Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Master Socket Wiring

• 09-10-2013 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

HI, accidently knocked my Eircom Master socket and now having internet issues.

no internet connection accept if connected directly into the test line within master socket.

Phone line working OK!

Master socket is new ADSL Eircom master socket with face plate

at face plate there are 6 wires:

2xwhite stripe on blue

2xblue stripe on white

1x white stripe on orange

1x orange stripe on white

2x blue stripe on white connected to L1

2x white stripe on blue connected to L2

R is not used and orange and white wires not connected.

is there something wrong with this wiring?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

no internet connection accept if connected directly into the test line within master socket.

Phone line working OK!

2xwhite stripe on blue

2xblue stripe on white

Hi morris2john

We would not be able to offer the level of support this requires from here I'm sorry to say.

The best advice I can offer is to contact eircom technical support on 1890260260.

Thanks

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Phone line working OK!

2xwhite stripe on blue

2xblue stripe on white

The L1 and L2 connections on the very back of the socket are where the incoming line connects.
    These should be two large screw-down terminals. There may also be S1/S2 (ignore these - they're not used in most installations)

Ignore all "R" connections too. They're for old ringer wires are are never used in modern installations at all. (Not quite sure why they still include them)

There should only be 1 pair connected there i.e. one wire to L1 and L2 on the very back of the socket. This is not the back of the face plate. They're terminals right behind the test socket (you have to remove two screws and take the socket off the wall to access them).

Depending on the type of wiring used for your line that could be all sorts of different colour combinations!
    Usually, in modern wiring it's the blue pair (blue solid colour and blue and white stripes) or else it will be the orange pair (orange solid colour + orange and white stripes).

In older wiring there were loads of different combinations.

However, two different pairs should absolutely definitely not be connected there.

Your extension wiring connects to the L1 and L2 terminals on the back of the face plate only. It should not be connected to the back of the socket itself as that's for the eircom line coming in.

Normally the internal wiring would be on the blue pair, but that's really dependent on how it's done as it's just convention. 

You should be able to sort it by trial and error really.

If you've a splitter plate (The one that has a computer symbol and a phone symbol with two sockets on the front) your modem must be connected to the socket with the computer symbol only)

This type of face plate is a central filter for DSL. Basically it passes the raw line through on the computer socket and the other socket, and the L1 / L2 terminals on the back are all filtered. So, all your other sockets would be filtered with no DSL signal on them.

----

If you need to double check if it's all working. Dial 199000 on a phone and it should read back your phone number.

Unfortunately,  I don't think there's much tech support available on this stuff at all. Maybe for e-fibre, but not for general ADSL.

Hope that's of some help!

----

PS : If you have a monitored alarm e.g. PhoneWatch you really should get a phonewatch engineer to do this. Same with ISDN or anything complicated like that as there are extra complications that are too difficult to explain here.

Phone wiring is actually very simple indeed.

Two wires (a pair) carry your phone calls + ADSL signals.
    All the other wires are just spares. Typically they put in a few extra pairs that can be used for extra lines or for looping things back where needed etc etc.

Basically:

Line comes in (2 wires only) ==== L1/L2 on back of NTU socket ===== Extension wiring connected to L1/L2 on back of faceplate.

The big heap of spare pairs tends to make it look much more complicated than it actually is.

One other possibly is that you might have damaged the socket while knocking it off physically. Might explain the problems.

Get onto the number above though!

Hi SpaceTime

Really appreciate your help on this. 

Thanks

Al

No problem.

Al: 

Was wondering could you actually feed back that it might be worth simplifying the NTU a bit as a lot of times people are left in a position where the have to do DIY work.

Just perhaps something like getting rid of the superfluous R-terminals which aren't used anymore at all and perhaps labelling them with "EXTENSION WIRING HERE:"

INCOMING EIRCOM LINE ONLY HERE:

Maybe even colour coding the terminals.

There's very little info on how they should be wired and in most cases people are doing them DIY style, except where E-fibre's installed.

Even where it is installed, it needs to be a bit clearer as to where people should connect extension wiring (i.e. back of face plate). Otherwise, you'll have lots of tech support issues if people connect extension wiring straight to the line messing up the VDSL signals.

I just think making it a bit more straight forward for end users might avoid a lot of technical issues that occur with broadband.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    No problem.

Al: 

Was wondering could you actually feed back that it might be worth simplifying the NTU a bit as a lot of times people are left in a position where the have to do DIY work.

Just perhaps something like getting rid of the superfluous R-terminals which aren't used anymore at all and perhaps labelling them with "EXTENSION WIRING HERE:"

There's very little info on how they should be wired and in most cases people are doing them DIY style, except where E-fibre's installed.

Even where it is installed, it needs to be a bit clearer as to where people should connect extension wiring (i.e. back of face plate). Otherwise, you'll have lots of tech support issues if people connect extension wiring straight to the line messing up the VDSL signals.

I just think making it a bit more straight forward for end users might avoid a lot of technical issues that occur with broadband.
    Hi SpaceTime

I certainly will feed this back. I'll also forward this thread to operations.

I agree, simplifying this makes alot of sense to me.

Thanks again spacetime

Al

• Advertisement

No problem.

Al: 

Hi SpaceTime

Thanks again spacetime

Al
    I've nothing to do with eircom operations but I've had to do this several times myself over the years and have gradually figured it out! :D

My job does mean I know my way around a bit of structured wiring though!

No problem.

Al: 

Hi SpaceTime

Thanks again spacetime

Al
    I've nothing to do with eircom operations but I've had to do this several times myself over the years and have gradually figured it out! :D

My job does mean I know my way around a bit of structured wiring though!
    and it's greatly aprreciated spacetime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 morris2john

Phone line working OK!

2xwhite stripe on blue

2xblue stripe on white

The L1 and L2 connections on the very back of the socket are where the incoming line connects.
    These should be two large screw-down terminals. There may also be S1/S2 (ignore these - they're not used in most installations)

Ignore all "R" connections too. They're for old ringer wires are are never used in modern installations at all. (Not quite sure why they still include them)

There should only be 1 pair connected there i.e. one wire to L1 and L2 on the very back of the socket. This is not the back of the face plate. They're terminals right behind the test socket (you have to remove two screws and take the socket off the wall to access them).

Depending on the type of wiring used for your line that could be all sorts of different colour combinations!
    Usually, in modern wiring it's the blue pair (blue solid colour and blue and white stripes) or else it will be the orange pair (orange solid colour + orange and white stripes).

However, two different pairs should absolutely definitely not be connected there.

Your extension wiring connects to the L1 and L2 terminals on the back of the face plate only. It should not be connected to the back of the socket itself as that's for the eircom line coming in.

Normally the internal wiring would be on the blue pair, but that's really dependent on how it's done as it's just convention. 

If you've a splitter plate (The one that has a computer symbol and a phone symbol with two sockets on the front) your modem must be connected to the socket with the computer symbol only)

This type of face plate is a central filter for DSL. Basically it passes the raw line through on the computer socket and the other socket, and the L1 / L2 terminals on the back are all filtered. So, all your other sockets would be filtered with no DSL signal on them.

----

If you need to double check if it's all working. Dial 199000 on a phone and it should read back your phone number.

Unfortunately,  I don't think there's much tech support available on this stuff at all. Maybe for e-fibre, but not for general ADSL.

----

PS : If you have a monitored alarm e.g. PhoneWatch you really should get a phonewatch engineer to do this. Same with ISDN or anything complicated like that as there are extra complications that are too difficult to explain here.

All the other wires are just spares. Typically they put in a few extra pairs that can be used for extra lines or for looping things back where needed etc etc.

Basically:

Line comes in (2 wires only) ==== L1/L2 on back of NTU socket ===== Extension wiring connected to L1/L2 on back of faceplate.

The big heap of spare pairs tends to make it look much more complicated than it actually is.

One other possibly is that you might have damaged the socket while knocking it off physically. Might explain the problems.

Hey Spacetime,

firstly, I really appreciate your help with this issue. unfortunately having tried to resolve the issue myself I have come to the realisation that I may not get to the bottom of this one.
    we have a monitored eircom alarm also so this is adding to the confusion.
    very good point regarding redundant/confusing R connections etc. it would be great if they simplified things to compensate falling short RE  tech support!
    this is all very new to me but have learnt a bit today!

thanks again.
    john

Phone line working OK!

2xwhite stripe on blue

2xblue stripe on white

----

----

Basically:

Hey Spacetime,

firstly, I really appreciate your help with this issue. unfortunately having tried to resolve the issue myself I have come to the realisation that I may not get to the bottom of this one.
    very good point regarding redundant/confusing R connections etc. it would be great if they simplified things to compensate falling short RE  tech support!

thanks again.
    john
    If you have a monitored alarm, there's extra wiring involved as the line goes through the NTU and filter, back to the alarm and then back to the NTU again.

You'd really need to get PhoneWatch or whoever your monitored alarm company is to come out and look at it.

The faceplate has some extra circuitry for monitored alarms and they actually reconfigure it slightly by removing some links. So, definitely get onto them as your alarm may not be working either.

Phone line working OK!

2xwhite stripe on blue

2xblue stripe on white

----

----

Basically:

Hey Spacetime,

thanks again.
    john
    If you have a monitored alarm, there's extra wiring involved as the line goes through the NTU and filter, back to the alarm and then back to the NTU again.

You'd really need to get PhoneWatch or whoever your monitored alarm company is to come out and look at it.

The faceplate has some extra circuitry for monitored alarms and they actually reconfigure it slightly by removing some links. So, definitely get onto them as your alarm may not be working either.
    Hey Spacetime,

again thanks a million for time.
    I have come to the conclusion that it must be an issue with the extension wiring or perhaps the face plate may need to be replaced?
    our house is definitely monitored by eircom but the faceplate doesnt look to be too complex in terms of wiring.
    in fact, id say if I had the 1st idea about this stuff it might be a relatively simple thing.
    I have attached a photo which might make it a bit clearer.

• Advertisement

Phone line working OK!

2xwhite stripe on blue

2xblue stripe on white

----

----

Basically:

Hey Spacetime,

thanks again.
    john

Hey Spacetime,

again thanks a million for time.
    I have come to the conclusion that it must be an issue with the extension wiring or perhaps the face plate may need to be replaced?
    our house is definitely monitored by eircom but the faceplate doesnt look to be too complex in terms of wiring.
    in fact, id say if I had the 1st idea about this stuff it might be a relatively simple thing.
    I have attached a photo which might make it a bit clearer.
    this one might be a bit clearer!

Is that a filtered faceplate?

i.e. there's two sockets?

If so, ensure that your modem is definitely plugged into the LEFT socket which should be marked with a computer symbol embossed into the plastic above it.

The other socket is filtered and will not pass a DSL signal through.

275199.jpg

The wiring in the photo looks probably correct. If you're getting a dial tone on all your extension sockets it should be fine.

Also:

Are both of those blue pairs feeding extension sockets?

If either of them is the incoming line, it should be connected to two terminals BEHIND the test socket. You'll find them if you remove the two screws and (like the type that hold in a light switch plate on either side of the test socket).

The incoming line should be connected to the very back of the socket and the extension wiring to the face plate terminals marked L1 and L2.

Is that a filtered faceplate?

i.e. there's two sockets?

If so, ensure that your modem is definitely plugged into the LEFT socket which should be marked with a computer symbol embossed into the plastic above it.

The other socket is filtered and will not pass a DSL signal through.

275199.jpg

The wiring in the photo looks probably correct. If you're getting a dial tone on all your extension sockets it should be fine.

Also:

Are both of those blue pairs feeding extension sockets?

If either of them is the incoming line, it should be connected to two terminals BEHIND the test socket. You'll find them if you remove the two screws and (like the type that hold in a light switch plate on either side of the test socket).

The incoming line should be connected to the very back of the socket and the extension wiring to the face plate terminals marked L1 and L2.
    Hey, 

Sorry I should have mentioned at the beginning that I checked the very back of the socket by removing the back panel screws and both appear to be connected correctly! 

The face plate I have is the filtered one and having removed the extension wiring I can confirm that there is a dial tone. 

The issue I guess must be with the extension wiring which I have snipped and paired back a little and reengaged.  Still at this point the internet is not working. 

Originally I thought I may have  knocked out the orange wires but realise now that they probably don't serve a purpose. 

Perhaps the face plate itself may be faulty or either one of the blue pairs of wires are faulty. 

Just out if interest, does it matter how you put the wires in? I.e should I twist them together and stick them in or should I put them in side by side? 

Thanks
    John

Just as long as they're properly exposed copper at the tips it should be fine and make sure you don't short them together.

Could be alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gerryom

SpaceTime

I realise this is an old thread but it caught my eye when I was browsing for a solution to my issue,
    What are S1 AND S2 for? I need to extend my network out to my garage, I cant get a new cable to the back of my router but there is a spare pair left in the cable going to the back of socket which will get me up to my attic and from there I can go to my garage with ease.
    I was led to believe I could connect this pair to the back of the socket and run to a new socket in the garage where I could plug in a new router, but I cant remember which two terminals the guy said to connect to?
    Do you think this will work?
    All help greatfully accepted.
    Thanks.

Gerryom. 

S1 and S2 are for an optional second line.

Only wire to L1 and L2 which are the primary line and the only two terminals you need to use.

Ignore the R terminals too. They are only used for wiring very old rotary dial phones. Actually I've no idea why they keep including them. It's just confusing.

Basically just connect your extensions to L1 and L2 on the back of the face plate.

If it's a filtered face plate, you will only get a DSL signal from the modem socket on the front or, by connecting directly to the line before it enters the NTU socket on the back plate.
    The filter plates are designed to filter all the attached extensions, assuming they're all connected to the L1 and L2 connectors on the back of the faceplate.

If you're using efibre, consider relocating the filter socket to where the modem is being put (use good quality twisted pair cable only : eg CAT5 or 6)

You can degrade the signal by complicating the wiring and not filtering at the first connection.

Basically
    Pair 1 : connecting to L1 and L2 on backplate bringing the line in.

Pair 2 : connecting to L1 and L2 on back of face plate feeding your extensions.

Plug modem directly into the faceplate socket.

If that's too complicated, run cat 5 from the back of the socket to the modem. Do not connect any phones to this or use plug in DSL filters. The NTU should be the only filter needed.
    It's not ideal, eircom won't support it but it might work fine.

Only wire to L1 and L2 which are the primary line and the only two terminals you need to use.

Ignore the R terminals too. They are only used for wiring very old rotary dial phones. Actually I've no idea why they keep including them. It's just confusing.

Basically just connect your extensions to L1 and L2 on the back of the face plate.

If it's a filtered face plate, you will only get a DSL signal from the modem socket on the front or, by connecting directly to the line before it enters the NTU socket on the back plate.
    The filter plates are designed to filter all the attached extensions, assuming they're all connected to the L1 and L2 connectors on the back of the faceplate.

If you're using efibre, consider relocating the filter socket to where the modem is being put (use good quality twisted pair cable only : eg CAT5 or 6)

You can degrade the signal by complicating the wiring and not filtering at the first connection.

Basically

If that's too complicated, run cat 5 from the back of the socket to the modem. Do not connect any phones to this or use plug in DSL filters. The NTU should be the only filter needed.
    I think we are  on the same page but just to be sure, It is E-fibre I am using, I have my  modem ( I was calling router) installed in the hallway in my house, As I cant get a cable from the modem out to my garage (office) to connect a second modem  I was going to use a second pair in the original incoming cable to go back up to the attic and then out to the garage via a new cat 5 cable, there I would put a new socket on the wall which I would plug my second modem into and create a second wifi zone.
    So if I understand what your telling me I should connect this pair to the L1 and L2 on the face plate and then run this to the garage, where I would connect to my second modem?
     the reason I don't want to move my original modem to the attic which would make this issue  much easier to solve is that I would loose a lot of my wifi signal in the house if I do.
    I know eircom may not exactly agree with this but if it works I am happy!

Thanks again for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

gerryom wrote: »

Basically

I think we are  on the same page but just to be sure, It is E-fibre I am using, I have my  modem ( I was calling router) installed in the hallway in my house, As I cant get a cable from the modem out to my garage (office) to connect a second modem  I was going to use a second pair in the original incoming cable to go back up to the attic and then out to the garage via a new cat 5 cable, there I would put a new socket on the wall which I would plug my second modem into and create a second wifi zone.
    So if I understand what your telling me I should connect this pair to the L1 and L2 on the face plate and then run this to the garage, where I would connect to my second modem?
     the reason I don't want to move my original modem to the attic which would make this issue  much easier to solve is that I would loose a lot of my wifi signal in the house if I do.

No no no. Cant do that. Cant have two modems on the same line. 

What you want is a network(ethernet) extension, NOT a phone extension(for ADSL/VDSL).

For 100Mbs ethernet you need 2xpairs, for 1000Mbps you need 4xpairs. You probably dont have 4 spare pairs in the existing run so if about 80Mbps to the garage is enough, take two of those pairs and extend them out to an RJ45 faceplate beside the eircom master socket. Run cat5e from the other end in the attic to another RJ45 faceplate there. Then connect the first faceplace to the back of the modem(ports 1-4) with an ethernet patch and add a wireless AP(router in AP mode) in the garage in the same way. 

This will give you
    Eircom---VDSL(eFibre)---Modem--(ethernet)---AP_Garage--(wifi)---Your Devices.

ED E wrote: »
    gerryom wrote: »

Basically

No no no. Cant do that. Cant have two modems on the same line. 

What you want is a network(ethernet) extension, NOT a phone extension(for ADSL/VDSL).

For 100Mbs ethernet you need 2xpairs, for 1000Mbps you need 4xpairs. You probably dont have 4 spare pairs in the existing run so if about 80Mbps to the garage is enough, take two of those pairs and extend them out to an RJ45 faceplate beside the eircom master socket. Run cat5e from the other end in the attic to another RJ45 faceplate there. Then connect the first faceplace to the back of the modem(ports 1-4) with an ethernet patch and add a wireless AP(router in AP mode) in the garage in the same way. 

This will give you
    Eircom---VDSL(eFibre)---Modem--(ethernet)---AP_Garage--(wifi)---Your Devices.
    OK
    First off I only have line speed of 28/30 mbps, not exactly what the ad tells you I know, secondly I think I only have one spare pair in the existing run, I need to check that again when I get home, if that's the case do I still have this option bearing my lower speeds in mind?
    Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭pmce4

Phone line working OK!

2xwhite stripe on blue

2xblue stripe on white

----

----

Basically:

Hey Spacetime,

thanks again.
    john
    your incoming phone signal will be coming in at a 50 volts supply, get hold of a voltage tester and test the wires in combination until you find the 50 volts signal. then these are your incoming phone cables.

• Advertisement

1) You absolutely cannot have two modems on the same line. It's just not technically possible.

You should have 1 modem connected to the NTU and no other DSL devices at all.

2) If you have a monitored alarm, it adds a whole load of complications and the NTU has got wiring that allows it to sieze the line ahead of the extensions 

If you've a monitored alarm, you're going to have to call your monitoring company to get that resolved. It's far more complicated than a normal phone line wiring setup and I couldn't even really explain it here without diagrams. There also isn't a 'standard way' of doing things and the colour codes aren't always followed. You can use any colour pair to do anything. So, really you need an alarm installer to check that aspect over.

3) It's FAR easier to not move your modem and leave it connected to the NTU in the original location.

Ideally, you shouldn't be messing around with the eircom wiring and should instead build an ethernet network. If you can run CAT6 to your garage, and connect that to one of the ethernet ports on the modem, you would have a far better solution than fiddling around with the phone lines.

Ideally, the modem should be directly connected to the NTU socket, which should be pretty much where the phone line comes into the house. You don't want to add complications with VDSL as it's very, very sensitive to line noise and length.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bullitt84

Hi All!

All the informations that You put are very helpful but I have a question how to get DSL in the other socket?
    My master socket is now in the hall (its pre-filtered socket) and there I have connected router but I want to have it in sitting room without running cable from master socket to sitting room.

How should I do it, any ideas?

appreciate help!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

bullitt84 wrote: »
    Hi All!

All the informations that You put are very helpful but I have a question how to get DSL in the other socket?
    My master socket is now in the hall (its pre-filtered socket) and there I have connected router but I want to have it in sitting room without running cable from master socket to sitting room.

appreciate help!!!

Completely depends on how your house is cabled, it may be as simple as redirecting your main pair or may not be possible if you have monitored alarm. Need more details and pics

Hi All!

appreciate help!!!

Completely depends on how your house is cabled, it may be as simple as redirecting your main pair or may not be possible if you have monitored alarm. Need more details and pics
    Dont have an alarm.
    Main pair (blue,blue/white) it connected to L1, L2 port in the back plate and Ive connected sitting room pair (also blue, blue/white) into L1, L2 sockets on front plate, but no internet connection in sitting room only phone.

How can I redirect main pair?

Forgot to mention that Im in Vodafone but Im guessing it doesn't change anything

Hi All!

appreciate help!!!

Dont have an alarm.
    Main pair (blue,blue/white) it connected to L1, L2 port in the back plate and Ive connected sitting room pair (also blue, blue/white) into L1, L2 sockets on front plate, but no internet connection in sitting room only phone.

Forgot to mention that Im in Vodafone but Im guessing it doesn't change anything
    Are you certain it's the same cable and not looped through another socket? You'll need to move the NTU, You need to redirect it by joining the cables connecting to L1 and L2 on the back plate to the orange pair going to the sitting room. Then you'll need to backfeed from the sitting room on the blue pair by connecting the blue pair the L1 and L2 on the front plate and wiring a single faceplate to the blues where the NTU used to be

Thanks for all your input here guys!

Al

Hi All!

appreciate help!!!

Dont have an alarm.

Are you certain it's the same cable and not looped through another socket? You'll need to move the NTU, You need to redirect it by joining the cables connecting to L1 and L2 on the back plate to the orange pair going to the sitting room. Then you'll need to backfeed from the sitting room on the blue pair by connecting the blue pair the L1 and L2 on the front plate and wiring a single faceplate to the blues where the NTU used to be
    Can I just connect main blue pair and that one from sitting room (just like electric cable extension) and moove master socket to sitting? So it will be just like extension of main line? Or Ill loose on signal?

Can I just connect main blue pair and that one from sitting room (just like electric cable extension) and moove master socket to sitting? So it will be just like extension of main line? Or Ill loose on signal?

Yes, you'll need to join them, get small cable connectors, don't twist them. Do you know anyone working for Kn or eircom, ask them for a few jelly crimps, you just squeeze them with a plyers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

call bbtech to get a tech out to replace the socket if it is damaged

• Advertisement

call bbtech to get a tech out to replace the socket if it is damaged
    That's correct Bog Standard User - Techncial support can be contacted on WebChat here: www.eircom.ie/chatnow or on Locall 1890260260

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement