Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I worry about cat yet?

• 09-10-2013 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

We have a cat - Charlie - who we haven't seen or heard from since about 2:30 this morning. I know this because I heard him scratching at the door, but I was too lazy to rise out of bed to let him in, which means I'll feel extremely guilty if we never see him again.

Obviously if I thought this was a risk I would have certainly gone downstairs to let him in, because we often keep him out overnight and he's invariably scratching at the door first thing in the morning for his breakfast.

Suffice to say he wasn't there this morning, which means I'm partially worried because his absence is out of character as I said.

I'm not anxious for his safety because he's a resilient little thing, who would not have been hit by a car or attacked by fox. I am, however, anxious because guilt is a very debilitating burden and I don't want to blame myself for the disappearance of the family cat.

Do you reckon I'm fearing the proposed guilt factor, which is clouding my judgement on whether or not to worry, or is a cat whose absence is uncharacteristic a cause for concern?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I'd hold off on worrying. He might have had an active night and be sleeping up somewhere now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Yea ours occasionallly (every few months or so) have an AWOL day. They usually turn up eventually like WHAT? You were looking for me? !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

He'll come back or he won't. And here's some armchair psychology for you - you've registered an account with boards.ie and made this your first post, which probably means you're worried about both the cat and the guilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

TheShizz wrote: »
    We have a cat - Charlie - who we haven't seen or heard from since about 2:30 this morning. I know this because I heard him scratching at the door, but I was too lazy to rise out of bed to let him in, which means I'll feel extremely guilty if we never see him again.

Obviously if I thought this was a risk I would have certainly gone downstairs to let him in, because we often keep him out overnight and he's invariably scratching at the door first thing in the morning for his breakfast.

Suffice to say he wasn't there this morning, which means I'm partially worried because his absence is out of character as I said.

I'm not anxious for his safety because he's a resilient little thing, who would not have been hit by a car or attacked by fox. I am, however, anxious because guilt is a very debilitating burden and I don't want to blame myself for the disappearance of the family cat.

Do you reckon I'm fearing the proposed guilt factor, which is clouding my judgement on whether or not to worry, or is a cat whose absence is uncharacteristic a cause for concern?

Thanks.

Have to ask -
    where do you live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Realtine wrote: »
    Have to ask -
    where do you live?

What's the purpose of asking this?

• Advertisement

anniehoo wrote: »
    What's the purpose of asking this?

*Sigh* because this morning a lovely little cat that we have noticed around our area whilst we are still out searching for our missing little black cat - (earlier notice posted in lost & found back in August) was lying deceased outside our neighbours gate. I know if it was my cat I would want to know, no matter how hard to take the news.

That's grand, it would've looked a bit less suspicious if you'd said all of that initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭TheShizz

I live in the Stillorgan/Blackrock area of Dublin, Realtine.

I live in the Stillorgan/Blackrock area of Dublin, Realtine.

Ok so, no, not Charlie then so. Hope he comes home soon.
    anniehoo wrote: »
    That's grand, it would've looked a bit less suspicious if you'd said all of that initially.

I'm sorry - I wasn't sure how to put it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Did he turn up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

I wouldn't worry about it too much... Our cat goes missing for 3-4 days at a time!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭TheShizz

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Did he turn up?

He did, yes. He sauntered in later that evening. You wonder what kind of activities they get up to on their little adventures, and I feel quite silly now about worrying because he's a cat! I trust him to take care of himself more than many humans I know.

Perhaps I was more worried about the subsequent blame that I would shoulder in the event he did not return which filled me with dread, rather than the disappearance itself.

F*ck it. Doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

I'm glad your cat turned up. Your care for said cat warrants few words really though. Enough said.

ferretone wrote: »
    I'm glad your cat turned up. Your care for said cat warrants few words really though. Enough said.

No. It warrants many words, so I'll say it.

Perhaps I was more worried about the subsequent blame that I would shoulder in the event he did not return which filled me with dread, rather than the disappearance itself..

OP, I'm actually furious.You came on here posting about your cat who you thought had gone missing. Most decent caring owners but be worried senseless if they thought their cat had gone missing and not worrying about themselves. You have your priorities ALL wrong.

When you let your cat outside, YOU are responsible for whatever happens to it. Lots of owners let their cat outside at their own risk. If something happens that animal, you take full responsibility for whatever happens it subsequently, leaving your own ego out of the equation.

Thread closed. :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement