Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A large one

Options
  • 09-10-2013 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hello all. Long time lurker. I'm trying to win big this season and have placed a tasty double to try to win €20,000.

It's as follows:

Danny Ings to be Championship top scorer and Gillingham to be relegated from L1. It's 101/1 and I put €200 on.

I put it on 2 weeks ago and thought I would keep track of it on here as I'm starting to get a bit excited about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭chompdown

Quick update, the favourite to be Championship top scorer, Jordan Rhodes, pulled out of the Scottish squad with a groin injury. Probably a sullsh1t injury to get him out of the nothing game, but hopefully it's more serious! Yes, I know that's not kind to say but I need all the luck I can get with a 101/1 shot!

Did you really do this?

Absolutely. I can add a screen shot if needs be.

What do you think of the bet?

Ings was 33/1 and two goals behind Rhodes and Vaughan. He's down to 25/1 but still 2 behind.

Gillingham were 2/1 but are now 5/2 after beating MK Dons (10 men, 2 penos).

Ings looks pure class by the way.

Not a bad day today at all... Gillingham were beaten by fellow relegation contenders Shrewsbury 2-0, and the teams around them that played won.... Stevenage and Crewe.

Skybet are most generous with the odds and have them at 3.25. Ings still 26.0 so that makes odds of 84.5. Going in the right direction!

Pretty big development for the bet with the Gillingham manager Martin Allen getting sacked today. Not sure how that will affect things but from my research their problems are the playing staff, not management.

It was nice to see Tranmere win today too, meaning all of the relegation contenders that played this weekend (ex Sheffield Utd) won. Lovely!

• Advertisement

Well Coral have finally seen sense and dropped the odds on Danny Ings to be Championship top scorer. Maybe it was his call up to the England U21s and the attention he got that made them realise he wasn't a 33/1 shot. They now have him at 12/1.

After Martin Allen's sacking, previously best-priced Bet365 reduced their odds on the Gills getting relegated so now Coral are best priced there at 3.2.

So, after all that the odds are as follows:

Danny Ings top scorer: 34.0 -> 15.0 (Bet 365)
    Gillingham relegation: 3.0 -> 3.2 (Coral)
    Total: 102.0 -> 48.0

The odds have dropped by more than half already! Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭paulb06

Well done on this! Looking forward to see how it pans out :)

Thanks Paul.

Not a bad day yesterday. Gillingham were beaten at home by a decent Preston side. It looks as though Peter Taylor is going to bring in more of a passing style for them, but their fans seem to think that the players aren't good enough to play good football. So the sacking of Martin Allen may turn out to be a big positive for this selection.

Burnley beat Ipswich 1-0 in Portman Road, where Ipswich have a good record. No goal for Ings and the only other realistic rival that scored was Charlie Austin. James Vaughan got a straight red and will be banned for 3 games. I will update the odds tomorrow but I'm sure they will have shortened again...

Gillingham play Tuesday, Burnley not until Saturday.

An important win for Gillingham against fellow relegation candidates Notts County last night. They have drifted out to 3.4 to be relegated and Coral have Tranmere, Notts County, Stevenage, Crewe and Colchester all shorter than the Gills to go down.

The odds are as follows:

Danny Ings top scorer: 34.0 -> 15.0

Gillingham relegation: 3.0 -> 3.4

Total: 102.0 -> 51.0

What a fantastic day for the bet!

Danny Ings scored two against the best defence in the league, QPR, and Gillingham lost to mid-table Port Vale 2-1.

Even better was seeing Ings take and score a peno. Sam Vokes had taken the only other penalty that Burnley got this season so it was very nice to see Ings take this one. Maybe they'll take alternative penalties, but even that is better than nothing.

The only bogie on the scorecard was Jordan Rhodes scoring a pen for Blackburn.

Ings is one behind Rhodes now and Gillingham are only outside the relegation zone on goal difference. It's possible that the odds will have halved again once they are updated.

:)

• Advertisement

The odds have been updated after the weekend games and are as follows. Starting odds, last weeks odds and then current odds....

Danny Ings top scorer: 34.0 -> 15.0 -> 12.0
    Gillingham relegation: 3.0 -> 3.4 -> 2.5

Total: 102.0 -> 51.0 -> 30.0

So they did not drop by half from last week but I am still delighted that it is now a 29/1 shot, having started at 101/1

That means I am three times more likely to win the €20,000 !

On Saturday Burnley play Milwall away, while the Gills are at home to Oldham.

Another goal for Ings today. Joint top now!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

I'm rooting for you, hope you clean it up

Cheers! I spoke too soon though as Ross McCormack banged in 4 to go clear on 11 goals to Ings and Rhodes' 10...

Rhodes has picked up some sort of injury training with Scotland. How bad it is is not yet known. Keeping my fingers crossed for Danny Ings!
    It is thought he has suffered only soft tissue damage despite fears that there may have been a fracture. Rhodes has been sent back to Blackburn for a scan, amid concerns he may face a prolonged spell on the sidelines.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2506918/Jordan-Rhodes-suffered-injury-scare-freak-accident-Scotland-training.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

chompdown wrote: »
    Rhodes has picked up some sort of injury training with Scotland. How bad it is is not yet known. Keeping my fingers crossed for Danny Ings!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2506918/Jordan-Rhodes-suffered-injury-scare-freak-accident-Scotland-training.htm

I've had soft tissue damage to my foot. Extremely painful and was on crutches a few weeks. May as well be a fracture

Great to hear Collie! In the nicest possible way of course ;)

I think it's just another name for ligament damage, so it's a case of wait and see and hope and pray that he will be out for the busy Christmas period...

No major injury for Rhodes, he might even be back for their next game! Ah well...

Big win for Gillingham on Saturday away to fellow strugglers Sheffield United.

In their last three games they have picked up 6 points, and 9 points from the last 4 games so they are flying up the league. But by all accounts they have been playing poorly. The wins are coming from working hard, defending well and taking their chances. Here's a breakdown of their shots on target in the last three games. 6 shots on target, 4 goals, 6 points!

3 shots on target, 2 goals. 2-1 win
    1 shot on target, 1 goal. 1-0 win
    2 shots on target, 1 goal. 2-1 loss

Can they keep up that ratio? I very much doubt it...

Anyway, here's the new odds.

Danny Ings top scorer: 34.0 -> 10.0
    Gillingham relegation: 3.0 -> 3.6

Total: 102.0 -> 36.0

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭langer91

love big season long bets like these! will be wacthing (and rooting for you :P ) with interest bud!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Just clicked "Follow Thread". Best of luck, I'm actually rooting for you. Ballsy bet.

Cheers lads! I love these bets too as there's not the same kind of highs and lows, and inevitable chasing when a loser comes in.

I had a treble last year as follows: Motherwell in the Scottish Prem w/o Celtic, Aldershot to be relegated from League 2, and Benfica to win the Europa league.

As you might remember, Ivanovic scored in the last minute to give the trophy to Chelsea. That defeat cost me winnings of about €27,000. Horrific!

Hoping this year works out slightly better...

Another goal for McCormack at the weekend sent him 2 goals clear of Ings, Rhodes and Vokes. Nugent banged in two and Charlie Austin also got one so it's very close up at the top now.

Delighted to see Gillingham lose at home to Norwich. True to form they only managed one miserable shot on target!

The new odds are as follows:

Danny Ings top scorer: 34.0 -> 10.0
    Gillingham relegation: 3.0 -> 3.25

Total: 102.0 -> 32.5

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

Good luck with the bet! Will be following it.

Seems to be a couple of errors with your posts:

Gillingham were 2/1 but are now 5/2

3/1 presumably?

Delighted to see Gillingham lose at home to Norwich.

Oldham, not Norwich

Not sure how I managed to type Norwich there. Thanks for the correction!

Gillingham have another big home game against Stevenage tonight...

Gillingham beat Stevenage 3-2 on Tuesday night and were deserving winners according to reports. Now they have two away games to come, so I could really do with them picking up no more than 2 points.

Rotherham v Gills, and Huddersfield v Burnley on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Ings has just scored again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Boots234 wrote: »
    Ings has just scored again

And Rotherham crucifying Gills!! Great day for the bet

Indeed it was a very good day for the bet! I was actually thinking that Gillingham could get a battering away to Rotherham, as they keep the ball very well and play proper football. It seems Gillingham are best when playing against other limited teams like themselves as their work ethic is good and they've been able to grind out wins. Against the more quality sides they are just not good enough. They have a very tough Christmas period so I expect them to be in the bottom four just after New Year's. They have to play Wolves, Leyton Orient and Peterborough.

Burnley lost only their second league game of the season but Danny Ings grabbed a goal, which puts him one ahead of Rhodes (another blank) and one behind Ross McCormack.

Charlie Austin and James Vaughan were the only real threats to score over the weekend so a very good day overall.

Here are the updated odds:

Danny Ings top scorer: 34.0 -> 8.0
    Gillingham relegation: 3.0 -> 3.25

Total: 102.0 -> 26.0

It's gone from a 101/1 shot to a 25/1 shot. Not bad, but a long way to go for the €20,000 !

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭TheHannibal

Really enjoying this!

• Advertisement

Danny Ings is out of tonight's game with an ankle injury. It's typical gambler's luck that he picks up a knock on the Saturday before the first Tuesday game in ages. Also it's against a side shipping goals recently, and it's at home!

The last injuries Rhodes and McCormack got were during the international break...

True to gambler form I will be hoping that all Ings rivals all fail to score and pick up injuries too! :)

Advertisement