Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a camper what size engine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

we've had this discussion loads here , and the cdonsensus is that the 1.0 is just about adequate , but not really comfortable. You'll see the 2.8 is much more sought after in that era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    we've had this discussion loads here , and the cdonsensus is that the 1.0 is just about adequate , but not really comfortable.

1.0 - a cinquecento camper :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

You need to look at HP not engine size.
    A 1.9 diesel could be anywhere from 70HP to 170hp.

My 6 berth is 2.2 diesel 130hp and is just about enough.
    It will do 130 on the motorway if you are crazy enough but cruses fine at 110 but you will be down a gear on steep hills. I wouldn't mind more power but i don't need it.

My last van was 2.8L but only 100HP (older engine)

Dont forget bigger engines usually have bigger appetite for fuel.

nailer8 wrote: »
    You need to look at HP not engine size.
    A 1.9 diesel could be anywhere from 70HP to 170hp.

My 6 berth is 2.2 diesel 130hp and is just about enough.
    It will do 130 on the motorway if you are crazy enough but cruses fine at 110 but you will be down a gear on steep hills. I wouldn't mind more power but i don't need it.

My last van was 2.8L but only 100HP (older engine)

Any redneck will tell you with diesel its all abut the torque. You'll spend most of your time around 1800-2500 revs where the torque is.

bigger engine =/ more fuel if the engine is undersized anyone thats driven a 1.9td motorhome will tell you that or even a 1.4 ford focus at that.

nailer8 wrote: »

Depends more on power to weight ratio than size really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

paddyp wrote: »
    Any redneck will tell you with diesel its all abut the torque.

True on the torque but you are getting a bit technical, most sellers wont have a clue what the torque is. Most people can tell you what horse power they have and by and large more horse power will roughly equate more torque.

Fair point on undersized engines. Fuel usage is more proportionate to weight & speed really.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Have a 1.9TD and it is plenty big enough for a 4 berth. Its made it up and over plenty mountains in this country fully loaded up.

Most of these are large, high-sided vehicles that are not built for massive speed anyway. And don't forget most of time you use it you are in relaxation mode - so it doesn't really matter if you get to travel at 90-100 or 120kph!

And remember most of the scenic places you will be visiting in Ireland are not exactly on motorways - its not like you can hammer along regional roads.

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Have a 1.9TD and it is plenty big enough for a 4 berth. Its made it up and over plenty mountains in this country fully loaded up.

Most of these are large, high-sided vehicles that are not built for massive speed anyway. And don't forget most of time you use it you are in relaxation mode - so it doesn't really matter if you get to travel at 90-100 or 120kph!

And remember most of the scenic places you will be visiting in Ireland are not exactly on motorways - its not like you can hammer along regional roads.

My point was the mpg you'd get 20%- 30% better mpg from the 2.8tdi.

I think a great example of torque vs hp is my neighbours volkswagen amarok, 2.0 liter 120hp but 340nm of torque which is the same as my 3 liter toyota.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Fair enough, but I was just responding to the OP who is looking for a compact 4 berth and I would think 1.9 is probably sufficient - depending on the type of use of course.

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Fair enough, but I was just responding to the OP who is looking for a compact 4 berth and I would think 1.9 is probably sufficient - depending on the type of use of course.

Sorry got a bit side tracked i agree sufficient for getting around in a reasonable fashion. If you're more of a first off at the lights kind of driver than a potterer not the engine for you.

• Advertisement

paddyp wrote: »
    If you're more of a first off at the lights kind of driver than a potterer not the engine for you.

Depends more on reflexes than size really. :D

Depends more on reflexes than size really. :D
    Well maybe first off, not first accross the junction though :-p

Indeed.
    I get people indignantly burning past me all the time with incredulosity at the slow but even progress I make between red lights so I don't have to change gear. They invariably accelerate to brake immediately and more often than not I end up 3-5 cars ahead because I don't have to work the gears, I know how to pick my lane and have the height on them to see where the gaps are. Mwahaha! White van driver in slow mo.!
    In my defense I maintain left and pull over all the time I'm not wrecking heads deliberately.

Anyways back on topic I'd go for the most fuel efficient engine for the model you are looking at that'll be the most suitable for the chassis.

Advertisement