy on Ps2 was so good.....ahem......

Advertisement