Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panel wiring

Options
  • 09-10-2013 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Any tips lads on wiring domestic panels neatly ??? Bit better than below......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

i take all the guts out of the board except for cpc and neutral bars

i do one circuit at a time then

connect neutral and cpc and number the phase conductor

lastly i put the guts back and connect the phases

and tighten all conections

that 'GE is one of the best domestic boards for working on..

you're supposed to have the neutrals etc. corresponding..

the neutrals should be doubled up etc in correct no. terminal same as the phases are 'bunched' in your breakers

that would be a fail on a inspection i would think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I can see bare copper, lots of it. :(

Use a proper wire stripper with a depth stop and only use insulated MCB busbars.

What's with the insulation clippings covering the spare bar spots? never seen that before.

These panels are supposed to be IP40 when finished, meaning you can't touch a live part with a human finger with the outside cover off.

ya i was going to mention the sparkies leftover copper-inspector would pull you on it although i don't know if there's a specific rule

i can't understand how the GE board and others are supplied with un-insulated copper busbar either as everything else inside the board is IP2X

you can poke your finger about the live board except for the dangerous copper......

personally i wouldn't twist the stranded cables either here-i don't like it

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sparkobrien77

It's not my board lads was just showing an example,have a few boards to do coming up so was just looking for advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

The pre made connections on GE boards always have loads of copper showing on them like at the top of that RCD and on the pre made neutral connections and busbar feeds.

Every GE board I've used has been like that.

i can't figure the uninsulated busbar myself.....

doesn't make any sense considering boards are pretty safe for poking about now besides that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

The Busbars have always been like that too. I guess they reckon you deserve to be electrocuted if you go around sticking your fingers in a live board :D

Advertisement