Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund query

Options
  • 09-10-2013 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi. Can't find anything after searching threads. I paid a deposit on an item of jewellery and don't wish to purchase the item anymore. The shop is saying it can only be refunded to a gift card. I rang the shop and they said its company policy and they will do half on a gift card, half on my card. Is it within their rights to refund me on gift card even if I want it back on card? The item cost a few hundred and I don't it want a gift card!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would have thought that they would be within there rights to refuse refund of the deposit at all. I guess by refunding to a gift card they are not losing out on the money.

It probably all depends though on what you signed or what terms and conditions were displayed when you paid your deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

You should get full refund back to your card
    However
    It can be tricky if seller shop is located outside EIRE

http://www.webmentor.ie/how-to-guides/legals/16-distance-selling-regulations-in-ireland-what-you-should-know

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Why not ask the experts..
    http://www.consumerhelp.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Seamus1964 wrote: »

That only applies to distance selling. It doesn't apply to a shop you walk in to.

So, if you change your mind, the shop has no obligation to refund your deposit. They are being nice to the OP as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    You should get full refund back to your card
    However
    It can be tricky if seller shop is located outside EIRE

http://www.webmentor.ie/how-to-guides/legals/16-distance-selling-regulations-in-ireland-what-you-should-know

Why would distance selling regulations apply?

They have no obligation to return anything at all to you. Your lucky to be getting what your getting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

My bad,
    I tought was online shop (and I dont know why :o )

So yes,in this case refund as 50% on gift card and 50% back to the CC is ok

Sorry for the confusion ..

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HankSchrader

Thanks for all the replies, great help. So if I demand a full refund to my cc they can refuse?? I never actually 'owned' the item. I understand it makes sense on their behalf. It's an irish jewellery store btw. Il check out that site too, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Even if you had "owned the item" you are still not entitled to a refund should you simply change your mind, or no longer want the item.

This common misconception among people never ceases to amaze me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

You may have recourse through the unfair contract terms regs, but this is a dodge at best. Why leave a deposit for something if you're not going to purchase it - does that not defeat the very purpose of a deposit?

Ok point taken. I'll just have to settle for half my payment back.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

Ok point taken. I'll just have to settle for half my payment back.

If you are unlikely to spend the voucher in the time limit (I'm assuming there will be a time limit), then consider selling it. You'll take a bit of a hit but if you have family/friends buying jewelry there you may get away with selling it to them for face value if they feel like doing you a favour.

Best of luck.

If you are unlikely to spend the voucher in the time limit (I'm assuming there will be a time limit), then consider selling it. You'll take a bit of a hit but if you have family/friends buying jewelry there you may get away with selling it to them for face value if they feel like doing you a favour.

Best of luck.

Yeh was thinking that alright...someone will be getting a nice Christmas gift! Cheers.

Advertisement