Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple software "click counter" that generates a graph

Options
  • 09-10-2013 7:33pm

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows of a piece of software that works as a software version of a click counter that generates and plots a graph/chart showing the time of day the clicks were performed at? I'd go for something paid if it fits the bill. To elaborate, I'd click a software button within the interface so I can count the occurrence of something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Sacramento wrote: »
    Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows of a piece of software that works as a software version of a click counter that generates and plots a graph/chart showing the time of day the clicks were performed at? I'd go for something paid if it fits the bill. To elaborate, I'd click a software button within the interface so I can count the occurrence of something.

Are you talking about on a web page? So for example, someone visits your webpage, clicks a link to go to another site or load a pdf or something like that and you want to track how many people went to another site from your site, or how many people loaded the pdf file from your site...

If so, then check out event tracking on google's analytics. This enables you to monitor 'events' which can be a click of a hyperlink (IIRC) as well as other stuff.

from here:
    Events are user interactions with content that can be tracked independently from a web page or a screen load. Downloads, mobile ad clicks, gadgets, Flash elements, AJAX embedded elements, and video plays are all examples of actions you might want to track as Events.

I'm a little confused about what you are trying to do, but if its something on a web page then the above should get you close to what you are after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You could write a simple macro for a spreadsheet application which on click put a 1 in one column the time in the next and incremented the row. At the end of the day you could sum the column with the '1's grouping by time interval using the time.

You could then plot the group totals.

Alternatively on click you could determine the time interval using the time and increment the total for that time interval. Again at the end of the day you could plot the data.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Are you talking about on a web page? So for example, someone visits your webpage, clicks a link to go to another site or load a pdf or something like that and you want to track how many people went to another site from your site, or how many people loaded the pdf file from your site...

If so, then check out event tracking on google's analytics. This enables you to monitor 'events' which can be a click of a hyperlink (IIRC) as well as other stuff.

from here:

I'm a little confused about what you are trying to do, but if its something on a web page then the above should get you close to what you are after.

No it's to count the amount of people that come up to an IT Desk, nothing to do with a website. It'll help me figure out what the busiest times are.

FSL wrote: »
    You could write a simple macro for a spreadsheet application which on click put a 1 in one column the time in the next and incremented the row. At the end of the day you could sum the column with the '1's grouping by time interval using the time.

You could then plot the group totals.

Alternatively on click you could determine the time interval using the time and increment the total for that time interval. Again at the end of the day you could plot the data.

I think that's a bit beyond me, I'll look into but I was hoping for something simpler. It'd be nice to have a graph in excel though.

Advertisement