Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2014 - where to go?

• 09-10-2013 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi never been on a j1 before hopefully will get to head next summer! will be 19 at time of travel just wondering whats it like doing it alone and where all the j1 hotspots will be in 2014.....cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 elz10

There are loads of threads for J1ing on your own, you can even find people to go with or others looking for people to share accommodation. Are you planning on going east coast or west coast? I went to Ocean City in 2012... it was amazing!! we had a house right on the beach, there were about 28 of us in total but we all had beds. The house was split up like apartments sort of. All of us got jobs BUT the earlier you go the better chance you have of getting one and finding good accommodation. I only knew one girl going and she knew a few more. Lots of other Irish lived with us and we are all still really good friends.

I think wherever you go you will enjoy it, you may be a bit restricted in getting jobs and getting into night clubs though because you are U21 so check how strict the area you are going to is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cwalsh95

Think I might go east coast been looking at New York a good bit only problem really is finding somewhere both cheap and ideally located......have heard good stories re ocean city flightwise how would you get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 eniko

I have been in oc too in the last two years. now im trying to go to california. Wherever u go it`s gonna be awesome :)

And i just find a question. Does anyone here know any website where i can sreach for j1 jobs in san diego?

elz10 wrote: »
    There are loads of threads for J1ing on your own, you can even find people to go with or others looking for people to share accommodation. Are you planning on going east coast or west coast? I went to Ocean City in 2012... it was amazing!! we had a house right on the beach, there were about 28 of us in total but we all had beds. The house was split up like apartments sort of. All of us got jobs BUT the earlier you go the better chance you have of getting one and finding good accommodation. I only knew one girl going and she knew a few more. Lots of other Irish lived with us and we are all still really good friends.

I think wherever you go you will enjoy it, you may be a bit restricted in getting jobs and getting into night clubs though because you are U21 so check how strict the area you are going to is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Surrkaa

Hey! I'm gonna go for one this summer too. I'll on be 20 but it's the only time I can go really. Was thinking San Fran. Anyone been there? Any advice or info anyone has about it? At what stage would I need to be sorting out my visa and all that? Sorry I've so many questions .. just so damn excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aisling_AOK

Hey :)
    Me and my 2 friends wanna head to O.C. this summer as well.To anyone who went there before: how did ye find accommodation there, i'd say we'd be looking to find people to share an apartment/house with - the more the merrier and the cheaper! :) Also how sunny is it there?? :) go raibh míle!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 lizlemon16

I went to New York last summer by myself and was 19. I met a really nice bunch of irish J1ers before I left and we shared accom in queens. Such a good experience, I'd definitely recommend NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 emerboyce

Anyone interested in doing the J1 Ocean City for this summer join this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/460162934095553/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shinty6

Hey lads.

I've been taking the last month to consider my options on where to go on the J1. I'll be travelling on my own, mostly for a change of scenery, partly because friends have decided against it, but I'm still adamant on heading over. I am however stuck on where to go for the J1. I've been told New York, Chicago, San Fran, Huntington, Ocean City etc. But the main explanation I get from everyone is simply "Because it's good craic". Which, let's face it, just won't do really.

I'm just looking to hear from anyone who has been over on their own, or in fact anyone who has anything positive to add about where they have visited on their J1s. Doesn't have to be in any of the cities mentioned, if you've gone anywhere out of the norm for the J1 please, do chime in. Looking to gather what info I can from others before I do finally decide where I want to go!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Farrell555

Hi shinty6,
    I spent my J1 in Huntington Beach last year. It was ok. I had a good(ish) time but there are better places more suited to me. However, some people I met there absolutely loved it.
    Anyway, the details: In short, Huntington Beach is for people who enjoy partying, drinking, smoking and hanging out on the beach. It is NOT for quiet people who are more interested in the cultural aspects of visiting foreign countries. I found out after the summer that I fall into the latter category. I spent one week in Chicago and had more fun there than I did in the entire 3 months in Huntington Beach. Chicago has everything. excellent transport*, skyscrapers, parks, lakes, beaches, VERY HOT WEATHER, clubs, pubs, jazz clubs, blues clubs, house clubs (historically a music hub), baseball teams, basketball teams, football teams, major shopping areas, great restaurants. EVERYTHING. I know it’s not somewhere different but it honestly has something for everybody! The people are great too!
    So my advice to you is to think hard about what you want to get out of the summer. I had no idea before I went and regret not spending more time researching destinations. If you know what you want then find a place that will give it to you. This was the harshest lesson I learned last summer and will decide if you have a good holiday or not.
    I think you already kind of know this shinty6 and I can only commend you on wanting to go somewhere different. Running into lots of Irish was definitely one of, if not THE worst thing about Huntington Beach. I also wanted to go somewhere different last year but didn’t and I regret it so much! I travelled alone to Chicago and I can honestly say it is the best thing I have ever done.
    I hope this helps and happy researching!!
    *I found myself severely restricted in Huntington Beach from lack of public transport. This was one of the main reasons I did not like it as I couldn’t explore, let alone visit friends or even go to the large shopping centres!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kellyd87

Pretty good blog written by people who went on a J1 previously, might give you some ideas on where to go?? http://thestudentsguidetothegalaxy.wordpress.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 rtcsof

Hi shinty6, where did you decide on going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kefflin

Spent a summer in Ocean city maryland. Had a great time. The beauty of it is jobs and accommadation are plentiful and its easy to get to places like washington baltimore philly and new york from there. People usually fly to NYC or washington

Advertisement