Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Virgin!

Options
  • 09-10-2013 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi Guys, my son wants an xbox for christmas & I havent a notion what to get. He wants the minecraft game & the xbox, not the new one coming out. Any idea of what I should go for / where to get best deal? We might also use it to stream movies.

Thanks
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

tracey1098 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, my son wants an xbox for christmas & I havent a notion what to get. He wants the minecraft game & the xbox, not the new one coming out. Any idea of what I should go for / where to get best deal? We might also use it to stream movies.

Thanks

For €249 in Smyths you can get a 250GB console, Minecraft and Lego Batman 2.

Or a 4Gb console and Minecraft for €199.

Not a bad deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭tracey1098

Thanks Logik, would 4GB be enough or would I be as well to go for the 250GB?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Get the 250gb, you'll be glad of it if you ever want to download more games or DLC anything.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Get the 250gb, you'll be glad of it if you ever want to download more games or DLC anything.

Would agree here, 250Gb is the one to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

You'd regret buying the 4gb one very quickly. Especially over €50 euro in the difference. Well worth the extra money for the extra space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Thanks

Go on Donedeal and you'll find plenty of good deals on the Xbox 360 since most people will be selling theirs to get the new one.Retail stores are a rip off imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Go on Donedeal and you'll find plenty of good deals on the Xbox 360 since most people will be selling theirs to get the new one.Retail stores are a rip off imo.

Only concern with buying from Donedeal or 2nd hand would be that as lots of Xbox were banned recently as per thread you could end up with a banned xbox.

nava wrote: »
    Only concern with buying from Donedeal or 2nd hand would be that as lots of Xbox were banned recently as per thread you could end up with a banned xbox.

Good point, someone could pull a fast one and you would essentially have no come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pogmothone

Defo get the 250gb one, I made the mistake of buying the 2gb black xbox, I play call of duty a lot and when the map packs came out I didn't have enough space to download them, So now I have two 8gb usb memory sticks sticking out of the front of my xbox.I bought GTA5 and now I have to buy a new usb hard drive with more than 8gb memory.When you format an 8gb usb stick for the xbox you only get 7.4gb of space.(512 Mb for system use). I went for the cheap option and it ended up costing me more hassle than what its worth.

Also I wouldn't buy him an xbox on adverts or done deal because nobody likes a secondhand present for christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 chris241197

Buy from amazon uk they do free delivery, and have a great deal on a 4gb
    Console £130 so about €150 way better, and its the new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

4 GB consoles aren't worth it. You wouldn't be able to install any games on it, nor download pretty much anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭hardweir

Also be carefull with the new slim 360 as it has no optical out which might limit the types of headsets you can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Thanks

Adverts here will be full of 360's and PS3's when the new consoles come out....and just in time for Xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Thanks Logik, would 4GB be enough or would I be as well to go for the 250GB?

If he's getting into gaming now i'd suggest you get him the Xbox One. The Xbox 360 is well past its use-by-date so to speak.

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

nava wrote: »

I'll be selling my console on Donedeal very soon and its not banned. I had about twenty games, but gave some away to my brothers sons. I was going to give it to my daughter, but she's too young yet.

I have about 8 games all of them are about 1 to 2 years old (top end games). And i have three controllers.

Buying an XB1, so don't need of it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

KIERAN1 wrote: »
    I'll be selling my console on Donedeal very soon and its not banned. I had about twenty games, but gave some away to my brothers sons. I was going to give it to my daughter, but she's too young yet.

I have about 8 games all of them are about 1 to 2 years old (top end games). And i have three controllers.

Buying an XB1, so don't need of it anymore.
    Sounds to me like in a few years time you'd find a use for it. If I were you, I'd keep it. I've got a nephew in a few years I'd let him take it as he needs it. And I'd still be able to go back and play some of the older games myself if the mood strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

If he's getting into gaming now i'd suggest you get him the Xbox One. The Xbox 360 is well past its use-by-date so to speak.

Just my two cents.

not every mother has 500quid+ 65 quid for games to spend this christmas
    are you nuts? its for her son, who is obviously quite new to gaming and young, considering shes asking advice from us where to get the console:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

for the money you are talking about a wii u would be the perfect system for him OP

Advertisement