Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potatoes - Bugs buried into them

• 09-10-2013 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

I'm an accidental gardener in the way that a few years ago I threw some old potatoes into a soil patch and since then they have started to grow. This year I just decided to harvest since the green plant has started to die.

They were whopper potatoes but on closer inspection there are little holes and when I cut open some of the potato had like tunnels with black bug and some larvae inside..

Anyway to stop this happening? Majority of the potato is fine so just cut the bad bits off but still :/

X

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

I think crop rotation or lack of,imho, is in part the reason for the bugs in the spuds X.
    Once a crop is grown in the same ground for successsive seasons you get a build up of pests associated with that particular vegetable. There are always so manys variables in veg growing, soil type,location,drainage etc.
    If you would like to try keep the rotation very simple(ideally a 3/4 year rotation cycle), a crop that grows below ground this year will be followed by a crop that grows above ground the following year. Keeping in mind the different nutrient levels and conditions that each crop grow well under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭paulbok

Sounds like wire worm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I think crop rotation or lack of,imho, is in part the reason for the bugs in the spuds X.
    Once a crop is grown in the same ground for successsive seasons you get a build up of pests associated with that particular vegetable. There are always so manys variables in veg growing, soil type,location,drainage etc.
    If you would like to try keep the rotation very simple(ideally a 3/4 year rotation cycle), a crop that grows below ground this year will be followed by a crop that grows above ground the following year. Keeping in mind the different nutrient levels and conditions that each crop grow well under.
    I promised you an easy way to remember this rotation cycle, so here it is in the form of a mnemonic, a sentence to help you memorise a string of words. If we take the five groups, potato (P, legumes (L), brassicas (B), onions (O), and roots (R), and put them in a line, this gives us the letters PLBOR.
    Remember the sentence "People like bunches of roses" and you will have memorised PLBOR, the rotation cycle, potato (P), legumes (L), brassicas (B), onions (O), and roots (R).

From here.

Advertisement