Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter advice..

• 09-10-2013 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭

With winter just around the corner I'm looking for advice from the more experienced all year riders round riders among you for the winter months. As I live in Switzerland I will have to deal with snow, ice and salt for a fair few months and need some advice both for myself and for my Ninja 300.

Basically I'm trying to figure out how to protect my bike and tyres from the salt as much as possible. Should I clean the tyres after every trip, how often does the chain need to be cleaned and greased etc. Will the cold have a major impact on fuel and oil?

I realise the importance of staying warm to minimise fatigue and to keep my muscles from working as they should. I'll also be investing in a high visability vest and stickers to make me as visible as possible to all the motorists with their fogged up windows. Speaking of foggy windows, is there something I can buy to keep my visor and mirrors clear?

My driving style will have to change. Less grip, less visibility (darker as well as snow covering obstacles and ice) will mean a reduction in speed and to minimise heavy braking. Should I change how I break with increased emphasis on the rear brake and motor braking?

I won't be in need of my bike much during the winter months (mainly use it for day pleasure trips and getting to/from training/matches (which will be on pause during the winter months anyway)) but would still like the option of being mobile when I just feel the need to go for a spin. I guess mostly city driving and some country roads (which are very well maintained here with regular (some daily) scraping and salting. Won't be going near the motorway!

Maybe it's not a good idea to take her out during the winter (most Swiss don't) but she's been in the shop getting some stuff repaired under warranty for the last week and I really miss her :o

Any advice hugely appreciated even if it's just to tell me that it's not a good idea to use a Ninja 300 in the snow ;) I realise alot of common sense is needed and am wondering if I'm crazy for even considering it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

ACF50 for salt protection, pinlock for the visor, muffs to keep the hands warm, ebay america under atv parts look for seat warmers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Rinse after every run, salt will eat at it if not, and use plenty of ACF50 as advised. Proper wash weekly.

Can you run on summer tyres in winter in Switzerland? I know cars can't.

Look at getting heated clothing, or else thermal base layers and an insulated oversuit. Fit heated grips and if suitable bush guards, muffs can push back onto the levers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd look at getting a set of Heidenau K66 winter tyres, they do the front 110/70/17 but the rear is a 140/70? you may have to go slightly smaller 130/70 17 to get a winter tyre but that won't make much difference.
    These will help a lot with winter grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If you have an average or long commute, I'd recommend a post ride check regime including a quick lubing of the chain. Tyres pressures. A rinse down/ chamois/ coat of FS365 or equivalent. Checking the fluids every other day. Getting in around the calipers with some brake cleaner regularly and checking your brake disc bobbins will be worthwhile. ACF50 for the ali parts as mentioned.

What would be ideal would be if you could set up a Karcher to use after every ride but of course, this depends on your living situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

From my previous winters riding my main thing is keeping your hands warm.

Your body can take a bit of a chill but if your hands are freezing it just makes the journey hell.

Its also dangerous to have your hands very cold as you may not be able to break efficiently. You will either break too hard and lockup your tyres or not break enough.

Your body can take a bit of a chill but if your hands are freezing it just makes the journey hell.

Feet too. Keep the feet warm.

One thing I can advise is that if you can't don't go the route of bar muffs etc, for the days you suffer because of your fingers, put all four fingers on top of the levers pointing straight forward rather than wrapping your hands around the bars. It's very hand for motorway driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Today my hands fooking froze on my way into work.
    Im still trying to hunt down a pair of winter gloves that actually fit me and i can move my fingers enough to hit the controls while wearing them. Anything i tried so far are simply too bulky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Another thing I do in the winter is put my bike gear on about 10 minutes before leaving the house. That way you build up a bit of core temperature before getting on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

A length of pipe-lagging on clutch and brake levers.
    Haven't got around to trying it myself yet but I did stick a couple of layers of electrical tape along the levers instead.
    But really a pair of muffs is the job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

serious3 wrote: »
    ACF50 for salt protection, pinlock for the visor, muffs to keep the hands warm, ebay america under atv parts look for seat warmers!
    ACF50, had never heard of it but after a quick google it seems awesome. Bike was brand new in March and already notice some slight corrosion on the exhaust so this stuff is top of my to buy list! Thanks!
    I'd heard of pinlock before, might see what the cost is for buying one. Are there any low tech options for keeping it clear. I know for diving a bit of spit on the goggles work a treat but surely there must be a spray or something similar?
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Rinse after every run, salt will eat at it if not, and use plenty of ACF50 as advised. Proper wash weekly.

Can you run on summer tyres in winter in Switzerland? I know cars can't.

Look at getting heated clothing, or else thermal base layers and an insulated oversuit. Fit heated grips and if suitable bush guards, muffs can push back onto the levers.
    I think I was told that motorbikes were exempt but when I go collect the bike tomorrow from the garage I'll ask what the law is (insurance as well since they won't pay out if you take stupid risks) and what the cost of some winter tyres would be.
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    I'd look at getting a set of Heidenau K66 winter tyres, they do the front 110/70/17 but the rear is a 140/70? you may have to go slightly smaller 130/70 17 to get a winter tyre but that won't make much difference.
    These will help a lot with winter grip.
    Cheers. Spot on for the tyre specifications for the ninja 300. Will ask if they stock these and if not will do some research on what they do stock.
    cantdecide wrote: »
    If you have an average or long commute, I'd recommend a post ride check regime including a quick lubing of the chain. Tyres pressures. A rinse down/ chamois/ coat of FS365 or equivalent. Checking the fluids every other day. Getting in around the calipers with some brake cleaner regularly and checking your brake disc bobbins will be worthwhile. ACF50 for the ali parts as mentioned.

What would be ideal would be if you could set up a Karcher to use after every ride but of course, this depends on your living situation.
    Karcher, that one of those steam clean machines? General lubing seems like a good idea. Won't be using it to commute, more to get from A to B out in the sticks from time to time (public transport here being as awesome as it is) though a quick check of everything can never hurt.
    Another thing I do in the winter is put my bike gear on about 10 minutes before leaving the house. That way you build up a bit of core temperature before getting on the road.
    I would never have thought of that. Exactly the kind of experienced advice that I'm looking for. Thanks!

Will also get a couple of pair of thinsulates to go under my gloves (perhaps better gloves too) so I can change them if one set gets too wet and cold. Last march when I drove around in the (end of seasons) snow I never noticed any temperature problems with my boots so I guess they ok. Might double up on socks :)

Thanks to all for the advice. Lots of info here to make it a bit less nerve wracking :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cantdecide wrote: »

Power washing a bike to clear out salt isn't a good idea. It could wash the greases out of bearings and force the salt in. Rinsing with water will wash it off without risking bearings.

To get even more heat use a hair dryer to heat up the gear before putting it on.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Power washing a bike to clear out salt isn't a good idea. It could wash the greases out of bearings and force the salt in. Rinsing with water will wash it off without risking bearings.

I should have explained this. A karcher is just a lot more quick and effective at big surface areas and nooks and hollows where salty water gets in such as rad fins, fairing crevices and the like. Stay away from critical areas such as brakes (seals) and axles and swingarm bearings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Usually a Karcher comes with a high-pressure and a low-pressure nozzle. I wouldn't use the high-pressure nozzle on a bike or car (I did use it successfully recently to strip paint off a wall...)

Scrap the cap!

So whats the craic with pinlock?

I think my s900 can take it... Do i just buy the insert and it pops in?

goodlad wrote: »
    So whats the craic with pinlock?

I think my s900 can take it... Do i just buy the insert and it pops in?
    yes, the pinlock visor has two plastic...pins that support each end of the insert.

yes, the pinlock visor has two plastic...pins that support each end of the insert.

Ah cheers man.
    Off i go to huntdown a pinlock visor and a pinlock insert.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Pinlock is a must have for winter riding!

Its good for anti-fog but I get weird reflections from lights.

Its good for anti-fog but I get weird reflections from lights.

I've heard that too. Add that to the fact that wearing glasses means that you end up doing all kinds of breath-holding exercises anyway makes me wonder if a pinlock would work for me anyway. I have a GIVI flip face helmet with the plastic nibs on the visor for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I don't wear glasses in daylight, but need them at night. Pinlock is great, wish it'd been around years ago instead of Fairy Liquid and crappy visor sprays. Foggy mask is great for keeping breath away from glasses. Between the two, I never have to worry about fogging any more :) No problems with reflections with the Pinlock.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement