Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streaming Question

• 09-10-2013 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Anyone know why I can stream HD quality shows from Netflix without a hitch, but when I try to stream local HD content, it buffers a lot?

I'm using the plex client for local content, and it reports a bandwidth of 2MB.

Why is this? I'm on UPC 30 meg package, and have the cisco router.

Comments

What is the Plex server running on (specs?) and how are the Plex server and client connected to the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭str|ct9

What is the Plex server running on (specs?) and how are the Plex server and client connected to the router?

Plex is running on a Mac mini. i5 2.5 ghz. 8 gig ram. They're connected wirelessly.

Same with the client. Roku box (nowtv version) connected wirelessly as well.

Even stuff that doesn't have to be transcoded ends up buffering if quality (size) is too high. I don't get how it has no problem with the likes of Netflix but anything HD locally causes problems :/

The plex client is reporting bandwidth of 2 MB as well. I've no idea how its getting that number

We talk about bandwidth in Mbps. Please confirm if you mean 2MB/s (16Mbps) or 2Mbps.

We talk about bandwidth in Mbps. Please confirm if you mean 2MB/s (16Mbps) or 2Mbps.

Sorry. I meant 2 Mbps

Can you wire the client and server to your router, in order to confirm it is definitely a wifi problem and not some other issue.

• Advertisement

Can you wire the client and server to your router, in order to confirm it is definitely a wifi problem and not some other issue.

Can't wire the client as it has no cat5 port. Will try wiring the server to it to see if that helps. Will report back later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

You cannot really compare them, because of compression Netflix only needs ~5Mbit for HD, a 1080p HD .mkv can need as high as 30Mbit+ which will be a struggle for most wireless, even wireless "n"

Here's some files to test out your network and player, see how high you can go over the network and playing locally to the player http://jell.yfish.us/

Advertisement