Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your stew recipe?

Options
  • 09-10-2013 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

It's that time of year again, nothing like a good hearty stew in front of the fire to warm you up as the evenings are getting darker.

My own is still a work in progress as this is only the second time I've ever made it.

Around 5-600g of stewing beef.
    6 carrots.
    4 parsnips.
    A couple of onions or one really big one.
    Half a teaspoon of thyme, oregano, thyme, basil and parsley. Whatever herbs you want to add really.
    Three beef stock cubes.
    A teaspoon of gravy granules.
    2 tablespoons of flour.
    2 tablespoons of butter.

Brown off the meat in a little oil and prepare the veg.
    Throw in all the veg.
    Make up enough stock to cover the lot, around 2 does it for me. And pour over the meat and veg.
    Get another stock cube and crush it in a small bowl with a teaspoon, then add in all your herbs and the gravy granules, mix it together and feck it in.
    Then walk away and leave it, this is the part I really live about stew it does not need to be watched or timed really as long as you give it a good hour and half you'll be grand , I usually throw it on when I am in the door and then just leave it until I am hungry.
    When you are ready to eat make yourself up a roux with the butter and flour, melt the butter in a pan and then add the flour. Add it to the stew pot in small enough incrimiments so you don't get lumps and watch your water turn into a lovely, flavoursome sauce. If you need more then just make it up, 1 table of butter = 1 tablespoon of flour.
    Serve on a bed of spuds :D

The first time I was making it I looked up the internet for recipes and found that they were all a small but conveluted for me, I think a good stew should simplistic and rustic, so I just winged it and came up with this, it's pretty tasty if I may say so myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,589 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Since buying a slow cooker, I've converted my old recipe to this because it's easier and needs less tending to. Prep time is the same but takes a good bit longer to cook, obviously.

500g stewing beef/lamb
    1x onion
    4-6x carrots
    10x baby spuds
    5x cloves garlic
    1x can guinness
    1x cup red wine
    1x tbsp tomato puree
    1x stock cube (usually Knorr beef)
    1x tbsp flour
    Thyme
    Olive oil
    Butter

I pour around 1/4 can and the stock cube into the slow cooker and turn to low. In a large stainless steel pot, I brown the meat in 2-3 tbsp oil and add to SC, also adding the puree.

Using the same pot, I finely chop and sautee the onion in about 1 tbsp oil and 50g butter while chopping the carrots and preparing the spuds, adding them once chopped. If the bottom of the pot is starting to stick, I add in the red wine and maybe some hot water. I let the pot cook for ~20 mins.

In the meantime, I chop and add the garlic to the SC along with more guinness. Once the veg is done, I add the rest of the guinness, the veg and the thyme, cover and cook for 4-6 hours.

30 mins before I am due to eat, I take 2-3 ladles of sauce from the SC and mix it in a bowl with the flour, and perhaps half a stock cube if it needs it. I add this back to the SC, stir it thoroughly and the flour is cooked 30 mins later.

Still needs tweaking, but last one I made was awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

A fish stew that is great cooked with the freshest of grey mullet or hake. This is Spanish in origin and the faint kick of chilli makes it a great winter warmer when your pining for the sunnier months.

Ingredients

olive oil
    6 cloves of garlic
    1 teaspoon coriander seeds
    2 fresh bay leaves
    1 pinch of dried oregano
    1 Spanish dried guanjillo chilli or other dried medium-hot chilli
    2 small onions, peeled and finely sliced
    a 400g can of chopped tomatoes
    300ml dry white wine
    a generous pinch of saffron strands
    1 tsp tomato pure
    juice of 1 orange
    5 medium waxy potatoes or use some small salad potatoes.
    1 x 1.5kg mullet, filleted and skinned, or the same quantity of hake
    chopped parsley

Heat a really good slug of olive oil in a wide shallow lidded saucepan. If you do not have one of these, a casserole is fine.

Smash the garlic and place in the oil and let them slowly sizzle, on not too high a heat, to a golden colour. Chuck in the crushed coriander seeds, oregano and the onions, which you have cut into slivers. Sweat the onions until they are soft but not coloured. When they are ready add the wine and flame off some of the alcohol. Next add the bay leaves, saffron, chopped peeled and de-seeded tomatoes, the tomato paste and orange juice and cook for a further ten minutes on a slow simmer. While the contents cook peel and halve the potatoes lengthways cutting each half, into six pieces. Rinse them. Add the potatoes to the stew making sure they are all submerged in the sauce. Add a little extra water if needs be and a good pinch of salt.

Cook, with the lid, on a gentle simmer until the spuds are nearly tender. While the potatoes cook, cut the fish into large pieces. When the potatoes are done, add the fish, making sure they are sitting in the soupy liquid. Return the lid, and cook for a little more than 6 minutes. Serve this rich stew in bowls sprinkled with chopped parsley and with a dash of olive oil on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

1kg beef chunks
    225g of smoked rashers
    2 onions, finely chopped
    2 carrots, finely chopped
    250g mushrooms, halved
    3 cups red wine
    3 cups beef stock
    2 bay leaves (crumbled)
    1 garlic clove (crushed)
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 tablespoon tomato puree
    Flour
    Butter
    Olive oil
    Salt
    Pepper
    Sugar

Take a large oven proof pot and place on the hob. Chop your rashers and fry in a little olive oil. Set aside. In the same fat, fry your carrots and onions until coloured. Set aside.

Now, pat your beef dry and fry in butter until browned. Add two tablespoons of flour to the pot and toss well to coat. Put in a hot oven (220 C) for five minutes. Remove from oven, toss again. Return to oven for a further 5 minutes. This aids the browning process, giving a rich dark colour. Reduce the oven to 150.

Take your pot out and add the bacon and vegetables back in. Now add the wine, stock, garlic, bay leaves, purée and thyme and stir well. Season with salt, pepper and a teaspoon of sugar. Put in the oven for 2.5 - 4 hours, until the beef is meltingly tender. Stir every now and again to prevent sticking.

Meanwhile, fry the mushrooms in butter and set aside. Once the stew is ready, stir them in to reheat.

We eat this with greens, mashed potato and usually a bit of french bread. It's a fair bit of work but scrumptious.

That's a good looking fish stew, Minder. I'm going to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Yum, some fantastic stews there guys, keep them coming, I already have ideas of what to add to mine next time. Another great thing about stews is that they are perfect for freezing, I have 4 portions of the one I made this evening gone in.

@Minder, that fish stew sounds to die for, I will definitely be trying that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

550g Chicken, diced (thigh or breast)
    300g chorizo, Sliced
    4 medium Carrots, large diced
    4 sticks of Celery, large diced
    3 medium onions, large diced
    3 peppers, large diced
    handful of button mushrooms, halved
    3-5 cloves garlic (depends on size and how much you like Garlic), minced
    2 400g cans of chickpeas (total drained weight will be 480g)
    2 cartons pasata
    2 cans chopped tomatoes
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    Salt and pepper to taste.

In a big assed pot on medium high heat cook off your chorizo to render out the fat and give it some colour, after about 5 minutes it will have given off a lot of fat and they should be nice and evenly coloured.

After 5 minutes add the garlic, cayenne and paprika and stir for about a minute.

Add the carrot, celery and onion and cook for 10-15 minutes at medium heat to soften the veggies a bit and release natural sugars.

Add the peppers, pasta, chopped tomatoes, chickpeas and mushrooms, stir through and bring to the boil and then reduce to a low simmer and cook for about 25 minutes (binds the sauce and cooks the veggies).

Add the Chicken, bring back to a simmer, cook for another 15 minutes (just long enough to cook the chicken really).

Lovely in a bowl by itself or you can bulk it out by serving it over brown rice/buckwheat/quinoa/boiled spuds/whatever you fancy.

Only costs about €1.50 a portion too if you're clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Speak of the devil, just made a pot of Irish Stew for this evening. I keep it simple.

Irish Stew

1kg pieces of lamb shoulder, tossed in 2 tbs seasoned flour
    1 large onion, diced
    5 carrots, sliced at 1"
    5 celery, sliced at 1"
    5 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
    A small bunch of fresh thyme
    1 bay leaf
    1 lamb stock cube
    Enough water to cover
    Salt & pepper to taste
    Bit of oil for sauteeing and browning

turn oven on to 170c.
    Sautee onion in a casserole pot on medium.
    Meanwhile, in a pan on high, brown the lamb in small batches. Set aside.
    With pan still hot, fill with a cup of boiling water, crumble the stock in and let it boil for few seconds.
    Back to pot, throw in thyme, season with salt and pepper very lightly. Then throw in the browned lamb, season very lightly.
    Followed by carrots, celery and potatoes, and season lightly in between too. It's all about seasoning in layers (thanks Cloddagh McKenna).
    Pour in the boiling stock. Add more boiling water if need be until it reaches just under the potatoes. Put a bay leaf on top.
    Turn the heat up until the content just starting to boil. Then put a lid on and transfer to the oven for about an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

8 chicken drumsticks, skin on
    3 sticks celery, plus the green leaves off the top of a head of celery
    one large / two medium onions + 1 onion for stock
    3 carrots + 1 carrot for stock
    3 large potatoes
    2 bay leaves
    1 heaped tsp peppercorns
    2 cloves garlic
    3 tbsps split red lentils
    salt to taste

Line a large pot with the leaves from the head of celery. Sprinkle over the peppercorns. Lay the chicken drumsticks on the leaves. Quarter the stock onion and the stock carrot and dot around the drumsticks. Add one of the bayleaves. Cover with cold water until everything is just covered. Put on the heat. Simmer for between 40 mins and 1 hour.

Strain the stock into a bowl, and separate the drumsticks and leave them to one side until cool enough to handle. Discard (compost or worm farm) the veg you used in the stock.

Strip the meat from the chicken drumsticks, making sure to remove all skin, bone and sinew. Discard the skin, bone and sinew, so you just have a bowl of meat - drumstick is dark meat, which will be far less dry and chewy than if you try this recipe with breast meat.

Cut the remaining carrots, onion and celery into a mirepoix of fine dice. Slice the two cloves of garlic paper-thin. In your stew pot, add the mirepoix vegetables and the garlic and ladle over two ladlefuls of stock. Sweat the veg until soft. Peel and cube your potatoes. Add the rest of the stock, the cubed spuds, the other bayleaf and the lentils to the pot. Place on a very low simmer for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are soft and the lentils have cooked and started to thicken the soup.

Return your chicken to the pot and heat through. Taste for seasoning. Serve.

• Administrators Posts: 53,848 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I always make corn beef stew - most people think it's weird but I am not a fan of normal beef stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

awec wrote: »
    I always make corn beef stew - most people think it's weird but I am not a fan of normal beef stew.

That is a new one on me. It does sound weird but I'd have to try it before judging.

• Advertisement

That is a new one on me. It does sound weird but I'd have to try it before judging.

It's what my grandparents always made for me. I'm not sure if it's technically a stew as it takes like 30 minutes to make.

Boil potatoes, then add carrot, parsnip and onion to the pot and let that simmer and then chop up corned beef and add it in with about 5 minutes to go.

Once it's all cooked, mash it all up in the pot (so it's a smooth stew rather than the usual type).

A lot of people probably wouldn't like it - it doesn't look appetizing because you just mash it all up.

Is the corned beef cooked beforehand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I lve making beef stews ; there's so much room for experimentation.

