Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should i do grinds??

• 09-10-2013 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

hey so i'm a first year post-grad studying biomedical engineering. i done a reasonably good leaving cert last June. as a full time student i'm finding it hard to get a job and so i have come up with a brain wave to give grinds???? to junior certs and pass leaving certs. i still have all my notes from both state exams and i have access to all the new books. i was thinking of doing grinds in maths, geography, home economics and maybe Irish. as i done my state exams through Irish i was hoping to do the grinds through English and Irish as well.. . . .?? can someone give me tips on how to go about giving grinds, how much to charge, and really whether i should or not??? please reply!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just because you yourself are good at learning something, it doesn't mean you'll be good at teaching it.

Find a relative or brother or sister of a friend who is struggling with some aspect of one of your subjects. See how you get on teaching them. Once you feel you can do it, then post up an ad in a supermarket and see how you go. The 'through Irish' angle might set you apart from the many others offering grinds.

You'll do at least one hour of preparation for each hour of grinds (if you're doing it properly) so allow for that in your pricing. Have a look at the prices people are asking on the grinds thread and be realistic about what you can charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭itgirl268

i give grinds to my cousin and some siblings and they find it helpful???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭bren2001

Aside from the fact that if you just did you LC then you are not a postgrad... (Postgrad is when you have finished your degree).

When I was in first year engineering I started giving grinds in Maths. Since you are doing Engineering and will do a fair bit of Maths this year then I'd stick with that (you will get plenty of them). You won't be doing Irish or Geography again and you lose touch with a subject fairly quickly. I'd stick up HL for Leaving as well. You cover a lot in Engineering very quickly to help with teaching the course.

Its scary enough doing them for the first time. I started off by charing 25e an hour, upped to 30e the following year and would now charge 40-50 (I'm am doing a post grad now tho!).

I did them in the students house and advertised online and in local shops. If you want to know where online PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

spurious wrote: »
    You'll do at least one hour of preparation for each hour of grinds (if you're doing it properly) so allow for that in your pricing.
    This.

Also allow for it in terms of how much time you can set aside for this without imparting on your coursework.

The idea of sticking mainly to one subject which you're still doing in some form such as maths is a good one; and maths is a subject people are often looking for grinds in, esp with the new PM course which is unfamiliar to many who would have previously given maths grinds.

Also remember that if you have several people doing the same subject it will cur down on the time you need for that prep work ... and don't be in any doubt, if you're going to do this right, and people are going to keep paying you, you will need to put in the prep time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

If you have only just done your leaving cert I would suggest you are not qualified enough to give grinds. You will be coming up against people who have completed degrees in maths and I think you will struggle to compete with them. Up to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭itgirl268

sorry it was a typo error meant under-grad

Advertisement