Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice pub for a first date?

Options
  • 09-10-2013 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hey folks! Can anyone help me out and recommend a nice quiet pub in Galway city for a first date on Friday evening? Im at a loss where to bring him! cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    Hey folks! Can anyone help me out and recommend a nice quiet pub in Galway city for a first date on Friday evening? Im at a loss where to bring him! cheers :)

The Dail bar

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

3fullback wrote: »
    The Dail bar

Would it be quiet on a Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Would it be quiet on a Friday?

Friday night is a bad night to find a quiet pub. Most will have music blaring or even if they don't it will be loud with people talking. What if you guys do other stuff until about 11-11:30 and go to the Skeff...they usually sheppard the louder of the people out into the nightclub next door. You could try the small hotel pub in Jurys Inn...Roisin Dubh very early is quiet...if you are going in around 7 or 8. Blue Note would quiet around then too. So yee could go there and then head up town after. Not very romantic Dating pubs but might be quiet. Massimos is a nicer romancin' pub but I think they have a band on Fridays...but again, if you get in before 9:30-10:00 you'd miss the noise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

The Dew Drop Inn is a nice intimate spot. It's opposite Supermacs on Cross Street. Nice crowd in there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭chuckliddell

The Lantern in Ballybane, think it's called The East Side Tavern now, nice crowd there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

o connors in salthill.

plenty in there to catch your eye and keep conversation going.

/end of thread

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Frist dates and pubs don't go together IMHO.

House Hotel, if you really must, unless you think that would put him off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Monroes would be nice, lots of tables and a few private spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

swiftman wrote: »
    o connors in salthill.

plenty in there to catch your eye and keep conversation going.

/end of thread

One of the worst pubs in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

jh79 wrote: »
    One of the worst pubs in Galway.

can you please back up your statement with facts!

ive been there lately on a first date and it couldnt been more perfect.
    quiet, not busy so mates wont be coming in and bother them etc.

can i ask when was the last time you were there for a first date and why it did suit you!?
    we all know first dates are alot more important to get to know each other, as op stated, its quiet pub they want, not a nightclub where they cant talk.

looking forward to your reply JH79

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭moochers

O' Connells in Eyre Square
    Oslo and The Cottage in Salthill are nice too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Frist dates and pubs don't go together IMHO.

House Hotel, if you really must, unless you think that would put him off.

*shudders* i've never been made to feel so uncomfortable in a place before as there, general air of sex & the city inspired snobbyness.

Hard to say OP, massimos mightn't be to busy on a friday night before it gets late.

swiftman wrote: »
    can you please back up your statement with facts!

ive been there lately on a first date and it couldnt been more perfect.
    quiet, not busy so mates wont be coming in and bother them etc.

can i ask when was the last time you were there for a first date and why it did suit you!?
    we all know first dates are alot more important to get to know each other, as op stated, its quiet pub they want, not a nightclub where they cant talk.

looking forward to your reply JH79

It is a pretend Irish pub for tourists I wouldn't like to go there.

Dating didn't happen when I was single bit of a new-ish phenomenon. I'd go with the Cottage or Massimo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Dating didn't happen when I was single bit of a new-ish phenomenon. I'd go with the Cottage or Massimo's.
    How did that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

cheers for all the comments! I have plenty of ideas now! Want to stay away from the usual haunts ie front door etc. We are meeting at 7 so its quiet early so I suppose we will have the pick of them at that time

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Just go around the corner into Sonny's! :D

How did that work?

Repeatedly meet up in the same nite club, a bit pissed of course for a few weeks in a row. It was the done thing in my day. Eventually meet up for a quiet drink but you were pretty familiar with each other at that stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd recommend The Cottage, it will be pretty quiet, has a nice atmosphere, they had decent food and there's a lovely beer garden (with giant jenga) if it's nice out.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Where's the Cottage (for my own reference :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

cheers for all the comments! I have plenty of ideas now! Want to stay away from the usual haunts ie front door etc. We are meeting at 7 so its quiet early so I suppose we will have the pick of them at that time

Dont forget to come back to us and tell us how you got on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Larianne wrote: »

It's in Salthill. It does get very busy from 8 onwards on Friday/weekend nights though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Repeatedly meet up in the same nite club, a bit pissed of course for a few weeks in a row. It was the done thing in my day. Eventually meet up for a quiet drink but you were pretty familiar with each other at that stage.

ah that's grand I was having visions of an arranged marriage or something weird involving a cousin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

What about the Salthouse? There is normally a good crowd in there but no music so there would be atmosphere without a noise level that means you cant chat.

A like of unusual beers is required though!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

dont forget the ireland v germany match is on this friday night so it'll prob be that bit busier around the pubs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

cooperguy wrote: »
    What about the Salthouse? There is normally a good crowd in there but no music so there would be atmosphere without a noise level that means you cant chat.

A like of unusual beers is required though!

Gets busy on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights though, and can be FIERCE warm at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Rubylolz

Sonnys, Ti Coili, Dail... Ya don't want a place to quiet, a good atmosphere will help ye both relax... Best of luck hope it goes well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Larianne wrote: »

I was thinking the same, giant jenga sounds awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

pdiddy wrote: »
    dont forget the ireland v germany match is on this friday night so it'll prob be that bit busier around the pubs

another reason to go to The Cottage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

pdiddy wrote: »

Also there is rugby on Connacht vs Saracens so Eyre square pubs will be busy enough from round 6

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 438 ✭✭Antifa161

A quiet pub for a first date sounds like a bit of a mare really. Obviously you want to be able to hear each other but a bit of music or atmosphere would be handy too. At least if ye're both boring sods you can sing along to the music in lieu of conversation ;)

You said you're taking a fella. Why not just ask him where he likes at the time? Chances are it will be whatever is nearest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement