Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October Cat Show

• 09-10-2013 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

60th Anniversary show on in Maldron Hotel Tallaght on 20th October 2013. Entries to show closed.(always close 4 weeks prior to shows) but open to public 12 noon to 4.30 p.m.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

And if anyone goes they can meet my Dudester :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Ooooh, we should do a mini forum meetup! I want the kitty cuddles!!! ;)

That's a great idea :) Dude would love to meet everyone on here and have cuddles :D

Just thought I would add this here in case anyone is thinking of coming!

catshow_zpsf8fcae00.jpg

Started Dude's getting ready routine today, little eejit walked across the coal bunker yesterday and got his lovely white socks all black!! Hoping I won't have to resort to giving him a bath :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

What are the times? Are there better times to go?

• Advertisement

It's open to the public from 12 til 4.30, as for what time to go I would say the best time would be just when it opens to the public if you want to get a good view of the cats comfortably, I've never been to this show before but some others I've been to get very packed around 2-3. But if you want to talk to breeders maybe leave it a little later, we have to leave the room after settling the cats for judging to take place so sometimes people don't come back for a couple of hours. Personally I would be there all day I couldn't leave Dude on his own for any longer than what's necessary!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 southdu

Regarding times, if you were particularly interested in viewing the cats, straight after opening time would be good. If you didn't want to stay for the whole thing there is prizegiving at about 3.30p.m., best in show etc., There will also be a special kid's corner with facepainting and painting pictures and prizes. Hope this helps. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

It's open to the public from 12 til 4.30, as for what time to go I would say the best time would be just when it opens to the public if you want to get a good view of the cats comfortably, I've never been to this show before but some others I've been to get very packed around 2-3. But if you want to talk to breeders maybe leave it a little later, we have to leave the room after settling the cats for judging to take place so sometimes people don't come back for a couple of hours. Personally I would be there all day I couldn't leave Dude on his own for any longer than what's necessary!!

Is it not like a dog show where the cats are on leads. how do people show their cats.
    Just wondering, I was never at a cat show before.

Oh god I've mental images of cats being dragged around on leads, that would be so funny! :pac: No it's not like that at all, the cats are all placed in individual pens then the owners leave the room, the judges go around with a steward and take each cat out, examine them and put them back in their pen. Then there are some shows where the cats are brought by their owners to a judging ring where they are placed in another pen, taken out by the judge and examined in front of the audience. I think this show is a mixture of the 2, I'm not entirely certain! At the end of it all then there is the best in show - the best cat from each category (ie. persian, semi longhair, exotic, oriental, household pet) is taken up to the top and placed in a best in show ring where they are all examined again by all the judges, then the reserve best in show and the best in show pedigree and household pet is awarded. I think that's how it all goes anyway, I only started showing this year so I could be wrong!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

lol thank you for clearing that up for me. I'd love to go up and experience it. its getting someone to go with me is the challenge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

It should be a great show, its one of my favourites.
    A great chance to met breeds and talk to owners and breeders. Some will allow their cats to be cuddled, others will allow cats to be petted in the pen.
    Best to ask owners if you want a pet or to take a photo (no flash allowed), most will happily oblige.
    I should be there with a Coon who is very happy to have belly rubs and sometimes little cuddles with the public, everyone loves him especially men who have been dragged there by their wives.
    If you want to meet a sphynx this is the show, the best kissing, cuddling boy will be there and he will change anyones wrong opinions on the breed.
    The household pet section is great as some of the kittens/cats have some stories behind them and its wonderful to see them in their new lives and on show.

Most exhibitors are so happy to cat/breed/ rescue talk all day so if this is your deal then come along. :-)

It should be a great show, its one of my favourites.
    A great chance to met breeds and talk to owners and breeders. Some will allow their cats to be cuddled, others will allow cats to be petted in the pen.
    Best to ask owners if you want a pet or to take a photo (no flash allowed), most will happily oblige.
    I should be there with a Coon who is very happy to have belly rubs and sometimes little cuddles with the public, everyone loves him especially men who have been dragged there by their wives.
    If you want to meet a sphynx this is the show, the best kissing, cuddling boy will be there and he will change anyones wrong opinions on the breed.
    The household pet section is great as some of the kittens/cats have some stories behind them and its wonderful to see them in their new lives and on show.

Most exhibitors are so happy to cat/breed/ rescue talk all day so if this is your deal then come along. :-)

Does that mean Fred will be there? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Does that mean Fred will be there? :D

Maybe.... unless a 2 legged kitten causes us not to be there. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 southdu

Tica run shows that can last over 2 days with their own format. The October show is under GCCFI rules and is run by SABCCI and is one day only. First thing in the morning, the cat is vetted in and if passed will be penned by the owner. Judging commences at about 10 a.m with only judges and stewards present - this may change. The cats in a class will be removed from pens one by one by a handling steward and the judge will peruse. Decisions will be made and result list sent to the 'table' - rosettes will be allocated from the list by the 'table' and volunteers will pin them on cat's pen and a list of results will be pinned on results board. Some cats will accumulate many rosettes during the judging as they rise in the ranks! The overall winner of each separate class of its breed i.e the best Siamese the best Persian are then against each other in a final decision for Best in Show. The presentation of cups usually takes place at about 3.p.m. The cats are left in their pens until end of show unless owners get special permission from Show Manager to remove them from the room - to go home!

Advertisement