What I usually do is start with about 1 1/2 pounds of stewing beef, chopped into big cubes.
    Brown them in a pan over a high heat in oil - put into slow cooker.
    Fry up 2-3 diced onions and 2-3 cloves of minced garlic in the same pan and transfer to the cooker
    Toss in 6-8 whole shallots and fry them until they are browned all over - add to cooker
    Fry up half a packet of smoked streaky rashers (diced finely) in the same pan and add to the rest of the ingredients
    Throw some red wine into the pan to get all the residual tasty bits and bung that into the pan at top up with wine - perhaps half the bottle but it's not exact.
    Add chopped thyme, marjoram, tomato puree, fresh ground black pepper.
    Set to low and cook for 8-10 hours until the meat is niced and tender
    I tend to season it along the way with things like mushroom ketchup, worcestershire sauce, anchovy paste, redcurrant jelly, wholegrain mustard

(Yep, I roam the kitchen while it's cooking and look for things that would taste good :D )

Might sounds like a bit of a mishmash but in all honesty I've have never gotten anything but rave reviews for anyone I've fed it to.

Edit: You know what is also really tasty? A spoonful of good-quality oyster sauce.
    Edit 2: finely grated carrot is nice too - it dissolves into the gravy and adds sweetness and light thickening.

awec wrote: »
    It's what my grandparents always made for me. I'm not sure if it's technically a stew as it takes like 30 minutes to make.

Boil potatoes, then add carrot, parsnip and onion to the pot and let that simmer and then chop up corned beef and add it in with about 5 minutes to go.

Once it's all cooked, mash it all up in the pot (so it's a smooth stew rather than the usual type).

A lot of people probably wouldn't like it - it doesn't look appetizing because you just mash it all up.

That sounds a lot like the Scottish dish 'stovies' - leftover meat cooked with potatoes and veg to a mush.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Seaneh wrote: »
    550g Chicken, diced (thigh or breast)
    300g chorizo, Sliced
    4 medium Carrots, large diced
    4 sticks of Celery, large diced
    3 medium onions, large diced
    3 peppers, large diced
    handful of button mushrooms, halved
    3-5 cloves garlic (depends on size and how much you like Garlic), minced
    2 400g cans of chickpeas (total drained weight will be 480g)
    2 cartons pasata
    2 cans chopped tomatoes
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    Salt and pepper to taste.

In a big assed pot on medium high heat cook off your chorizo to render out the fat and give it some colour, after about 5 minutes it will have given off a lot of fat and they should be nice and evenly coloured.

After 5 minutes add the garlic, cayenne and paprika and stir for about a minute.

Add the carrot, celery and onion and cook for 10-15 minutes at medium heat to soften the veggies a bit and release natural sugars.

Add the peppers, pasta, chopped tomatoes, chickpeas and mushrooms, stir through and bring to the boil and then reduce to a low simmer and cook for about 25 minutes (binds the sauce and cooks the veggies).

Add the Chicken, bring back to a simmer, cook for another 15 minutes (just long enough to cook the chicken really).

Lovely in a bowl by itself or you can bulk it out by serving it over brown rice/buckwheat/quinoa/boiled spuds/whatever you fancy.

Only costs about €1.50 a portion too if you're clever.

Do you think this would freeze well?

meoklmrk91 wrote: »

While stews and casseroles generally freeze very well, I've stopped doing large pots of chicken stews/casseroles cause they don't come out of the freezer particularly well. Probably fine for shorter periods, though.

Is the corned beef cooked beforehand?

Aye well I used the tinned stuff, I'm sure you could do it from scratch if you could be bothered. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

meoklmrk91 wrote: »

Freezes grand, I've been eating in for lunch a lot the last few weeks and it's prefect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Just made a stew which is stewing away for later.

2lbs Stewing Steak (was on special)
    3 carrots
    2 onions
    2 spuds
    celery
    mushrooms
    a 500ml bottle of O'Hara's Stout
    500ml knorr beef stock pot
    an oxo cube
    tbsp tomato puree
    some fresh sage and thyme

browned the meat in some butter and seasoned flour
    then sweated the chopped veg and herbs for about 10mins in the same pot
    added back the beef and tomatoe pure
    added the stout and stock and mushrooms
    into the oven at 160 for about 3 hrs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone here like suet dumplings? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Just made a stew which is stewing away for later.

2lbs Stewing Steak (was on special)
    3 carrots
    2 onions
    2 spuds
    celery
    mushrooms
    a 500ml bottle of O'Hara's Stout
    500ml knorr beef stock pot
    an oxo cube
    tbsp tomato puree
    some fresh sage and thyme

browned the meat in some butter and seasoned flour
    then sweated the chopped veg and herbs for about 10mins in the same pot
    added back the beef and tomatoe pure
    added the stout and stock and mushrooms
    into the oven at 160 for about 3 hrs.

I've just put my usual stew in the slow cooker, but this time with a big bottle of stout! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out when I get home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

1 1/3 lb beef
    1/4 cup flour
    3 or4 potatoes, peel and chopped
    3 chopped carrots
    Onion chopped
    2 tsp rosemary
    Stock, made as necessary

Coat beef,
    Brown in oil
    Add stock, I like loads but whatever quantity, 2 cubes worth, bring to boil
    Simmer for 30min
    add the rest, bring to boil
    Simmer for about 15 mins.

Eat up!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

2lb beef
    2oz flour, mix these
    Brown in 2 tbsp oil,

Then add

Can of tomato soup
    Glass of wine
    2 stock cubes
    3 tbsp of mix herbs
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 tsp pepper
    6 chopped onions
    5 chopped peeled spuds
    5 chopped peeled carrots
    200g chopped button mushrooms
    Cover with hot water

Cook over a medium heat for 4 to 5 hrs,
    Remove bay leaves.

These aren't my recipes, but they are my favorites!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Dolbert wrote: »
    I've just put my usual stew in the slow cooker, but this time with a big bottle of stout! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out when I get home :)

Snap :) Mine's nearly ready now...a Cork take on it though (can of Beamish) :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone here like suet dumplings? :)

love em:)

always make loads, cos no one else really likes them , but I always 'forget' that!

I grew up eating beef stew, yorkshire puddings and suet dumplings (I'm a Yorkshire girl!)

Can't beat them for comfort food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

2cgbzmv.jpg

olive oil
    2 large spoons of flour
    Beef
    Half large onion
    4 large mushrooms
    1 tin tomatoes blended
    Two large fat carrots
    Four stalks of celery
    2 beef stock cubes with tomato paste mixed into a litre of water
    6 suet dumplings (100grms flour/50grms suet)
    black pepper and chive powder

enough for about 3 large helpings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Lamb Stew

Ingredients

Diced lamb 400-500 grams, sometimes more if I have money for it. I love lots of meat in a stew.
    2-3 Shoulder lamb chops
    2-3 Carrots
    4 sticks Celery
    8 large / 10 small potatoes
    2 red onions
    4 Garlic cloves
    Generous glug of Port or red wine
    Olive oil
    Salt/Pepper/Oregano/basil/thyme/rosemary
    1 Tin chopped tomatoes
    500ml Oxtail soup mix (I use one tablespoon mixed with 500ml boiling water)
    Beef Stock pot (I only use this for thickening, if your stew is thick enough for you don’t put in a stock pot)

1) Brown some lamb chops and diced lamb in a frying pan and then put them into the pot, then throw some chopped onions into the pan the lamb was in and put in some port with them, then throw that on top of the chops along with some carrots and spuds.

2) Mixed up tinned chopped tomatoes, dried basil, dried oregano, salt and pepper into a jug and mix it up and pour it into the pot, along with some boiling water. I like a lot of liquid in in my stew so use as much as you think you need.

3) Leave everything to simmer for about two to two and a half hours and then serve.

Remember to keep a check on it and if you want to add a stock pot, add it about 40 minutes before you want to serve.

Advertisement