Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Master Socket Wiring

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bullitt84

bullitt84 wrote: »
    Can I just connect main blue pair and that one from sitting room (just like electric cable extension) and moove master socket to sitting? So it will be just like extension of main line? Or Ill loose on signal?

Yes, you'll need to join them, get small cable connectors, don't twist them. Do you know anyone working for Kn or eircom, ask them for a few jelly crimps, you just squeeze them with a plyers.
    Hi!
    after a while I finally connect those cables and moved master socket into other room.
    Just to double check,if someone could confirm that i did it correctly, I connected blue pair with blue pair from socket from other room, then connect blue to L1 and blue/white to L2 on back of master socket and connect vodafone modem to master socket.
    But I have a question should I connect modem to "phone" connection or "PC" connection? I think before I had it on "phone" connection but now it doesnt really work properly and when I put it into "computer" connection is working perfectly.
    I just dont want to have extra charges from vodafone...

I know its simple thing but Im getting confused
    thanks for all help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Can I just connect main blue pair and that one from sitting room (just like electric cable extension) and moove master socket to sitting? So it will be just like extension of main line? Or Ill loose on signal?

Yes, you'll need to join them, get small cable connectors, don't twist them. Do you know anyone working for Kn or eircom, ask them for a few jelly crimps, you just squeeze them with a plyers.
    Hi!
    after a while I finally connect those cables and moved master socket into other room.
    Just to double check,if someone could confirm that i did it correctly, I connected blue pair with blue pair from socket from other room, then connect blue to L1 and blue/white to L2 on back of master socket and connect vodafone modem to master socket.
    But I have a question should I connect modem to "phone" connection or "PC" connection? I think before I had it on "phone" connection but now it doesnt really work properly and when I put it into "computer" connection is working perfectly.
    I just dont want to have extra charges from vodafone...

I know its simple thing but Im getting confused
    thanks for all help
    Unfortunately as we don't provide internal wiring I would be unable to advise on this bullitt84 :(
    An electrician should be able to check this and offer you clarification.

-Pamela 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

For original post the other pair of blue and white and orange orange white were in fact the eircom monitored alarm. This is either a new socket he's holding or the phone watch lad never did his job right in the first place. The blue white blue and orange and orange white need to be punched into the krone strips on the back of the faceplate. Then the two reististors need to be broken. When the resistors are broken it makes the current pass through the krone strips first before feeding into the splitter and coming out the front. This basically makes the alarm priority 1 then telephone and delete priority two. L1 and l2 on the back of the test socket cannot have anything other than the main cable coming in from the street carrying the line in. To add anything else in and make it a Y shaped split makes internet traffic run up that set of wires and hit the end and bounce back creating an echo which will confuse your modem. This effect is known as a bridge tap and it can severely reduce your broadband speed. This is why you have a master socket and not a bunch of sockets that all can carry broadband.
    This also answers the other question.
    To extend broadband
    You either have to make the master socket just be a slave and join the wires to a cable pair feeding to the other socket. Then if you have a pair from the other socket wire into s1 and s2 and back feed that back to the old master socket this makes the old master just a slave that does not get DSL just pstn

• Registered Users Posts: 1 christyclfc

SpaceTime wrote: »
    HI, accidently knocked my Eircom Master socket and now having internet issues.

no internet connection accept if connected directly into the test line within master socket.

Phone line working OK!

Master socket is new ADSL Eircom master socket with face plate

at face plate there are 6 wires:

2xwhite stripe on blue

2xblue stripe on white

1x white stripe on orange

1x orange stripe on white

2x blue stripe on white connected to L1

2x white stripe on blue connected to L2

R is not used and orange and white wires not connected.

is there something wrong with this wiring?

The L1 and L2 connections on the very back of the socket are where the incoming line connects.
    These should be two large screw-down terminals. There may also be S1/S2 (ignore these - they're not used in most installations)

Ignore all "R" connections too. They're for old ringer wires are are never used in modern installations at all. (Not quite sure why they still include them)

There should only be 1 pair connected there i.e. one wire to L1 and L2 on the very back of the socket. This is not the back of the face plate. They're terminals right behind the test socket (you have to remove two screws and take the socket off the wall to access them).

Depending on the type of wiring used for your line that could be all sorts of different colour combinations!
    Usually, in modern wiring it's the blue pair (blue solid colour and blue and white stripes) or else it will be the orange pair (orange solid colour + orange and white stripes).

In older wiring there were loads of different combinations.

However, two different pairs should absolutely definitely not be connected there.

Your extension wiring connects to the L1 and L2 terminals on the back of the face plate only. It should not be connected to the back of the socket itself as that's for the eircom line coming in.

Normally the internal wiring would be on the blue pair, but that's really dependent on how it's done as it's just convention. 

You should be able to sort it by trial and error really.

If you've a splitter plate (The one that has a computer symbol and a phone symbol with two sockets on the front) your modem must be connected to the socket with the computer symbol only)

This type of face plate is a central filter for DSL. Basically it passes the raw line through on the computer socket and the other socket, and the L1 / L2 terminals on the back are all filtered. So, all your other sockets would be filtered with no DSL signal on them.

----

If you need to double check if it's all working. Dial 199000 on a phone and it should read back your phone number.

Unfortunately,  I don't think there's much tech support available on this stuff at all. Maybe for e-fibre, but not for general ADSL.

Hope that's of some help!

----

PS : If you have a monitored alarm e.g. PhoneWatch you really should get a phonewatch engineer to do this. Same with ISDN or anything complicated like that as there are extra complications that are too difficult to explain here.

Phone wiring is actually very simple indeed.

Two wires (a pair) carry your phone calls + ADSL signals.
    All the other wires are just spares. Typically they put in a few extra pairs that can be used for extra lines or for looping things back where needed etc etc.

Basically:

Line comes in (2 wires only) ==== L1/L2 on back of NTU socket ===== Extension wiring connected to L1/L2 on back of faceplate.

The big heap of spare pairs tends to make it look much more complicated than it actually is.

One other possibly is that you might have damaged the socket while knocking it off physically. Might explain the problems.

Get onto the number above though!
    Hi there 
    I was wondering could you help me? I saw your post about the master eir socket. I want to move my modem to another phone socket, the cable is coiled up in box at master socket, am I right in saying L1 & L2 on the face plate is a DSL signal? So I can just connect into these and then plug my modem into the new socket? Or do I need a another master socket? Thanks

Advertisement